Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Edwin562's 07 2wd-4wd Build attempt.  (Read 23993 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Edwin562's 07 2wd-4wd Build attempt.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 09:32:50 AM »
Just came across this Edwin. Screaming deal if it's everything it's advertised to be: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/5775142864.html

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »
Just came across this Edwin. Screaming deal if it's everything it's advertised to be: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/5775142864.html

Rick sent this to me a while back, definitely a good buy but what the seller failed to post is all electrical is not included.

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »
Just wondering, where are the auto junk yards in the LA basin area?  Are they all spread out or is them some lumped together like we have in the SD area?  Ours is like a shopping mall of junk yards, 50 or more in a 1/2 mile square area.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 01:21:29 PM »
Alpha street in Irwindale/ Monrovia

http://m.yp.com/monrovia-ca/salvage-yard-on-alpha-st
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:02:28 PM by Toro »

beedee

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 02:44:48 PM »
If you get a used Transfer Case, I highly recommend changing out the Companion Flange and Companion Flange Seal on the front side of the case before installing it. The old design sucks balls and is prone to leak. Changing it before installing everything would make life easier in the long run.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
UPDATE:
Holy cow, did it take a while to update this. Lot has happen since my last post on my build. Ok so things have changed such as planning n viewing things in a different prospective. So as some may know, I sold everything on my Xterra. Basically back to stock. I did it because I was focusing in lift and looking badass instead of actually learning the ropes on the off roading culture. I want to start stock and build myself along with the X up to where may of you are. I want the Xterra to build and work around my style of offroading, not me work around what I have on the truck.

I am still planning to 4wd covert my X for the experience and the learning point of it. Yes its not the best financial way to look at things, but if learning first hand is worth a couple of hundred nor thousands of dollars, why not.

Slowly but surely my 4wd conversion parts are coming in. I already have front axles, hubs and diff mounting bolts. I recently acquired a matching ratio front & rear diff/axle from Joe. Its a 3.13 ratio but again, this is to get the truck 4wd mode and learn the ropes before jumping to a better ratio. Only thing left is transfer case with the shorter outputshaft and both driveshafts. Electrically I will be doing my own control unit to switch on and off from 2wd to 4wd. I do have a local offroad shop that I have been talking to and they are willing to help me to design and put together an independent 4wd selection system. Its just a waiting game at this moment.

I will be preparing myself and truck for the upcoming Bradshaw trail run. Will have enough time to throw on the rear axle and possibly pick up a set of K02 265/75R16 that a family member has sitting at his garage. Hopefully I can hit that trail in 2wd so I can really learn.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
Every story has its beginning as well as its ends... The story of this X's build has come to an end.

To wrap it up from the last update, everything has been the same, nothing new to the X. the spare C200 rear end will end up in the X due to the one I have on right now, its starting to produce the very distinct diff whine. So that will thrown on maybe in a few weeks.

Reason why this build thread will end because, its officially the family vehicle, strictly meant to transport my wife & son comfortably. With that said, say hi to my new toy :)

Build thread will soon commence.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »
Mods/Admins, if its totally necessary, close this build thread. :)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
Mods/Admins, if its totally necessary, close this build thread. :)

No need...just start a new thread and keep this one up for reference.

Mod on sir.  8)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »
I somehow think that rear axle might be a little overkill on that Radio Flyer but I'm sure some young kid will be super stoked.
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
Congrats on the new whip Edwin! You're officially a two-Xterra family now.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
I have some gen 1 15 charcoal wheels from frontiers that I freshly power coaxed if you are interested in them.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »
Congrats on the new whip Edwin! You're officially a two-Xterra family now.

Hell ya!!!

I have some gen 1 15 charcoal wheels from frontiers that I freshly power coaxed if you are interested in them.

shoot me pics via pm if you can

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
So, I thought we'd tackle this question together, here in your build thread(s) so you can reference it for future...reference.  :D

In the Shout Box you asked:

So just ordered the last of the maintenance parts for my 1st gen. I have done everything as far as serviceable maintenance on it to ensure I got my x in tip top shape before any mods. Now my dilemma is, should I start with basic upgrades such as lift & wheels or stay with my current status ( everything stock except rear swaybar removed and AT tires) & improve my wheeling skills, then gradually upgrade key parts.

The answers to your questions are...yes, and yes.

You should definitely continue to get out (either solo or with the group) and get your tires in the dirt.  Each experience builds your off road library of information recall.

With respect to your question about mods/equipment/tire upgrades...upgrade your stuff as necessary, as you experience a trail/obstacle that you came away from saying, "Next time a (insert part/accessory/tool/recovery gear here) would come in handy, and help me get through that section better."

You have been on this forum for a while now, and contributed well thought out posts and respnoses.  Time to take that knowledge, combined with your new 4x4, and get outside. 

Start with easier green routes, and build towards the trails that you see and want to upgrade your rig to tackle.  Like you said, starting from stock and running the rig to upgrade with necessary items is sincerely the best way to go.

PM me if you have any questions...we are all here to help (you empty your wallet  ;) )
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
I agree with Ghost in his post. There are tons of upgrades and many people will have opinions on what you need to have added onto your vehicle. I think you are going about it smart by getting the X in good running order. Get out and get your wheels dirty and you will start seeing what type of off roading you prefer and you can start tailoring your upgrades around that all the while hopefully not completely emptying out your bank account.
Isaiah 6:8