Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New wheels (amazing online deal!)  (Read 3743 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
New wheels (amazing online deal!)
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
Wasn't really sure if this should go in my build thread, in the "what have you done for your rig lately" thread, or the garage sale thread, so I'll just start a new thread here in the general discussion.  ::)

Anyway, I ordered a new set of Level 8 Guardian wheels today from Discount Tire online. For some strange reason, the wheels are on special for $66 a piece (instead of the regular $134 each), plus they're running a deal that you save $50 off of an order of 4 wheels of select brands (which Level 8 was included). Combined with free shipping and no tax, total out the door was $214.16.

Here's the kicker - the website said they were out of stock in the "stock status" section of the product page, but it still allowed me to add them to my cart and complete the full checkout process, so I'm hoping that I just got placed into a backorder cue and will get them shipped at some point. They did not have the little "special" flag on the website, which the site says is limited to stock on hand (closeouts, etc). Keeping my fingers crossed!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/Wheels%202_1.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/Wheels_1.jpg

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
Re: New wheels (amazing online deal!)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »
Woah!  Awesome price!   ::) ::)

Why 4 and not 5?  Spare tire?

Any idea on mounting price?

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »
Didn't really think about the 5th wheel for the spare. But.... I don't have a tire carrier rear bumper (yet), so it's not really important (yet). In theory, I should have added it to this order so I would get them all together, but in reality, it would have been $66 more to order a 5th wheel (since the $50 off deal was for a set of 4) and since there's no tax or shipping, I could log back in and place a separate order for a single wheel for that same $66. I'm not really concerned about having the 5th wheel now though, although I'm sure one day I'll regret that.

As for the mounting price - I can take them anywhere and have them done (they're shipping to my house). The little local shops tend to have the best price on mounting and balancing, but they also don't always do a good job (especially when it comes to balancing our heavy off-road tires), and you can't just go back to them when you have issues. My plan is to hang onto them until I need new tires (which should be within a year), and mount them up with new 33s when the time comes. But... knowing how impatient I am... I wouldn't be surprised if I end up down at my local America's Tire the day they arrive throwing my money at them to get them on the rig as fast as possible.  ::) They'll charge a good bundle of money - $20ish a piece just for the mounting and balancing, plus they sneak in an extra $6ish per wheel for "TPMS rebuild kits" and "new valve stems." I'm a big fan of America's tire, but they sure do know how to nickel and dime you to death to get back the money they gave up when they gave you the best price on your tires. Their website already tried to add a $45 "install kit" (which was just lug nuts and $12 for "TPMS Rebuilt Kits" and another $6 for new valve stems, all of which I was able to remove from the cart.

Now... if only I can figure out a way to "accidentally" ruin 2 or 3 tires to take advantage of my road hazard warranty from America's Tire... I could upgrade to 33s a lot sooner than expected.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:10:39 PM by JFanaselle »

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »
Is that a misprint? Holy crap, that's about half the normal price.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »
Well... things that seem too good to be true, usually are. :(

I got a text from Discount Tire Direct this morning saying there was an issue with my order and asking me to call. Upon calling, it was explained that the wheels are no longer made by Level 8, and that Discount Tire had no more in stock. They called Level 8 to check if any more could be had, but there were none.

They're offering me a "deal" on the MB TKOs, but it's not that rich. $99 each (which is only $15 off of their everyday price), plus the $50 savings on the set of 4 (which is the current sale). Comes out to about $340 shipped for the set, which isn't rich enough to make it impulsive for me, but it is a $110 savings total including the promotion. I'll probably pass, but they're giving me some time to think about it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:33:09 AM by JFanaselle »

nomad27

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
Bummer.  Kind of sounds like a bait and switch.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »
Nah, I think they genuinely did put them on clearance and run out. I noticed they're pulled off the website as of this morning. I work in e-commerce, and it seems like a classic case of a merchant forgetting to set the item to what we call NBO status, which means it's non-back orderable. If they had done that, it wouldn't have let me add it to the cart and/or checkout.

The guy on the phone really did try to help me get a set. He checked store inventories and called the manufacturer while I was on the line. Discount/America's Tire service has always been top notch. I just missed the deal, that's all. :(

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Nah, I think they genuinely did put them on clearance and run out. I noticed they're pulled off the website as of this morning. I work in e-commerce, and it seems like a classic case of a merchant forgetting to set the item to what we call NBO status, which means it's non-back orderable. If they had done that, it wouldn't have let me add it to the cart and/or checkout.

The guy on the phone really did try to help me get a set. He checked store inventories and called the manufacturer while I was on the line. Discount/America's Tire service has always been top notch. I just missed the deal, that's all. :(

JF I bet it was the Canadian's fault all this happened to you. I'll get in his ear about it next Thursday at the food truck meet up.
Isaiah 6:8

nomad27

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »

Glad to hear that.  I always try to see the glass half-full and knowing they are now pulled off the site is good to hear.  I am also considering some new wheels so it is nice to know they have great customer service.