Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Shuteye Ridge - Extreme Car Camping - Live Well Network  (Read 14793 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Shuteye Ridge - Extreme Car Camping - Live Well Network
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »
Along the line of Ray's "Fundamentals" THREAD, this video was posted here some time ago.  It was the inspiration for some of my trips here on the boards. 

Take some time, brew a cup of java, pop a social sparkler, or whatever quenches your entertainment thirst, and sit back and enjoy.  22 minutes.

(and be careful not to "snap off your hitchhikers...")  ;)

Check it out:

http://livewellnetwork.com/Motion/episodes/Car-Camping/7579778

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Orange X

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • Family That Play Togather Stay Togather
Re: Shuteye Ridge - Extreme Car Camping - Live Well Network
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Loved the HEALTHY Palenta he fried in oil. lol  Kinda defeats the purpose..Cool video John..

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
Loved the HEALTHY Palenta he fried in oil. lol  Kinda defeats the purpose..Cool video John..

Still looked tasty though...thanks Chad.  And he was wheeling a Gen 1!  ;D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »
Cool find John. I haven't had time to watch all of it, but they did a good job.  The guy seems vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure from where.  Shuteye Ridge sounds like a great place to go.

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »
Watch the whole thing and thought it was a good show.  Not sure if bringing a slack line to the top of a mountain and having your kids walk the line is all that great of an idea but what do I know.  The really good thing about the show is it makes me want to get the camping gear out and ready for some weekend fun!  Also never thought of bringing a frisbee on a camping trip.  You know I don't even own one anymore.  I haven't even play with a frisbee in years!  Okay I know what I'm doing tomorrow for sure!
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
The link from the original post below is no longer working but glad to know you found the working link. I just watched the whole thing again and it never fails to amaze me. We just came from a 4-day backpacking trip in the Eastern Sierras and I can't wait to get back out there again. Really want to check out this Shuteye Ridge...

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php/topic,399.0.html

Thanks for reposting!
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 05:55:56 PM »
The link from the original post below is no longer working but glad to know you found the working link. I just watched the whole thing again and it never fails to amaze me. We just came from a 4-day backpacking trip in the Eastern Sierras and I can't wait to get back out there again. Really want to check out this Shuteye Ridge...

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php/topic,399.0.html

Thanks for reposting!

No problem...I always enjoyed that video from the original post.  It just epitomized the Xterra experience for me...which is why I dug it up and reposted for some of the newer folks here.
KD6DCI

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 01:58:34 AM »
Thanks GhostX!

I was so intrigued about the place that I felt compelled to email the host to inquire about the exact location. Google says Shuteye Ridge is in the Yosemite area and since Greg is a local, I'm beginning to believe it is so. GPS coordinates would be awesome. I wonder if anyone here is familiar or have visited the place.

Gotta try that fried polenta, tomato, spinach with cheese on English muffin. I'll skip the slacklining though.

Good times!
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 06:12:20 AM »
I found the trail in my original Massey trail book.  It is in a network of eastern Sierra trails, and looks to be about a 7 hour drive from San Diego.

I am sure a seach will turn up more information on the beautiful camping spot Fred.
KD6DCI