Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: In memory: occupantX  (Read 24100 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
In memory: occupantX
« on: March 23, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

For those that have not yet heard the terrible news, a very respected member of our group, Hennie Bruyns (aka: occupantX or sdcaKLR), passed away earlier this week. We know few details regarding the circumstances, but we do know that the world has lost a tremendous human being and that our group just won't be same without him. At this time, we ask you to keep his wife Ilda in your prayers, and we'll pass along any further relevant information if we receive it.

A few members of the group have been messaging with one another, and some of us wanted to start a thread where we could share our favorite memories and photos of Hennie. I thought I would kick things off with a few photos of some recent trips, and share a couple of memories.

My favorite thing about Hennie (and I'm sure I'm not alone here) was his amazingly dry sense of humor. He was not one to miss an opportunity to crack a quick witty joke. For those who didn't know Hennie personally, he is a native of South Africa, and I always chuckle at the fact that he called himself an American African because someone once got mad at him for calling himself an African American. He was one of the happiest, most friendly guys I've ever met, and he would always offer his time and muscles to help a fellow X'er out with a project, usually showing up for a mod day or Titan-swap party with his blue gloves on. Last year, when Sage Bromax led a large group of us through the Inyo Mountains to explore the old salt tram ruins, Hennie and I hiked up to the top of a peak above our campsite just so we could say we broke the 10,000 foot elevation mark. I remember how I spent about 20 minutes huffing and puffing my way half way up the the hillside before he darted up from the bottom and reached me in what seemed like 6 strides. lol (the photo above is from that hike, as he and I took in the view).

You really couldn't find a better trail mate, and last November, some of us had the pleasure of spending 4 days and nights in his company in Death Valley. He cooked some amazing things for the group on that trip, and I'm really going to miss the African sausages he would break out around the campfire (I can just hear him making a joke about that now). Yup, the world definitely lost a good a good one, and it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm gonna miss you buddy. Until we meet again.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:05:40 PM by JFanaselle »

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: In memory: occupantX
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
 I got to know Hennie at our Food Truck Thursdays. He was one of those guys that you right away took a fast liking to. He always had a good word and a great sense of humor. He was always so eager to help out on any project and lend advice if you asked for it. Hennie would always take the time to get to know everyone in the crowd and could make people laugh with a mere expression on his face. I still remember him walking up to me in the morning two Desert Rendezvous ago with a really classic/funny look only Hennie could pull off and said, "You missed the Steve Show" last night. Hennie certainly coined that phrase and all of us seem to have affectionately adopted it. I remember him passing out his stash of Biltong at the Cerro Gordo trip and sitting next to Riley and I with his wife Ilda. I would look over and he had this perpetual infectious smile on his face that you knew he was a member of the group that was truly valued and appreciated. I have a few pictures of him that I will try and get up here on the boards.

Today I miss my friend Hennie.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:18:14 PM by JFanaselle »
Isaiah 6:8

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »
I first met Hennie at my very first mod day with the SCCX crew. He shared his bitong with everyone. I remember his willingness to always help out. He was always smiling and had something nice to chat about. Oh, and those gloves, he always had those work gloves. He will be missed.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:37:24 PM by RikRong »
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
I'm still lost for words ,
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:04:08 PM »
Think I met him when I first started here at SCCX, picked up his p4x suspension for free if I remember correctly. Sounds like he was one of a kind. RIP buddy

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:20 PM »
I was looking back through my photos from trips out to Anza Borrego to see what I could find with Hennie.  He went out to the desert several times with us.  As I look back through the old galleries I realized that I had way too many pictures of the trucks and way too few pictures of the people.  In the "old days" everybody complained if you didn't have lots of trucks-in-action pictures, no one wanted to see people or scenery.

Then something like this happens and you realize that it's really the people that matter.

Here's Hennie and Ilda in Anza Borrego in April of 2011, at The Slot hiking trail in the Buttes Pass area.

Our route on that trip took us through some rocky areas in Borrego Mountain Wash, and eventually up Blow Sand Canyon and then up and over the Goat Trail (on the State Park side), and ending up in the mildly rocky patch behind the Cactus Garden.  Here we are at the top of the Goat Trail. 

When I first met Hennie he always referred to his truck (or SUV, whatever you want to call it) as a "station wagon".  I'm old enough to know what he meant, but not everyone got it.  It was the day after this trip that he wrote:  "Goat Trail had me worried there for awhile, but I'm really impressed with what this stock station wagon can do!  I might even have to stop calling it 'station wagon'...."

Heather and I will both miss Hennie.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 11:47:01 PM »
Hennie’s memorial service will be held on Friday, March 30 at 11am. The church is the Escondido United Reformed Church.
Address: 1864 Broadway,
Escondido, CA, 92026
www.Escondidourc.org
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:51:20 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 12:01:24 AM »
I have added the people I am friends with to the FB group for Hennies memorial, if I missed anyone let me know.  Also anyone that I added feel free to add anyone you think of, thanks.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 12:30:34 AM »
     Just found out. I thought about you today. Wanted you to help me build a Biltong rig and have a beer.  I speak of you often. I tell folks that all South Africans are the kindest, funniest, all around greatest people......because of you.
     You've had a profound in pact on me. I hope I'm good enough to see you again.
     Untill then,
     You'll be missed

KickinTires

• 4wd Pts: 9
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
I just heard this sad news from FrankB and still can't get a grip on the fact that Hennie is now gone.  I first met Hennie and Ilda on an Anza Borrego run with FrankB and a few folks from San Diego back in April of 2011.  This was my first trip in my completely stock Frontier, I didn't even have plates yet, that's how green I was.  Hennie to me was the definition of the phrase '...give the shirt off of his back...', he was just plain fun to be around and always eager to help.  I enjoyed many a run with both Hennie and Ilda and am saddened by his loss. 

I also have way too few images with people in them and can't seem to locate any with Hennie other than maybe this rather fitting one with Hennie, Ilda, and others of us standing at the edge of the Slot Canyon which now represents the hole left in all of our hearts...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:39:02 AM by KickinTires »
Mark

Club Frontier Member "KickinTires"

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 03:29:44 PM »
I'm still lost for words ,

This ^
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
After reading a lot of these posts,
 I've realize, in all the amazing trips I have taken with my SCCX crew
I have a lot of pictures of the Scenery , and not many of my friends

Hennie has made me think about how pictures of where we've been are very cool,
but how pictures of people we've been with ,
bring just a little more memory from the moment

Sorry for my red wine thought
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
Hennie's smile and quick wit were remarkable. 

He was always quick to lend a hand, or dispense a piece of that spicey SA "biltong...

You just knew when the blue gloves came out...isht was about to get real...

I will miss our friend...more than words can express.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »
Never shy about offering help, or making really funny comments in a dead-pan manner....Hennie was one of a kind

RIP