Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Pedal Power  (Read 15711 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Pedal Power
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2016, 07:14:18 PM »
To be honest, it would be more worthwhile to put money into a newer bike. Unless you can find a new/used fork for free, same with the brakes, everything has been disc on MTB for awhile now. If you got disc brakes, you would have to upgrade your wheels too. That stem looks pretty long too, be very careful when descending, otherwise it will send ya OTB.
Thanks, I wasn't planning on going crazy and I probably won't touch anything but the forks, if I can find a good deal. This is just to get me started into it again and get me past our baby being born. After that, I'll be able shop for something newer.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2016, 07:17:38 PM »
Hey Rick...PM me some close ups of that stem and steerer tube...as well as a shot of the front fork.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »
Hey Rick...PM me some close ups of that stem and steerer tube...as well as a shot of the front fork.
Will do. Let me get a couple for you.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
The good news is you have an adjustable/thread less headset. Makes lubrication and maintenance a snap.

On the other hand, if you wanted to replace the fork sourcing one won't be difficult, it's just a function of spending the $$$ that you could (as BeeDee suggested) invest in a more technologically advanced steed.

Replied to your PM, ride this Rockhopper til the 26" wheels fall off and have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »
The good news is you have an adjustable/thread less headset. Makes lubrication and maintenance a snap.

On the other hand, if you wanted to replace the fork sourcing one won't be difficult, it's just a function of spending the $$$ that you could (as BeeDee suggested) invest in a more technologically advanced steed.

Replied to your PM, ride this Rockhopper til the 26" wheels fall off and have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot.  Usually, when I jump into something (or back in, as in this case), I try to do some learning about it first.  This time, it's going the other way around.  When I rode as a kid and teenager, it was always on Wal-Mart or K-mart type bikes.  There's really nothing you needed to know about those, assemble and jump on.  Even though this thing is old, it has more technology on it than I've ever seen on any bicycle I've ever owned.  Yes, that's probably scary to some of you all.  Anyway, I'll ride the wheels off this thing.  Thanks for the help, Ghost and Beedee.
R. Long

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »
Sweet bike Rick! I did the same thing as you a few months back and purchased a used, "basic" Specialized Hard Rock. I was looking at the Rock Hoppers and Hard Rocks all over Craigslist, and finally found someone parting with a great Hard Rock that was well cared for, for $100. Worth every penny as a starter bike for me! I just needed something that could hold all my weight to get me into the hobby without spending thousands of dollars. So far, I've been super happy with it. Haven't taken it anywhere extreme, but I've hit the dirt a few times and it knows every road around my neighborhood at this point. I'm like you - I was super into BMX when I was a teenager and never got into MTB. The only mountain bikes I've ever owned were cheap walmart ones that would derail the chain as soon as you put any kind of power into your pedaling. So I'm stoked on this bike!

For the record, Ghost65 gave me pretty much the same advice when I was asking for his opinions before I pulled the trigger on this bike. Ride the hell out of it until you decide you need/want something better, and then upgrade the whole bike and sell this one for what you paid for it. Oh, and the other advice he gave me was to stay the hell away from the MTB forums, unless I needed another money pit to spend all my paychecks on.  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

So far, it's been perfect for family bike rides in the neighborhood:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
Sweet bike Rick! I did the same thing as you a few months back and purchased a used, "basic" Specialized Hard Rock. I was looking at the Rock Hoppers and Hard Rocks all over Craigslist, and finally found someone parting with a great Hard Rock that was well cared for, for $100. Worth every penny as a starter bike for me! I just needed something that could hold all my weight to get me into the hobby without spending thousands of dollars. So far, I've been super happy with it. Haven't taken it anywhere extreme, but I've hit the dirt a few times and it knows every road around my neighborhood at this point. I'm like you - I was super into BMX when I was a teenager and never got into MTB. The only mountain bikes I've ever owned were cheap walmart ones that would derail the chain as soon as you put any kind of power into your pedaling. So I'm stoked on this bike!

For the record, Ghost65 gave me pretty much the same advice when I was asking for his opinions before I pulled the trigger on this bike. Ride the hell out of it until you decide you need/want something better, and then upgrade the whole bike and sell this one for what you paid for it. Oh, and the other advice he gave me was to stay the hell away from the MTB forums, unless I needed another money pit to spend all my paychecks on.  :D

Edwin pointed me to pinkbike.com and I've done my best to stay away.  lol  I'm going to try to avoid this becoming a money pit, but we all know how that goes.  After Jenny has the baby, we'll get her something so that we can ride together through the neighborhoods.  She's not real comfortable right now and I know being on a small seat will just make it worse.
R. Long

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »
gonna end up buying a 2k bike by the end of 2017.  O0

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra