Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Expedition Advice Needed  (Read 16051 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Expedition Advice Needed
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 07:02:21 AM »
More so than you know.  I've been reading up on information from the trip leader, and trying to figure out where to stuff three spare tires and a couple of cases of Scotch into the Prius.  Apparently there are more requirements than I originally thought.  I guess I could look into some sort of custom made gizmo that will allow me to store stuff on the hood in small bags.  Since it's a hybrid there is not a lot of heat generated up there, so it should be safe.  Has anyone ever heard of such a storage system?  I think the Limeys (Brits) may have done something like that on their Land Rovers in WWII; I think I recall it from watching episodes of Rat Patrol when I was a kid.
Putting the storage system on the hood will probably reduce the aerodynamics and seriously reduce the efficiency of your Prius. It is my suggestion that you buy three low profile trailers from China and use one for your spare parts. Make sure the trailer is low enough to stay in the slipstream of the car.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 07:59:16 AM »
Putting the storage system on the hood will probably reduce the aerodynamics and seriously reduce the efficiency of your Prius. It is my suggestion that you buy three low profile trailers from China and use one for your spare parts. Make sure the trailer is low enough to stay in the slipstream of the car.

True but I'll raise you one here to chew on. Don't you need an additional three spare tires for each of those trailers? This is turning out to be a humdinger of a mess here trying to get these expedition style answers for Frank in a timely and accurate manner. The other thing is how can you protect that mandatory Scotch from marauding raccoons and Canadian's along the way, eh?
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
. . . . The other thing is how can you protect that mandatory Scotch from marauding raccoons and Canadian's along the way, eh?

I always figured that was the real reason for the .45/70, eh.

As for the bears, all I have to do is be able to run faster than a certain someone in a bug suit and flip flops.  How hard can that be, eh?

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 09:57:01 AM »
True but I'll raise you one here to chew on. Don't you need an additional three spare tires for each of those trailers? This is turning out to be a humdinger of a mess here trying to get these expedition style answers for Frank in a timely and accurate manner. The other thing is how can you protect that mandatory Scotch from marauding raccoons and Canadian's along the way, eh?
In that case, I suggest removing half of the batteries from the floor pan and putting the tires in the open space there. This will retain aerodynamics and keep the center of gravity low.

R. Long

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
Its my understanding that the standard for these type expeditions is to bring the multitude of spares to burn one each night in the camp fire to keep the bugs at bay.  If thats the case, you will gain aerodynamics as the trips goes on.

Celt

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
Its my understanding that the standard for these type expeditions is to bring the multitude of spares to burn one each night in the camp fire to keep the bugs at bay.  If thats the case, you will gain aerodynamics as the trips goes on.

Hmmmmmm, very interesting idea and might really work well. Just make sure you are nowhere near places that are known to do so because you might find yourself surrounded by Blackhawk helicopters.......

Celt

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
I always figured that was the real reason for the .45/70, eh.

As for the bears, all I have to do is be able to run faster than a certain someone in a bug suit and flip flops.  How hard can that be, eh?

But I thought the plan at least according to advice on other websites was to jump up and down while yelling. I suppose making a spectacle out of yourself it might work?

Celt

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »
I wonder if you couldn't do something like a combination bug spray/bear spray claymore mine style device? You could duct tape 5 or 6 cans in combination together and mount them alongside your vehicle to each of the sides. Then when the mosquitoes get too bad figure out a way to activate the bug/bear-bomb. You would have a massive cloud of bug killing/bear thwarting gasses throughout the entire camp. If you did like Rik advised and got a Chinese trailer or two to tow along resupplying of your bug/bear bombs wouldn't be a problem because you could store an infinite amount in them. Please make regular posts when you go and you could get an attractive handle like "FrankBUSA" to post in all the forums to get everyone's attention. I'd love to hear about FrankBUSA goes to the store. FrankBUSA buys stuff. FrankBUSA goes somewhere else, FrankBUSA does something, FrankBUSA does something, FrankBUSA is going to go back to the store, again, FrankBUSA wait what? Oh shoot I think I got off topic sorry.

P.S. The other thing I'm curious about is communications? Are you a current HAM because if you are "I must scream it to the world from someplace high."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:52:57 PM by Celt »

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »
Hmmmmmm, very interesting idea and might really work well. Just make sure you are nowhere near places that are known to do so because you might find yourself surrounded by Blackhawk helicopters.......
Blackhawk helicopters, this made me laugh, a lot.

R. Long

FrankB

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »
. . . .   P.S. The other thing I'm curious about is communications? Are you a current HAM because if you are "I must scream it to the world from someplace high."

I come from a family of Sicilian immigrants.  We don't need no stinking licenses to deal with pork products.

FrankB

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 06:22:46 PM »
I've received a lot of helpful advice here so far, but it has occurred to me that the reason I may not be seeing more responses is because I was somewhat vague as to the details of the trip.  Here is link to thread on TheNewX where the trip is being set up, maybe after you've reviewed it you can provide more helpful suggestions to me.  For several reasons that are probably quite obvious, I'm reluctant to post my questions in the trip thread itself, mostly for fear of being ridiculed.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/43-pacific/131538-dalton-highway-deadhorse-ak-prepare-now-2017-a.html

While you are over there, check out the current Truck of the Month.

FrankB

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
  But I thought the plan at least according to advice on other websites was to jump up and down while yelling. I suppose making a spectacle out of yourself it might work?

Wouldn't jumping up and down and yelling just attract more bears?  They seem to quite curious animals by nature, always getting their heads stuck in pots of honey, or checking to see what's in unattended picnic baskets.

FrankB

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »
Any further help would certainly be appreciated.

Last time I looked I had only 241 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes, and 17 seconds before the trip starts.  In my world that is not a lot of time, and some of that has already been used up just in posting this message.

Celt

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
I come from a family of Sicilian immigrants.  We don't need no stinking licenses to deal with pork products.

HHAHAHAHHA................

Celt

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
Blackhawk helicopters, this made me laugh, a lot.

I knew someone would get the reference!