Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Navigation info request  (Read 16252 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Navigation info request
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 03:54:19 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but this is more in response to John's question about mounting, so here's a picture of where I mount my Garmin handheld.  It is small, so it's probably not the best for navigating while driving.  However, I like some redundancy if I'm truly out in the boonies and I don't want to rely on a mobile device for navigation.  Yes, I love my devices and my social media, but this handheld goes with me whenever I'm out in sticks.  It has the capability to download information and upload maps and trails.  There is also a slot for an SD card.  After reading this thread, though, I really like the GPS units that Steve posted.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

FrankB

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
Great post Celt...as these are some of the very questions running through my head recently with respect to an in-cab tablet mounted GPS capable unit.

For some of the guys who use them (Joe, Steve, Jordan, anyone else with qualified experience???) could you please post up some pics of your mounts/locations? 

I've been conducting a little Schmoogle research on RAM mounts, so pretty familiar there, but after meeting with Frank B. and seeing his dash mounted cell phone holder and his success....curious about more info on the topic.

Also wanted to mention, seeing (and hearing) Joe's nav success while crossing some very remote/no cell territory, left my paper map mind reeling.

Consider this Erik, and I totally get the map/compass/sun dial apocalypse back up plan...buuuut, you never have to fold that g**damn thing back up to fit into your door pocket!

Note:  I currently have an older (2015) iPad Air 32GB that I am considering as the base unit for this application...thoughts?

John - that RAM mount is actually for a Garmin GPSMap 64ST, which is a hand-held GPS unit designed primarily for hiking.  I have loaded Garmin's City Navigator maps on it, so it can now do turn-by-turn direction.  It is not easy to use for that however, since typing stuff in without a touchscreen is tedious at best.  I like it because it has a barometric altimeter and topo maps loaded also, but all that said, I don't geocache and I don't use devices like this when out hiking.  Like Erik, I like a paper map.   I also have the in-dash Nissan navigation system, but it sucks because it won't let you type stuff in while the vehicle is in Drive.   

The Garmin is really just something to play around with.   On the turn-by-turn, for example, it only beeps at you when it is time to do something, so if I want a pleasant female voice to tell me to "turn right in 50 feet" or "you missed the turn dumb-ass, now make a U-turn" I have to be sure that Heather is with me to read the instructions out to me.  Also, unlike with a unit designed specifically for driving (the rectangular ones with the touchscreens) you can't search for points of interest that are outside of your immediate area.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
Thanks Frank & Rick...I appreciate the info.

I've been looking at some of the RAM mounts, tablet info, and playing around with the GAIA app on my iPhone today.

The only issue I see with my iPad is...only 32GB, and in the layering/GPS map game, not much to store a lot of info.  Although, having the GAIA subscription, there is cloud storage so it isn't device centric.

Erik...one other solution to your GPS receiver dilemma with a non-GPS tablet...Garmin makes a nice blue tooth (wireless) receiver that makes accuracy and signals less worrisome, especially with no cell or wifi signals.

Garmin GLO:  https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-GLONASS-Receiver-Vehicle/dp/B00AYAZENY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524788825&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+bluetooth+gps+receiver

Just noodling about town today I was able to track and record a quick trip, store it in a file created quickly on my iPhone, which now appears on my map with touch access to info for that specific route.

I also looked up some of the 128GB tablets for sale...not cheap.  Most were north of $500, but I like the ability to use it for more than just a GPS in car piece of gear.

I will probably get some RAM ball mounts and set up the iPad for now in the truck, and go with the Garmin GLO as my iPad is wifi only.  Also giving serious consideration to a $30 a year GAIA subscription.

Good stuff all...thank you for the input.  :)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
Thanks Frank & Rick...I appreciate the info.

What am I, chopped liver? Or did you just miss my reply?  :P

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
What am I, chopped liver? Or did you just miss my reply?  :P

Doh...sorry man...thank you sir! 

