Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Expedition Advice Needed  (Read 16053 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Expedition Advice Needed
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »
Sir, that is very disappointing news indeed. I was hoping you could have gone on this most excellent adventure of a lifetime so we could live vicariously through you. Something of a SCCX "reporter at large" type that could send daily updates. In fact, I bet if we took up a collection of gear and supplies from the general active membership here I think you might just have a shot at meeting all the requirements.
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
Well from what it seems the nefarious group's ramrod trail leader, advice giver, task master, scotch drinking, mastermind "grand poobah" said I cannot attend because I did not meet the requirements of three spare tires, scotch (Which I personally think is nasty), overloaded trailer, .45/70 carbine, 10 spare fuel cans, three fridge/freezers, 3 advanced tool kits, portable welder, portable toilet (This one seems to be a very big one), some thing called a "jenna jameson" stripper toy for my antenna that I can post youtube vidoes of while driving down the roadway and the obligatory bug-suit. It was a similar story for some trip called the "Rubicon" where said glorious leader thought my vehicle was not up to the task because I didn't have his mandatory self approved gearing. Although I suspect something went awry because from all reports on the day of the trip the only other person that showed up was a passenger... But that is an entirely different story and I digress......

Man these trips with the grand poobah are getting harder and harder to attend. The requirements are vast, the skills are many and I just don't think I'm up to the task. No wonder I don't have my own personalized nametag yet. Maybe with many many more years of diligent wheeling, spending a good majority of my disposable income at his choice of fix-it places for the grand poobah's list of approved upgrades and sending the grand poobah trip reports and videos of my severely lacking wheeling abilities I may one day be accepted into his approval and given the slight nod of approval. Then and only then will I have the rights to purchase my very own "Bonnet cover" so I too can get the admiration of the off road world as I come thundering down the trail in 4l with lockers a-blazin on those tough flat dusty sections somewhere around trails like the Pontiac Sleuce. Until then FrankB, I just don't see me attending any of these expedition extraordinaire trips with the grand poobah and his group of intrepid followers.

Very humorous...and pretty much all factual.

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »
 O0

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
This whole thread got me to thinking...which usually leads to a lot of wasted keyboard time, and thread reply typing, with finger hovered over the "reply" button...only to transition over to, and finally hit "delete" instead.

Can anyone relate to this syndrome?  ;)

This whole thread bears the bigger question...and relative to what we really do here at SCCX...but The Big Q in my mind is...what makes a respected trail leader/Xcursion thread into a well followed, politely attended, trail run?

What are the successful ingredients? 

That fine line between spontaneous combustion and organized chaos?

The continental shift from a well oiled campfire session, to the tail spinning lapse into a Teakettle Junction trailer repar?

How does it all happen...I wondered?  :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »
...and instead of beating the dead horse here, and mocking the efforts of a dude draped in netting, further glorifying his glory hole...which is the center of that narcissistic forum universe we all live in...

...I'd like to try to put a positive spin on why we are all here:

To post, lightly organize, and "run/run's"...how does that happen exactly?

I've seen it for years, done it for small groups, big groups (37 vehicles through Rattlesnake Canyon, no fist fights or flat tires  :D :D) and led countless groups across Moab slickrock...but how exactly, does "leading the trail" work, beyond posting the "What:  Where:  When:  Who:  How: " lists on a forum post.

I firmly believe that preparation and patience are the critical ingredients, as well as experience.  Acting like you've been there, when, well, you have actually been there.

And resisting the narcissistic urge to post every development, wrinkle, map update, toilet stop, etc. has a lot to do with that.  It's one thing to post pictures of the ammo that you "might use" when you face a bear, or to spool your winch line on a trail because you can...but to actually see bears and live to tell about it, or use that winch successfully and remain calm while doing so...there is a gulf the size of Mexico between those two scenarios of keyboard reality vs. blood pumping smell the fear reality.  But I digress....

Preparation and patience.

What do you guys think makes a good trail leader?
KD6DCI

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
...and instead of beating the dead horse here, and mocking the efforts of a dude draped in netting, further glorifying his glory hole...which is the center of that narcissistic forum universe we all live in...

...I'd like to try to put a positive spin on why we are all here:

To post, lightly organize, and "run/run's"...how does that happen exactly?

I've seen it for years, done it for small groups, big groups (37 vehicles through Rattlesnake Canyon, no fist fights or flat tires  :D :D) and led countless groups across Moab slickrock...but how exactly, does "leading the trail" work, beyond posting the "What:  Where:  When:  Who:  How: " lists on a forum post.

I firmly believe that preparation and patience are the critical ingredients, as well as experience.  Acting like you've been there, when, well, you have actually been there.

And resisting the narcissistic urge to post every development, wrinkle, map update, toilet stop, etc. has a lot to do with that.  It's one thing to post pictures of the ammo that you "might use" when you face a bear, or to spool your winch line on a trail because you can...but to actually see bears and live to tell about it, or use that winch successfully and remain calm while doing so...there is a gulf the size of Mexico between those two scenarios of keyboard reality vs. blood pumping smell the fear reality.  But I digress....

Preparation and patience.

What do you guys think makes a good trail leader?
I believe it's being able to adapt quickly, have patience, and remain laid back.  Have a plan but be willing to be flexible. On that LCC run last month, we took a little longer in the Canyon than I had expected, but I don't think anyone felt rushed. We still got to explore a few sites and hit pavement right at sunset, as planned. Everyone was safe and I think had an okay time.

Some spots in the Canyon were more rocky than I remembered and didn't have bypasses. We managed to spot everybody through, with zero issues. You have to be willing to adapt and not lose your mind when you're not right on schedule. Plug through and have fun.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2016, 06:33:07 PM »
I think after deciding on which run you want to setup knowing your target audience is important. It's always difficult when there is a lot of folks you don't know or their capabilities. Posting up what to expect and giving people the chance to voice their concerns and respond to them is important. Whenever I've ever led a run, safety and doing what I can to make sure everyone is having a good time is important. If I'm not leading a run I like to make sure to check in with the trail leader to see if I can do anything for them. Often times the trail leader goes home exhausted because it can be a whole lot of work, anyone that does not understand this should try leading one. They will quickly get a new appreciation for what needs to be done. A lot of planning goes in for a good leader with some delegation for those willing to step up to the plate as well. Once delegated you have to be able to trust your people and let them work. The people going on the trip play a huge part of the run not only supporting the trail leader but taking care of each other with minor details and issues is super important. The trail leader does not have a magic wand and might well make a wrong turn or the weather and conditions are always changing so cutting them a little slack is helpful. Having Fire Jenga and the ability to laugh knowing you are in good company can make it a really nice memorable run too!