Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What is an FRS Radio and what should I look into when shopping for one?  (Read 9625 times)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
Hi guys.  I need to get an FRS radio for our next Xcursion but I'm not familiar with them.  Are they different than CB radios?  What should I look for and where can I find them cheap?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

chad

• 4wd Pts: 2
Re: What is an FRS Radio and what should I look into when shopping for one?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
just go to radio shack, fry's electronics ect.. you could get two of them with a charger for under $50
Hey don't get me wrong or anything, I have been in the outdoors but... is it always this dusty????

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
Costco has them as well, but I think they might be in 3-packs and a little more expensive.

Having at least 2 is not a bad idea, in case one breaks, or the battery dies, or Bruce shows up without one  ;D.

(just kidding Bruce)

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
They're all pretty much the same. That said I would recommend Cobra, Midland, Motorola or another higher quality one. Mine takes a beating wheeling as I go between radio and wheel. NiMH batteries are nice too. Take any maximum range claims as worthless.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

strikedistance

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel 4x4
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »
Yeah diffinately get two. I will always need one :)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »
So if I get an FRS radio, I'll be able to hear others on a CB radio?  Or is it a different system?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »
So if I get an FRS radio, I'll be able to hear others on a CB radio?  Or is it a different system?

FRS and CB are two separate systems, so one won't receive from or transmit to the other. We generally use FRS, some other clubs use CB more.

The FRS radios are fairly inexpensive, every vehicle on a run should have one. They are the primary mode of communication between vehicles for us.  We mention CB as an alternate, but not everyone has one, and from what I've seen they are not used much on our runs. If you only have CB someone would have to relay the messages to you.

To save Paul the trouble of typing it: those of us who have not yet gotten HAM licenses (myself included) really should do that. Much better range, benefits, etc.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »
Those of you who have not yet gotten HAM licenses (Frank included) really should do that. Much better range, benefits, etc.  ;)

The nice thing about ham radio is that all the questions are published, the exam is only $14 and it's good for ten years. There is no code required - no dots or dashes anymore. The license to get is the Technicians Class which gives you access to the very useful 2M and 440 MHz bands and a bunch more. We use 2M for truck to truck communications.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon