Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anyone here from Victorville? Have a question about the city  (Read 9728 times)

Xterror

• 4wd Pts: 2
Anyone here from Victorville? Have a question about the city
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
Hello everyone,  this isnt a Xterra or Off-Road questions, but it does say under GENERAL " ask about anything"  hahahaha.  I might have an opportunity to move Victorville,  in one of the houses around

I was wondering how the community is,  I know all cities have their good and bad sections, but I just wanted some feedback from people who know the area.  I have a 11month old and planning on having more, so I'm mainly concern about raising my children in a good area.  I currently own in Upland, which I love, but I might have a once in a lifetime opportunity  right now to get into one of these houses.  Any feedback will help,  thanks in advance!!!!  ;D
Formerly Ed_monster

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
Re: Anyone here from Victorville? Have a question about the city
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »

All I know is that there have been numerous UFO and a few bigfoot sitings in and around Victorville.  I'd go for it.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:12:42 AM »
I have a realtor who works out of Rancho Cucamonga, who is also a police officer, and has great "resources" shall we say on what areas of communities are good/bad/indifferent.  She worked with me tirelessly before we moved to the San Gabriel Valley for a year from San Diego and faced the same questions.  PM me if you like and I will give you her contact information.

Initially, I would check the schools/pre-school opportunities, and see what the class sizes are when your little one goes to school.  Visit with the school's director or principal to get a feel for what the curriculum is like. 

Also, visit your prospective neighborhood at different times of the day/week.  You will meet many neighbors on Saturdays and Sundays, and talk with them as well.

Good luck, and Victorville is very close to some fantastic desert locations.

John
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Xterror

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
All I know is that there have been numerous UFO and a few bigfoot sitings in and around Victorville.  I'd go for it.

This is going on my PROS side of my PROS/CONS list I'm making,  and separate too, so it counts as 2 pros.  

Edgar
Formerly Ed_monster

Xterror

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
I have a realtor who works out of Rancho Cucamonga, who is also a police officer, and has great "resources" shall we say on what areas of communities are good/bad/indifferent.  She worked with me tirelessly before we moved to the San Gabriel Valley for a year from San Diego and faced the same questions.  PM me if you like and I will give you her contact information.

Initially, I would check the schools/pre-school opportunities, and see what the class sizes are when your little one goes to school.  Visit with the school's director or principal to get a feel for what the curriculum is like. 

Also, visit your prospective neighborhood at different times of the day/week.  You will meet many neighbors on Saturdays and Sundays, and talk with them as well.

Good luck, and Victorville is very close to some fantastic desert locations.

John

Thanks for the info John.   My best friend's Sister is a Police Officer too, Im going to ask her if she has resources on that area, if she doesn't I'll be PMing you for the contact info  :)
Formerly Ed_monster

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
My best advice is to go there and walk the neighborhood a few times at different times of the day. I sat in my car outside my house for a few hours and watched the neighbor's come home, watched their kids, and listened to the neighborhood.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »
I had a horrible experience the one time i stayed at victorville.  I avoid that place at all times.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »
My best advice is to go there and walk the neighborhood a few times at different times of the day. I sat in my car outside my house for a few hours and watched the neighbor's come home, watched their kids, and listened to the neighborhood.

Got arrested... ;)

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »

I take it this was before the guy who shot his dog with the paintball gun moved in?

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:10:40 AM »
I was wondering how the community is,  I know all cities have their good and bad sections, but I just wanted some feedback from people who know the area.  I have a 11month old and planning on having more, so I'm mainly concern about raising my children in a good area.  I currently own in Upland, which I love, but I might have a once in a lifetime opportunity  right now to get into one of these houses.  Any feedback will help,  thanks in advance!!!!  ;D

Its been nicknamed "Victimville"  (see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=victimville), yes its referring to that Victorville

We've always called it "Hicktorville"

I know there's water issues - no one seems to have a lawn. Lots of areas with dirt streets.

Xterror

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm   I always heard bad things too,  going to go check it out this weekend.

My In-laws are trying to convince us to move out there and they will buy a house for us.  My father-in-law recently retired and my mother-in-law is looking to do the same soon.  Their plan is to each sale their homes in LA county (divorced but friends), and with their equity and stocks buy each of them a home and one for each of their 3 kids.  Homes built in 2008, so of course the look Amazing.  They want the family close and  Mortgage free, which of course anyone would jump on that deal,  except for me.  hahahahah.  I look at,  hmmm do I want to live there?  I know Im struggling with my mortgage now, but I'm going through a Mod that should lower my payments soon.  Am I going to feel like I'm always going to owe her parents?  They are great people and I get along great with them and her 2 older brothers. Some people look at my like I'm nuts for not saying YES right away!.  I can see how her brothers are excited for it, they dont currently own or have a set Job/Career location.   Do I want to be 40miles from work and be mortgage free in a house 2x as big as my current one? or stay in my 1400sqft home, struggle with payments for now until my career takes off and be 5miles from work and in a lil town I've grown to love (Upland).   Decisions Decisions!  and they want me to decide like NOW!!!  ahhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!  

Sorry for the rambling, needed to vent.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:19:50 PM by Xterror »
Formerly Ed_monster

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »
Boy, that's a tough call.  A free house in hell.  I'll have to get back to you on that one. ;)

Xterror

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »
Well apparently after talking to my cousin and aunt that live in Victimville, it has its nice areas and they like living out there.  One good area being where my in-laws are trying to buy.  I spoke to my in-laws and they tell me that if I make this move, they dont expect me to stay there forever.  They are ok with not liking it and selling and moving to somewhere else.  Hmmmm now I got more PROS!   I'm leaning more twds giving it a shot and rent my current home for nowa and come back if I dont like it.  My baby is only 11 months old so it'll give me time to check out schools etc.  Guess we'll see what I think after going to check out the place.  And no mortgage for now will def. help to save money for the future.    ???  ::)  :o
Formerly Ed_monster

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »
Ever heard there's no such thing as a free lunch?  There's also an expression about someone giving you a "free puppy".  I think you will respect yourself more Edgar if you make it on your own.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
(Upland).

Im in Upland - love it here. If youre used to Upland then Victorville will be like shopping at Walmart when youve been used to shopping at Macy's