Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Potential trip: Bday weekend at Trona Pinnacles Jan 19th-20th  (Read 3501 times)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Potential trip: Bday weekend at Trona Pinnacles Jan 19th-20th
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:57:37 PM »
Throwing it out there.
Who would be interested in joining me on my bday weekend 19th-20th of January at Trona Pinnacles. Hopefully the Govt shutdown wont affect it since I really need to push myself from city society. Any interest?

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: Potential trip: Bday weekend at Trona Pinnacles Jan 19th-20th
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:50:49 AM »
FYI, that is the same weekend as the Mojave Road run.  Martin Luther King weekend.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 05:52:51 PM »
FYI, that is the same weekend as the Mojave Road run.  Martin Luther King weekend.
Yes im fully aware. My wife is not very comfortable in taking 3 days 2 nights trip. We are 99% 1 nighter... that trip is still up in the air for us.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
I love the Trona Pinnacles, and it's a cool place to camp. I'll have to pass on this trip because I'm leaving the following Thursday for the Rogue Overland winter expedition in Arizona, and wouldn't be able to do back to back weekends like that. However, I'll tell you now that it would be a great place to post up, even if it's just you and the Mrs. and EJ. It's not really the kind of place that can "close down," as there are no gates or anything. The worst thing that would be impacted by the government shutdown is that the bathrooms might not have been visited by BLM maintenance personnel, so just bring your own toilet paper (they're pit toilets with no running water).

There are usually a few small groups out there camping, but everyone intersperses within the pinnacles themselves so you're afforded some privacy with the security of knowing that others are around if you have an emergency or something. It is the high desert, and it does get chilly up there in the winter, so just be prepared for that with proper sleeping bags and clothing. The average overnight low temperature in January is 30 degrees.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 06:38:22 AM »
I'll have to pass on this trip because I'm leaving the following Thursday for the Rogue Overland winter expedition in Arizona,

Nice.  :)

Pack warm...it's been very cold over here.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.