Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: General Gun Accessories  (Read 10927 times)

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
General Gun Accessories
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
I'm making this a separate topic from the Weapons thread because that thread looks to be used more so for planning.
So I'm looking to get my own shotgun as a first shotgun for target and skeet shooting: I've shot before numerous times, so I'm not completely new to the whole thing, but I was wondering what do you all think are good supplies/accessories that should go with the shotgun; cleaning, maintenance, useful tools, etc. I'm looking at this Remington 870; a semi-auto is pretty much overkill for me right now, and I just prefer a pump shotgun anyways, just has more control to it. I already plan to get a hard case for it, a suitable cleaning rod, and some ear protection of course.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:52:14 PM by Alex »

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Re: General Gun Accessories
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
Hey Alex,
The 870 is a great choice.  But the one you're showing is a riot style gun.   Great for Zombies, not so good for sport.  For target and skeet you need at least a 26-28" barrel, set up with different chokes for skeet than for trap.  And you don't need the extra long magazine.  The mossberg 500 is also a good choice.  If the gun will double as home protection, you can find a 'combo' for sale with the riot barrel and sport barrel. 
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:02:29 PM »
I use this with my 1979 870 wingmaster.

http://smile.amazon.com/Otis-Tactical-Cleaning-System-Brushes/dp/B0000C52A5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457574242&sr=8-1&keywords=otis+cleaning+kit

nothing I have used gets it anywhere near as clean and for the price it is a great multi caliber cleaning kit.

http://smile.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Eliminator-Single-Carrier/dp/B004NFVIHM/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1457574851&sr=8-12&keywords=shell+holder

This is the best $7 I have spent for shooting clays at the range. Most of my friends run pretty tactical set ups with different saddles and shell/pmag holders and they all laughed the first time I broke this bad boy out. Just rip the lid off the top of a box of shells and drop it in and you have 25 ready to go! They have to stop shooting more frequently and have spent way more money for much less capacity. If looking cool isn't your priority, I recommend this. you will fly through shells though.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:06:37 PM by CVXTERRA »

Deadpilot

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:37:33 PM »
I have an otis kit for my AR, it just so happens to be the same one I had in the Marine Corps. Haha.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
what randy said, need a long barrel for skeet
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 11:08:54 PM »
Alex: This would be a much better option for what you want to use it for: https://www.turners.com/remington/remington-870-express-wood-12--9187

That's the same shotgun I have, and I upgraded the buutt stock and foregrip to a really nice walnut one from Boyd's gunstocks (the "american plainsman" model, they have multiple colors/styles, but I went with the classic walnut look). I mostly did this for looks, but they have a nice shape which is easier and more comfortable to hold/use, and they're heavier and more dense so they absorb some of the recoil a little better than the cheap lightweight factory stuff: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3u2172j01117_american-plainsman-remington-870-12-gauge-stock-walnut-finished
and http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3u2172j02117_american-plainsman-remington-870-12-gauge-forend-walnut-finished

I actually also have the Remington 870 Tactical (the one you posted a link to). It's a cool gun and fun to blow up pumpkins with, but as Randy and Jordan have said, the short barrel is not designed for shooting skeet.

As far as accessories - the other recommendations in this thread are spot on. You need a good cleaning kit, a good case, some ear/eye protection, and you'll probably want something you can wear on your belt to hold shells.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:14:29 PM by JFanaselle »

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 11:31:49 PM »
Hey Alex,
The 870 is a great choice.  But the one you're showing is a riot style gun.   Great for Zombies, not so good for sport.  For target and skeet you need at least a 26-28" barrel, set up with different chokes for skeet than for trap.  And you don't need the extra long magazine.  The mossberg 500 is also a good choice.  If the gun will double as home protection, you can find a 'combo' for sale with the riot barrel and sport barrel.
Thanks Randy,
 Now I know what I need , I soooo what to Hunt me some Zombie.
 you just need to cook it well, like any wild meat >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »
Gotcha, will do; I was wondering about the barrel length. CV that Otis kit and shell carrier are perfect, thanks.
Ah, and I'm lefthanded as well, to throw another wrench in the mix, so something more like this should be better: http://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-express. And looking around lefty models are nowhere near as common and right-handed models, so I'll just need to call around then.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:56:20 PM by Alex »

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 01:04:04 AM »
Gotcha, will do; I was wondering about the barrel length. CV that Otis kit and shell carrier are perfect, thanks.
Ah, and I'm lefthanded as well, to throw another wrench in the mix, so something more like this should be better: http://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-express. And looking around lefty models are nowhere near as common and right-handed models, so I'll just need to call around then.

Alex, I can chime in real quick on the L/H question you had. I am L/H R/eye dominant when I shoot a rifle. I've shot shotguns, particularly the 870 in a couple different versions since I was around 12 or so years old and still am around them on a very regular basis. Nobody ever told me they were right handed and to tell you the truth if someone handed me a L/H 870 I might mess everything up. In the end, I really don't think it should matter much at all unless it was a preference. I know you have been talking about getting a shotgun so I think it's great you are asking all the right questions. I'm kinda partial to the 870 myself but if you are wanting a real bird or clay gun take a look at an over/under. That's where the real money will be at for sporting purposes. If you want more versatility you would be hard pressed to find anything better than a bare bones 870.
Isaiah 6:8

Alex

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
Very true Celt, that was also in mind. The difference looks to be minimal on the 870; the action release is centered, and the difference might be the direction of the safety, and it's probably better that stay uniform between guns. So like the model Joe posted either in 26" or 28".

Deadpilot

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
So I got a question about the 870. I don't know what CA law states about putting a pistol grip colpasble stock setup on a shot gun. I know in AZ they don't care but here well they are special kinda stupid.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
deadpilot.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

basically you can't have a folding/telescoping stock and a pistol grip if it is semi auto, you can have one or the other but not both.

CA PC 12276 pertains to "Assault Weapons"

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:39:02 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE

Deadpilot

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the info. That's a complete pain like I thought.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 05:41:28 PM »
but being as the 870 is a pump, from my amateur perspective, you can do whatever you want as the weapon is not semi auto.
Jordan - K6XTE

Deadpilot

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
True. When I go to buy I'll the question at the gun shop. Unless I buy it online.