Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: July 29th,2018 AAT 2NO2 cleanup ( ON HOLD TILL FUTHER NOTICE)  (Read 9673 times)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
All right ladies & gents,
This will be 2018’s first official SCCX 2NO2 clean up/survey.

We need to thoroughly go thru the trail and mark/note any locations of interest for repairs, clean up or ranger’s attention.  This being my first host, I will be taking lead and slowly creep thru the trail. Not exactly slow as hell but at a decent speed to ensure as much coverage. Family is encouraged but due to possible high temp weather, ensure vehicles have working A/C, water to hydrate & sunblock to prevent nasty burns.

Trailhead:34°16'46.6"N 116°47'46.2"W

Date: July 29th, 2018
Meet up time: 0900hr

Comms:
CB- ch17
Ham Radio Simplex freq: 146.535

Rig requirements:
2)   In generally good mechanical order (Working AC must!!)
3)   Good recovery points front and rear
4)   Communications of some variety, in descending order of preference – ham VHF, FRS, CB, horn, whistle, smoke signal, sign language
5)   Storage for trash if needed
6) awning or canopy for shade (breaks/lunch etc)

Driver requirements:
1)   Good attitude
2)   Generally self-sufficient
3)   Clean up equipment (gloves, trashbags etc)
    Note: will attempt to get clean up equipment by AAT program.
4)   Lunch and alot of water.

What To Bring List
Gloves
Bucket(s) 5Gal. if it's windy it's easier to put the shells in than carrying a garbage bag
Garbage bags
Rake
Shovel
Hat
Water Lots of it
First aid kit if needed

Hopefully after the run we can all get together at the restaurant down at Pioneertown. Once I get a head count, I can call in ahead to see if they can get an area separated for us.

Any suggestion would greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:07:42 PM by Edwin562 »

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
Re: July 29th,2018 AAT 2NO2 cleanup
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
Rooster:
1-Edwin562 +2 (family)
2-Jayrat + 1 (family)
3- Beedee +2 (family)
4- G.B.H
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

Will need someone with a truck to attend. If nobody can get a pick up truck, I will try to get a buddy of mine who has been trying to do some trail runs to join us with his Tacoma.
1-
2-
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:17:29 PM by Edwin562 »

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
Thanks for setting this up Edwin!
Isaiah 6:8

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »
Put me down Jayrat + 1( 6 year old )
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

beedee

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »
Thanks Edwin! Count me in and maybe my wife and toddler daughter, if it’s crazy hot I’ll just go solo. Starting on the Baldwin Lake side?

Will there be any caravans up the hill?

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
Thanks for setting this up Edwin!
No problem. Will send you a PM to know how the rooster w/ hours work. that way I can submit them. If you attend, I can bring my laptop and do it all on there.

Put me down Jayrat + 1( 6 year old )
Updated, thanks!

Thanks Edwin! Count me in and maybe my wife and toddler daughter, if it’s crazy hot I’ll just go solo. Starting on the Baldwin Lake side?

Will there be any caravans up the hill?

10-4, Yes we will be meeting up on that side. On the OP, the coordinates for the entrance is announced. At the moment, no caravan is set up but since this is a small club, I sure most will meet up at the spot. But if you want to meet up before hand, then we can sort it out.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
I'll be heading to Little Rock for work that morning. I'll be there in spirit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 09:07:38 PM »
No worries, last clean up we did, your duties were paid. lol

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:25:41 AM »
Edwin - thank you for setting this up. As previously stated, there are a ton of people in this group willing to work and help. The key is coordinated efforts and someone to be the catalyst and rally the troops. You've taken that catalyst role by the horns!

Now the bad news: unfortunately, the family and I are taking a trip to south Texas from 7/26 through 7/30, and I will therefore miss this trip. If it's any consolation, karma will be punishing in the form of Galveston heat and humidity for not being there to help you all.

If I can offer a few points:

1) That is peak thunderstorm season in that region of the mountains. You'll have a better idea of the weather as the event approaches, but I'd have a plan in my back pocket in the event that storms hammer the area. If they do, it would likely happen in the afternoon hours, between 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm. Just be ready is all I'm saying.

2) Those shooting areas are going to need TONS of work. If you get a big enough group, my recommendation would be to get almost everyone settled in at one (or both) of the shooting areas and start cleaning up while a much smaller team (yourself and at least one other rig) runs the remainder of the trail and performs a survey, taking photos and documenting anything you want the forest service to be aware of. In my opinion, this would be the best use of time, and would prevent a situation where you guys all end up staying in one area too long and then not having enough time to perform an effective survey of the rest of the route, or spending too much time surveying as a huge group and then not taking much action while you have the manpower on hand to help. If the shooting spots do require as much work as we think they will, it'll be a good idea to bring some shade tarps/eazy up style canopies and chairs for everyone to take a break and eat lunch. I have an easy up I'd be more than happy to loan out if you guys need it.

3) To support #2, and since I won't be able to be there for the actual cleanup event, I can go run the trail in advance of the group and report my findings back to you so you can have a solid plan for the group. It's not nearly as far of a drive for me as it is for most of the rest of the group. I won't do a full slow-survey like you're planning, but I can at least visit the shooting areas and look for anything major along the route that will require a lot of work. Other than the shooting areas, is there anything specific you'd like me to check on and report back about? I'm tentatively penciling this in for this Sunday, 7/7. I'll bring my trasharoo and some trash bags and pack out what I can while I'm at it.

4) Pending how bad the shooting areas are when I go look at them, maybe you can ask Greg and the forest service to support with a dumpster. Even if they have one brought to the top or bottom of the trail, it would save the group from having to haul everything back home or to the dumpster at the ranger station or discovery center. Hopefully you guys can get at least a couple of pickup trucks out there to assist. There are usually junk TVs and refrigerators and crap at those spots.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:28:53 AM by JFanaselle »

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
I'm in.

G.B.H.
G.B.H.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »
Joe thanks for the input. I love the idea of large portion of the group to stay at the shooting range cleaning while a scouting crew goes ahead to point out points of interests. If you do a quick scouting trip up there, it would awesome since it will aid in a solid plan. If you can get company (another rig) to go with you, it will be ease of mind to ensure your safety. Keep in touch via text or phone if you like. I can shoot you my number so you can send me the pictures. either or communication is key here.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
Sundays are tough for me, but Mon-Thurs I'm good.

Joe is right on the dumpster idea.  One time we had to beg, just the get one dumpster unlocked at the ranger station.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
I have 2 more Rigs interested in helping,
their non-X members >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
I recently drove through Berdoo Canyon. If the shooting area of Burns Canyon is anything like that we will need several dumpsters just for the shell casings alone. It was a very depressing sight.

G.B.H.
G.B.H.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
I recently drove through Berdoo Canyon. If the shooting area of Burns Canyon is anything like that we will need several dumpsters just for the shell casings alone. It was a very depressing sight.

G.B.H.
They're just as bad, but you can also throw large debris on the list.  Things like TVs, washers, propane tanks, etc.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky