Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Expedition Advice Needed  (Read 16054 times)

FrankB

Expedition Advice Needed
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
I have some questions, and I’m hoping that some of the more experienced here can help me out.  I’m thinking of joining an upcoming expedition-type trip, but I see some potential concerns, and I don’t have any personal experience in these matters.

This trip will take place in an area that is known to have huge amounts of mosquitos.  Big-ass mosquitos.  I’m very concerned about this, not only because of the general discomfort, but also because of potential for Malaria or Zika.  I figure that at my age Malaria could kill me; and with Zika, that could seriously hamper my ability to attract a younger mate in the future, because, face it, no girl wants to have a baby with a shrunken head.  It sounds like a full-body bug suit is a must, but I’m wondering, how does one safely relieve oneself in the outdoors in this situation.  Won’t there be some exposed (and rather sensitive) skin for the mosquitos to attack?  Or, do the full-body bug suits have some sort of provision for this?  I’ve only seen one picture of the bug suit, and can’t tell from looking at it.

Another concern for this particular trip, is that it apparently goes through an area known to have lots of large carnivorous land mammals roaming freely (as in free-range big-ass grizzly bears).  I think that one of the equipment requirements for the trip is to have an equally big-ass rifle, which I can certainly understand.  Leaving aside the fact that the recoil of the suggested 45-70 will likely knock me flat on my ass if I have to use it (I’m not a very big guy), my question is a more practical one.  I just can’t figure out how one can urinate, swat away mosquitos and shoot a bear all at the same time.  I’m reluctant to ask this question to the trip leader for fear of being laughed at, but I really wonder if perhaps a part of the trip rules should be a required “buddy system” for times like this, at least for the shooting the bear part.

A last concern has to do with gas mileage.  As we all know, gas mileage in an Xterra is not all that great.  I’m thinking of instead using my daily driver, which is a Prius. The route is a combination of pavement and graded dirt.  I figure I should be able to make it the entire way without stopping for fuel, even with a rooftop tent installed. It’s the Touring model, so it should be up to the demands of the trip, or they would not have named it “Touring”.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Expedition Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 12:59:22 AM »
Pee through the bug suit on the bear while he is munching on said big ass mosquitoes?
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 01:00:46 AM »
Wow Frank, that's a lot of info to mull over. I understand you have serious concerns about contracting the Zika if you are travelling in those areas prone to it. As to the .45/70 question, they do for sure pack a whallop and probably be my first choice for such uses but hey what do I know? You Touring Prius I would think could go the distance and you would probably save quite a bit in money. As memory serves me there is a thread over at TNX where a similar trip is being discussed. Maybe you could post this over there as I'm sure you could get some great advice to your many questions. It seems the amount of folks originally signed up has diminished significantly so they might just want to include you in the trip as it sounds like you are doing your research now which is half the game. Good luck on the trip and make sure you take lots of pics if you can go!!
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
Alaska or Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »
Yeah, take plenty of pics and vids, cuz I sure as hell ain't goin' to where ever the mosquitos can eat grizzlys :o
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
Alaska or Canada?

Alaska, but from what I understand we'll have to drive through Canada to get there.  I guess that means maybe dealing with the occasional moose too, eh?

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 10:23:43 PM »
Well...I know a place that sells Ex-Officio brand clothing that will help protect you from mosquitoes, as well as some other repellent products.

As far as grizzlies go Frank, well, that's a tougher call. Google "Todd Orr grizzly attack" for every thing you "could" do to survive a grizzly attack...twice, by the same bear.

From what I understand the best protection is preparedness and avoidance.

Keep us posted, and very much look forward to your great photo journals of your travels.

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 04:32:42 PM »
You have to careful transporting FIREARMS through Canada,
It can be done just need the right paperwork. (no handguns) I think
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 04:42:40 PM »
You have to careful transporting FIREARMS through Canada,
It can be done just need the right paperwork. (no handguns) I think

Yeah, you might look silly trying to transport say a .45/70 and telling the Canadian Customs it's for defense. They tend to frown on that sort of thing in that part of the world from what I understand. I do know that they affix a Canadian seal to the storage container after inspection entering the country and have to inspect it on the way out. If it's broken they have zero sense of humor about that. If you shoot a bear in your camp you are still going to have a lot of explaining to do and might well land yourself in some hot water. At the very least get your firearms confiscated. 9 times out of 10 bear encounters are because people are stupid, doing stupid things to attract the bears. I'm more with Ghost on this that avoidance is much smarter than trying to pick a fight with something that's an apex hunter. Sorry Frank, I hope I'm not derailing this fact finding post of yours.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
Netflix ----Border Crossing Canada--
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

FrankB

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »
I seem to recall that the trip leader may have some ideas about exactly what to say when declaring the firearms at the Canadian border.  I think he has it all worked out.

I'm thinking of going with just bear spray instead of a gun, but my only worry with that is that with my poor close-up vision I'm afraid I might confuse the bear spray can with the bug spray can.  I have a feeling that might not be such a good idea.

Celt

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 12:23:47 AM »
I seem to recall that the trip leader may have some ideas about exactly what to say when declaring the firearms at the Canadian border.  I think he has it all worked out.

I'm thinking of going with just bear spray instead of a gun, but my only worry with that is that with my poor close-up vision I'm afraid I might confuse the bear spray can with the bug spray can.  I have a feeling that might not be such a good idea.

But if you get one of those bug suits you were speaking of then I'm thinking you wouldn't have to bring any bug spray. If you don't bring any bug spray then you wouldn't have to worry about grabbing the wrong can? Or I guess you could just yell and jump up and down, that might work too?

FrankB

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
But if you get one of those bug suits you were speaking of then I'm thinking you wouldn't have to bring any bug spray. If you don't bring any bug spray then you wouldn't have to worry about grabbing the wrong can? Or I guess you could just yell and jump up and down, that might work too?

At first glance that would all seem to make sense; however, in the only picture I've seen of the actual approved-for-this-trip-by-the-trip-leader bug suit, it apparently does not cover the feet or the hands.  Thus, the need for the bug spray. 

Unless I'm missing something.

Celt

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:32:34 PM »
At first glance that would all seem to make sense; however, in the only picture I've seen of the actual approved-for-this-trip-by-the-trip-leader bug suit, it apparently does not cover the feet or the hands.  Thus, the need for the bug spray. 

Unless I'm missing something.

Hmmmmm, now you have a conundrum.

FrankB

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
  Hmmmmm, now you have a conundrum.

More so than you know.  I've been reading up on information from the trip leader, and trying to figure out where to stuff three spare tires and a couple of cases of Scotch into the Prius.  Apparently there are more requirements than I originally thought.  I guess I could look into some sort of custom made gizmo that will allow me to store stuff on the hood in small bags.  Since it's a hybrid there is not a lot of heat generated up there, so it should be safe.  Has anyone ever heard of such a storage system?  I think the Limeys (Brits) may have done something like that on their Land Rovers in WWII; I think I recall it from watching episodes of Rat Patrol when I was a kid.