I actually looked up the ProClip mounts, but my ham radio already took up that real estate on the passenger side footwell...but your RAM mount info was spot on with the hard mounts for 1" balls...heh heh.  8)

Then I squirreled onto this YouTube video...

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 05:42:51 PM »
Oh...and Erik...if you enjoy music while traveling, you should seriously check out Spotify.  Highly addictive, and easy to create/store a huge volume of music that works outside of cell service as well.  :) :)
KD6DCI

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:08 PM »
I have some hands on with the Magellan trx7 and honestly I was not impressed, kinda clunky interface and not alot of info other than what you/the community creates and the terrain following in navigation mode is very twitchy(it follows the topo map terrain even if it's not accurate, like on the freeway.)  I think the trx7 is more suited to the SxS crowd as its IP67 rated .
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
John, I don't want to quote your entire post, but are you set strictly on an iPad? May I suggest an inexpensive Android with a micro SD slot? You can get a decent Android tablet in the mid $100s and plug a large capacity SD into it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 08:10:32 AM »
Great info in this thread to help me make a decision so thank you everyone who gave some input. Some of the better takeaways from the thread I listed below:

"you missed the turn dumb-ass, now make a U-turn"

"What am I, chopped liver? Or did you just miss my reply?"

You guys are the source of many a laugh on my end, thanks!
Isaiah 6:8

Syberia

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2005 Off Road
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
I use an Android phone with Copilot GPS.  Stores the maps offline so no signal needed, and so far it has had all the random dirt roads/trails I've gone on in the Mojave and Anza Borrego.  If I input the GPS coordinates of somewhere I've found on Google Earth, it gets me there without a problem, even well off the paved road.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:58:28 PM by Syberia »

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »
Just reading this post....Not sure if you made a move yet.  I use an app on Android called LocusMaps, and purchased a trail map system from California Trail Maps.  It has been extremely accurate for me so far, with trails all around central and southern California.  I have the maps already, and would be happy to share them with you.

You can pick up a cheap tablet pretty much anywhere and load these maps up on it, and mount it in your X.  The maps work offline, so you wouldn't need an internet connection.  A few nice additions are when you have internet, you can save your files in the cloud in case of loss of data.  Also, if you record a trip, you can share it with others who are using the same or similar programs, so others can drive the same route you did, making it much easier and convenient if you have never been on that route before.  I've recorded TMR and Cerro Gordo for example, and would feel extremely confident on its accuracy to navigate the trail on my own.

Lots of options out there, just another one in the tool belt.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 06:56:17 AM »
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
John, I don't want to quote your entire post, but are you set strictly on an iPad? May I suggest an inexpensive Android with a micro SD slot? You can get a decent Android tablet in the mid $100s and plug a large capacity SD into it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm not Rick, and I would prefer the Android/Samsung tablet with the expandable micro SD.  They are currently on sale at Costco for $159.  So tempted...
KD6DCI

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »
I'm not Rick, and I would prefer the Android/Samsung tablet with the expandable micro SD.  They are currently on sale at Costco for $159.  So tempted...
Do etttt.  lol
R. Long

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
Update:

I purchased a Samsung Tab A 10" tablet ($180 @ Costco), two 64GB micro SD cards ($24 @ Costco) a RAM cup holder/ball mounted tablet piece thingy ($79 at Fry's Electronics online), and a 5 year subscription to GAIA ($159).

So all in, about $450.  Over budget, yes, but very happy with the performance and value of all the products purchased.

The ability to utilize all of the map layers in GAIA pushed me over the budget edge...being able to quickly render a NatGeo or USFS maps quickly in the field has proven to be **awesome**

I have been surprised with the **out of the box** ease of use of the GAIA application, and it's **snap to** ability to track point A to point B for route planning is really cool.

I didn't think the RAM cup holder mount would be a solid platform...buuuut, it has proven to be very sturdy over miles of Arizona washboard on a recent 100 mile loop excursion.

Overall very please with the set up...thanks again Joe (chopped liv-ah), Rick, Erik, et al
KD6DCI