Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Greetings from the high desert~!  (Read 7807 times)

Dave Kay

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2013 Xterra S 4WD
Greetings from the high desert~!
« on: June 27, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »
First, I would like to thank the webmaster for the extra effort in helping activate my account--- mucho' thanks~!!! Looking forward to participating in your great Xterra site~!

Originally from Orange Co., wife Lynn and I moved to Victorville 8 years ago and we've never looked back~! We love the high desert climate and have come to appreciate and enjoy how close we are to the many recreational options & activities we have here--- activities that many a SoCal resident travels for hours to also enjoy. Living here, we finally realize what old Slim Whitman and Roy Rogers meant when they sang:

"... where the dear and antelope play... where seldom is heard, a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day...'

Home on The Range

2013 Xterra S 4WD - bone stock

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
Re: Greetings from the high desert~!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »
Welcome from the OC.  Kudos to you for being able to tolerate the high temps and wind. I have to travel to Palmdale on a regular basis for work.  I start sweating just thinking about going out there. :D
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »
Welcome from San Clemente!!

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
Welcome from Murrieta! :D

Dave Kay

• 2013 Xterra S 4WD
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
Thanks to all~! And hey Woody--- I lived in Orange for 23 years--- like that town a bunch; how's the old Circle, still got that 1890's charm?

Regards~!

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
Welcome from the SGV! High desert can be a beautiful place, plus cleghorn is just down the hill!

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »
Victorville puts you right on the door step of many of our runs near Big Bear.  You'll also have a Cracker Barrel soon. lol I'm on the totally opposite side of the valley as you, up in Rosamond.  Welcome.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Dave Kay

• 2013 Xterra S 4WD
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
BTW JF - I have some work coming up soon, down Murrieta way... got a room available for rent? (just kidding~! :D)

@CV - Cleghorn indeed~! If I'm going to do the whole trail, Hwy138 to I15, I much prefer the 'downhill' version though... damn that uphill trip over rocks and rocks and more rocks~! (read that; or haven't I found the easier route, yet?)

And thanks RIK, Big Bear is about an hour from my door. Found an off-road trail that we'd like to try which leaves out of Apple Valley and heads up to Fawnskin--- almost all off road. It traverses part of the old an historic Van Dusen Road. Looks to be an easy Sunday-lunch drive... will see when I get a chance... and a Cracker Barrel? Lordy~! Probably coming to Over-Priced Restaurant Row there off Bear Valley exit... just what we need~! Me, I sure miss Norm's there on Katella in Orange... with all the Vegas/Laughlin/River  travelers passing through Victorville, can't figure out why we don't have one yet...

Regards~!

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »
Love me some Norm's breakfast! The closest one to me is in Riverside. I make the trek up there once every couple of months when I can't stand the cravings anymore (you'll soon learn that I'm really big on eating good food :P).

Maybe we can meet up for a bite or a drink or a chat when you're in the Murrieta area. When will you be down this way, and where? We have a couple other members around here too, but they've been pretty inactive of late. We used to have a monthly "eat and greet" for the IE members, but it fizzled away.

Oh and sorry, I don't have a room for rent at the moment, but my two big yellow labs are always looking for a cuddle buddy. :D

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »
Thanks to all~! And hey Woody--- I lived in Orange for 23 years--- like that town a bunch; how's the old Circle, still got that 1890's charm?

Regards~!

Still has some of that charm, but the hipsters have taken over so everything has full sleeve tattoos and mountain man beards. >:(
Watson's was bought by a local contractor and complete revamped.  Good food and a full bar, just have to watch for the whiskers and ink.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Dave Kay

• 2013 Xterra S 4WD
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
Still has some of that charm, but the hipsters have taken over so everything has full sleeve tattoos and mountain man beards. >:(
Watson's was bought by a local contractor and complete revamped.  Good food and a full bar, just have to watch for the whiskers and ink.

Yup Woody, the tattoo people were fairly well established when we left there but mountain-men is a new twist... must be the Chapman kids, eh? Last we looked at homes near the Circle area the best we could do was a 900sf Craftsman on one acre built in 1918 for just under $600K... figured it was about time to let it go. And Watson's 'revamped'? Oh no--- why do I suspect somebody from Knott's is making it theme-ish as in '50's Diner decor, ad nausea...??? Full bar good. We got Calico Ghost Town. ::)

Big Thanks for the Orange Update Woody~!

Regards~!

Dave Kay

• 2013 Xterra S 4WD
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 08:38:59 PM »
Love me some Norm's breakfast! The closest one to me is in Riverside. I make the trek up there once every couple of months when I can't stand the cravings anymore (you'll soon learn that I'm really big on eating good food :P).

Maybe we can meet up for a bite or a drink or a chat when you're in the Murrieta area. When will you be down this way, and where? We have a couple other members around here too, but they've been pretty inactive of late. We used to have a monthly "eat and greet" for the IE members, but it fizzled away.

Oh and sorry, I don't have a room for rent at the moment, but my two big yellow labs are always looking for a cuddle buddy. :D

I swear--- isn't Norm's a Bringing Folks Together kinda' place, JF? Sure is for me~! Even at 2:45 in the morning, it's about the best place to be~! (*burp*) :-X

As far as we know Murietta is not a real soon job spot just yet, maybe August/Sept, when projects break and hiring starts. Work as a heavy equipment operator and we hear you've got more than a few home-builder big dirt spreads coming up before year's end... if the job goes 12hr days I might just consider those cuddle buddy labs... either way JF, we'll keep in touch here--- fer' sure.

beedee

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
Welcome from Long Beach.

Is that road you speak of, Coxey Road? It is a great and easy drive from Apple Valley up to Big Bear!

Dave Kay

• 2013 Xterra S 4WD
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »
Welcome from Long Beach.

Is that road you speak of, Coxey Road? It is a great and easy drive from Apple Valley up to Big Bear!

Thanks BEEDEE--- And yes, it's called Coxey Truck Trail, Coxey Road, 3N14, BLM 3255, got it from BackRoadsWest.com, great site for Trip Blogs,  etc.,. (http://www.backroadswest.com/blog/)

Good old Long Beach~! Last time I worked there was 2012 at the Kaiser on PCH, near the 110, and we witnessed the Endeavor space shuttle's last fly-by of the LA area from a 6 story building--- and while we watched with binoculars towards downtown LB in the distance and her pass over the Queen Mary, we all commented on how cool it was seeing the 747 piggyback config from that distance until the 747 headed along the shoreline, due North--- where he suddenly banked kind of steeply right over Rancho Palo Verdes and pointed his nose toward us, coming straight on--- while everybody is cheering, within about 10 seconds he banked again real steep--- and flew right directly over our heads--- at about 700-1000 feet~!!! We all almost fell over backwards trying to look straight up, as he heading out towards LAX~! Everyone was dumbfounded to put it mildly~! And did anybody think to have a camera ready? Not even a chance~!!! LOL~! What a great memory though~!

Regards~!

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »
Welcome from San Diego  >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch