Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Death Valley Xterra Overland Adventure - A Final Send-Off...  (Read 13376 times)

Snoopy

• 4wd Pts: 2
Death Valley Xterra Overland Adventure - A Final Send-Off...
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
I haven't been on the message board much in the last few years but wanted to provide an update...

Early last year we sold our beloved Xterra named "Snoopy". There were two main reasons for moving on:
1) Snoop had over 300,000 well-loved miles. With so many miles I was losing confidence that he would be able to make extended trips without break-downs.
2) We moved to Europe. With gas prices being well over $6.30 a gallon, it didn't make sense to have a rig that only gets 14 MPG. I also wanted to blend into the community - Nothing screams American in Europe more than a lifted SUV with steel bumpers and a roof-top tent.

Sadly, it was time to end our Xterra owner streak of more than 16 years...

But not without a proper send-off. We did a four-day trip through Trona Pinnacles, Death Valley, Eureka Dunes, and Alabama Hills and brought along a DJI Mavic drone, a GoPro, and our iPhone 6 to made the following video of the trip:

It's been a great ride and a great community of like-minded enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Travis and Chantil Gill
2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD
2005 Nissan Xterra Offroad
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:07:48 PM by Snoopy »

FrankB

Re: Death Valley Xterra Overland Adventure - A Final Send-Off...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »
That was quick Travis.  Thanks.

For anyone who has not seen this, it is a great video. 

The Iceland video is great too, and I'm looking forward to seeing the others, and more as they show up.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
Wow, a small drone and a big imagination make a great video.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy Europe (on a moped? ::))
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Snoopy

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »
...enjoy Europe (on a moped? ::))

It's worse than a moped - a VW Golf  :(

Snoopy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 01:39:33 PM »
...It is a great video. 

The Iceland video is great too, and I'm looking forward to seeing the others, and more as they show up.
Thanks Frank for the kind comment. We'll be exploring Europe via adventure motorcycles for the immediate future. Perhaps other Xterras will be in our future?

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:51:24 PM »
Snoopy!

What a coincidence... I was just reading your old post in XOC and was hoping to find your XSNOOPY site. Glad to hear from you again! Not sure if you remember me but I had the black 2002 S/C still with dealer plates when I joined the club back in 2003. I remember you took amazing pics on your trip down south when you borrowed Brian's RTT. Anyhow, good luck on your endeavors in Europe!

Sick movie! Love the drone shots. What an epic send off indeed!

Take care,
Fred
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:01:53 PM by XterracerX »
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Snoopy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
Snoopy!

What a coincidence... I was just reading your old post in XOC and was hoping to find your XSNOOPY site. Glad to hear from you again! Not sure if you remember me but I had the black 2002 S/C still with dealer plates when I joined the club back in 2003. I remember you took amazing pics on your trip down south when you borrowed Brian's RTT. Anyhow, good luck on your endeavors in Europe!

Sick movie! Love the drone shots. What an epic send off indeed!

Take care,
Fred

Fred,

Great to hear from you again. For sure, I remember. Borrowing that Hannibal RTT and going to San Felipe definitely set us on the path for two things:
1) Buying our own RTT someday. We still have our AirTop in storage and are looking forward to using it on the next rig.
2) Returning to Baja. Last year, in April, my wife and I rode adventure motorcycles through mostly Baja Norte:

Thank you for the kind comments on our Xterra video. I'm glad we had that trip but I do miss that rig. It was a great overlander.

Cheers,
Travis

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:26:49 PM by Snoopy »

TurboChris

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2005 Xterra
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:30 PM »
Damn, you got skills with the editing software. GREAT job!

Snoopy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »
Thanks Chris!

mark1107

• 4wd Pts: -6
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 04:40:02 PM »
Travis and Chantil you will be missed. I had fun with you guys back in 2005-2008 on sccx adventures! Enjoy Europe, I’m sure it’s better than Murica right now.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
"Enjoy Europe, I’m sure it’s better than Murica right now. "

Ummm, come again?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:58:10 PM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

mark1107

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »
  Ummm, come again?

“Enjoy Europe, I’m sure it’s better than Murica right now.”  What I Love about America and SCCX is that regardless of politics we all love the outdoors and our Xterras. I’m not going to explain myself. I’d love to meet you face to face Celt and shake your hand and hopefully make a new friend at the next gathering. Cheers.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
“Enjoy Europe, I’m sure it’s better than Murica right now.”  What I Love about America and SCCX is that regardless of politics we all love the outdoors and our Xterras. I’m not going to explain myself. I’d love to meet you face to face Celt and shake your hand and hopefully make a new friend at the next gathering. Cheers.

Understand this, I dearly love my country and I will defend it to my own demise if necessary. Many on this forum have, will and do stand everyday and night so that we can sleep at peace in our beds. I don't care about your politics. In fact I would defend your politics to the end even though I may be polar opposite because I believe in what this nation was founded on and it's Constitution. When someone posts something about Europe being better because they don't care for the politics here at home it opens wounds that run deep especially for those who have bled for this country or those who did not get the chance to come home to their loved ones out of love of country.  Know that there are many who do not agree with statements like yours and will tell you so. If you don't want to explain yourself that's your prerogative but you can also expect that others like myself will explain ourselves to you. I'm not trying to insult you, you need to understand that I dearly love my country and anytime someone takes a poke at it, it's not appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:22:15 PM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »

Celt is not the person you want to poke .... tread carefully.

mark1107

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 04:48:04 AM »

Celt is not the person you want to poke .... tread carefully.

Hey Edwin, you know what's great about SCCX?  I've enjoyed being part of the club the last 13 years, is that we all love 4 wheeling and camping, and exploring. As I said previously, I'd love to meet the current active members including Celt and yourself and I personally will skip the politics.

SCCX is great that it's a social club that doesn't have political rules. I think SCCX is big enough for any range of views, even polar opposites. Cheers.