Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Social Distancing  (Read 10659 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Social Distancing
« on: March 30, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »
Since we are under federal decree with black helicopters following us around.... Anyone want to make a run out into Borrego for a night or two to escape the madness (before it gets hotter than the 7th hinge of hell). Some social distancing carne asada, Dutch oven, tacos, whatever awesome group feed(s) might be pretty well received at this point.
Isaiah 6:8

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: Social Distancing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:27:56 AM »
On the Book of Face, someone from the Frontier/Xterra group posted a picture of the CHP citing people for being in the Ocotillo OHV area.  Story was that they shut it down because being out off-road by yourself wasn't "social distancing" and that they needed to go back home and hide in their bunkers.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 08:58:58 AM »
I wonder what "The rest of the story" was with that?

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:03 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Photo is real , but they weren't there for people off-roading
It was a staging area

But on the other hand

You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:29:27 AM »
Well that's certainly confusing. In reading that closure notice it says all trails will remain open.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
So you can drive through but you can't camp?  I guess the mules still need to be able to run drugs & illegals without worrying about getting a ticket.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »
So you can drive through but you can't camp?  I guess the mules still need to be able to run drugs & illegals without worrying about getting a ticket.

Ha! Well, there is always a catch.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »
The confusion is coming from multiple agencies who manage these lands and each of them having a different policy right now. Ocotillo OHV is a State Park, and the State of California has decided to shut down all "developed" facilities. I'm not really sure how or why they consider the entire park to be developed. It would make sense to shut down the public restrooms, campsites, and shade structures and what not, but I don't understand why it's an issue to just go out into the middle of the park by yourself and be self sufficient. I guess they figure people can't really separate self sufficiency from dependence upon the facilities, so it's just easier to shut the whole thing down.

The BLM order is basically the same - they're shutting down any "developed" areas, but open lands remain open, including trails. My understanding is that all Federal Forest lands in our area have also done the same (I saw a post locally saying that the Wildomar OHV area has been shut down). So you can go to Big Bear and run Pontiac Sluice, but you can't stay the night at a campground afterwards (and I would imagine yellow post sites are also off limits, as they are usually "developed" with a fire ring and picnic table). Open/dispersed camping is ok.

So with Anza Borrego also being a state park, I'm not really sure what the orders are out there. I would expect that campgrounds and restrooms, and certainly the visitor's center would be shut down, but is it OK to use the trails or go camp in an open wash? Who really knows anymore.

Edit: I found the State Park System's announcement. Looks like vehicular access to all State Parks is closed (Anza Borrego is also a State Park).

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:24:35 AM by JFanaselle »

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »

McNitPicky here, but isn't Ocotillo Wells an SVRA?
Special Vehicle Recreation Area? 

But, here's what it says on their site:

UPDATE (March 31, 2020): This park is temporarily closed to vehicular access, including for off-highway vehicle riding. The park remains open for locals who wish to walk, hike and bike (in parks with bike trails) in the park, provided they practice social/physical distancing of 6 feet or more. This is not the time for a road trip to a destination park or beach.

In an effort to prevent visitation surges and help stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), State Parks has implemented the following safety measures to date:
Closed some parks, meaning all trails and restrooms within these parks are closed.
Closed vehicular access at remaining parks, including for off-highway vehicle riding.
Closed all campgrounds, museums and visitor centers.
Cancelled all events.

A list of closures is available online at parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve. The list is dynamic and updated on a regular basis.
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
The acronym SVRA actually means "State Vehicular Recreation Area." It's part of the California State Parks network. :(

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 03:05:29 PM »
The acronym SVRA actually means "State Vehicular Recreation Area." It's part of the California State Parks network. :(

NO, JOE!  It's SPECIAL!!!!! Like ME!

But also, you're right. 

What about the Mojave Preserve?
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
Mojave Preserve is federal (it's a National Monument, which is the same as a National Park, but you're allowed to hunt within it). The National Parks Service does not yet have a unified and coordinated approach like the State Parks system, and each park is doing something a little different. Most National Parks have closed all developed sites, including campgrounds, visitor's centers, and day use areas (picnic locations, parking lots, etc.). Some have closed entirely.

The Mojave Preserve specifically has closed the Barstow and Kelso Visitor's Centers, suspended all commercial use permits, suspended all interpretive and interactive programs (such as guided hikes), and canceled group campground reservations. As of last week, the Hole in the Wall and Midhills Campgrounds remain open for parties of 10 or less, and all hiking trails and paved/unpaved roads remain open. Here's their official press release: https://www.nps.gov/moja/learn/news/upload/MOJA-press-release-3-21-2020-FINAL-2.pdf

FBinSD

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
Seems like blm land is still open as long as it is not a developed campground

https://www.blm.gov/site-page/blm-california-covid-19-updates
2012 Frontier pro4x

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 05:38:59 PM »
Just set up camp in the backyard and group facetime all of us.

Celt

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »
Just set up camp in the backyard and group facetime all of us.

What do you think I'm some kinda snowflake millennial???