Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Dos Cabezas Siding near Ocotillo  (Read 10225 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Dos Cabezas Siding near Ocotillo
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »
My first photo post, so here goes.  Took a day trip out to the desert northwest of the town of Ocotillo.

Drove the Jojoba Trail before getting bearings and heading out the Montero Wash to the Dos Cabezas rail siding.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Found the siding which had a long string of contemporary rail cars stored there.  Old water tank still standing on wood stilts.
Rail cars and graffitti.
The old ruins of what might have been a station or outpost for the San Diego and Arizona Railroad.  This stop was used by the steam engines to rewater the boilers before the long trek into the Carrizo Gorge.
The towing torque and power of The Xterra is unmatched!  ;D
This wood trestle is about a mile from the Carrizo Gorge trail head, and another 1.5 miles from there are the larger curved wood trestles.
Ice cold adult beverage post trail ride.
Finally, drove home on the old S80 highway, which was very scenic and passed though several cool little towns, culminating in Campo where I drove by Lake Morena and then hit the 8 freeway via the Buckman Springs freeway exit/entrance.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:41:04 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

Re: Dos Cabezas Siding near Ocotillo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »
Dos Cabezas is a lot of fun. Easy trail to get to, lots to see. We were there a while back, and followed the rail line down towards Ocotillo, much the same route that you did it sounds like. There is some really deep soft sand out there. It was dark by the time we hit S-2, and we opted to skip the bar in Ocotillo. There is some amusing grafitti at Dos Cabezas.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Dos Cabezas Siding near Ocotillo
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:24:46 AM »
Dos Cabezas is a lot of fun. Easy trail to get to, lots to see. We were there a while back, and followed the rail line down towards Ocotillo, much the same route that you did it sounds like. There is some really deep soft sand out there. It was dark by the time we hit S-2, and we opted to skip the bar in Ocotillo. There is some amusing grafitti at Dos Cabezas.

I agree, fairly mellow trail, which was good as I was traveling solo.  This was a great first run opportunity and the Xterra performed really well.  A surprising amount of "traffic" coming in around noon as I was leaving, a few Range Rovers, 4x4 full sized pick ups etc. and a couple of guys in a 2WD long bed Tacoma who took on some of that soft sand.  The weather, as always in the desert in the winter, was spectacular.

I would really enjoy checking out an SCCX trail run, is it best just to look on the Xcursion section for planned events?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.