Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Being prepared.  (Read 2261 times)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Being prepared.
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
With the current earthquake advisory going around,  I been thinking. I haven't done an inventory check on my bug out bags in a while.

To some I may sound crazy, over reacting  or some sorts but I always been some "sorta" prepared for real time emergencies such as the obvious; earthquakes, economical meltdown, tsunami etc.  Does anyone  here besides me carry a BOB in their rigs?

Currently I'm inventorying my personal BOB and hopefully by tomorrow I will have one for my wife and now the new addition, my son. I stumbled upon this article about the 3 case rule.

http://www.overlandbound.com/ultimate-overland-checklist/

Just want to see others opinions or hints (if any) that would be helpful. Hopefully I'm not the crazy one on here. ( silently placing my tinfoil hat)  :P

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Being prepared.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
  I don't think you are crazy at all. Growing up here in Julian in the early 70's we had torrential rains one winter. A few here are old enough to remember it and it was bad. All of the main roads were washed away up there and you literally could not get in or out for over a week. Many places in San Diego like Mission Valley was under water. Our dirt road was completely washed out and impassable, I'm talking ditches 7' deep by a good 5' wide that used to be roads. The power was gone and so were the phone lines. We were stuck there with what we had on hand. Thankfully we had a good supply of wood for the stoves and oil for the lamps but that was just life growing up. There were several other times where the power lines would go out for a week or more and water lines from the well would freeze solid. I have evacuated on very short notice due to wild fire and I can tell you that is no fun.

Another fun filled threat we deal with here is the constant threat of earthquake. I think if you don't have your basic needs met and on hand you are already behind the power curve. I don't think you are crazy at all for thinking this way. Just the trips this group goes on folks need to be prepared for breakdowns or extreme weather delays or just plain getting stuck in really bad storms. I will sometimes go out into the desert alone but you can be assured I have resources to hoof it out if I need to although that would be a last resort in most situations. I think where many folks get kind of wild is they pack a backpack full of stuff you really don't need and it ends up weighing 60+ pounds. If you decide a go-bag is something you might need I would take a look at setting it up to be a little dynamic to meet your specific needs for what your environment might dictate then add in it worst case scenarios. An example might be going into the desert on a day run so you bring water of course but what if you get stuck and have to spend two or three days out there? So you might need to adjust for that making sure you now have enough to keep you and everyone you have with you need hydrated and warm/dry at night. One of the biggest threats is exposure and once your body goes below 97.7f you are in deep kimchi. Wind, moisture and uninsulated ground below you will drastically speed this up. I would take a look at first aid as well. Not the Band-Aid style kits, I'm more referring to major trauma and get the training to use the stuff and knowledge to improvise. I'm not talking about becoming some sort of wilderness paramedic but I am talking about learning how to plug holes and keep someone breathing until you can get them to help. Just by the nature of off roading a lot of very serious injuries can occur and being well versed in traumatic first aid during that golden hour after injury can mean the difference between life and death.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom but the reality is we live in a not so friendly artificial environment. Just about everything we need here is shipped in and if there is a momentary break in that chain things can go to heck quick. Even that 24 hour power outage we had about six years ago was a mess. There was cars parked all along the freeways because they were out of gas. People were in really bad shape because they had no flashlights, candles or a way to prepare any food and in some cases could not get water. There were people panicking because they couldn't get baby formula or basic needs for their children stranded out along the roads who lived out of town all because of an issue out of state. There weren't services available to immediately help them other than in very serious cases. There was in a few hours looting going on as well which wasn't as much reported on. Stuff goes south real quick in a bad situation. So no, I do not think you are crazy at all............ 
Isaiah 6:8