Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Wheels for Heals  (Read 4527 times)

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
Wheels for Heals
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
Hey Guys/Gals :)

Ok, so I would like some input from EVERYONE on what you think about this:

I stumbled upon a page on Facebook called 'Wheels for Heals'.  It's a non-profit charity for wounded veterans who like to go 4wheeling but may not be able to because of injuries suffered in the line of duty.

They posted a message seeking something for the weekend of 4/6; at first, I wanted to see if we could have them out on our Truckhaven run, but another club got the jump on us, and I'm glad they are getting a chance to go out.

Here's where I need some input; I have been trading emails with the west coast contact for their group, and I have told her about our club, but not made any committments or the like as far as SCCX goes. 

**BUT**

What does SCCX think? I would like to get involved with this because I think it would be a fantastic way to give back to these guys who put their lives on the line for us desk jockey's and the like.  As active of a group as we are, I think our Xcursions would mesh with what they're looking for as well.  BUT....I am not committing anything or anyone until I get more feedback from you, SCCX.  I will sign up as an individual volunteer if SCCX isn't interested or it doesn't fit what our club or group of like minded individuals wants.

From what I gathered, it would consist of some of the veterans coming along in one of our rigs, and perhaps bringing their own as well.  My contact, Jennifer, said that she has a stock Jeep, and that some of her volunteers have very off road capable rigs and experience to go with it.

I'm just beginning to gather info, so I might not have all the answers; but, if you have one, let me know and I'll gladly email Jennifer and ask.

-Christiaan

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
Re: Wheels for Heals
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
Christian,

I think that is a tremendous idea.   We could possibly schedule dual purpose 2N02 work party.   Some light wheeling, a little work.  Organize a fun lunch stop.   Then possibly some optional more advanced wheeling for the adventurous lot.   

I'm feel that we should check with Ghostx to make sure we are within the boundaries of the AAT charter.

Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

BikersCage

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
I would be down for either or both.  Knowing a lot of service members who have disabilities because of deployments overseas i love to help them in any way.

Odinson

• 4wd Pts: 6
  • 2009 Xterra 4x4
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
Awesome idea!! I would definitely sign up for this.
- "Let us live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
IMHO - we are just starting to get the AAT program off the ground, and people are very enthused.  I don't want to spread ourselves too thin by combining two programs when one is just starting to take off.

Also, from my understanding of their program, the Wheels To Heal program works with sanctioned clubs only...this Informal Gathering Site that we call a club is far from that description.

If someone wants to personally reach out and host a veteran for the day on the trail, that would be great.  

Just not sure if the timing of this is optimal as we are just getting the AAT organized?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
That's why I posted this as a question; I was very clear to my contact that I am not offering up SCCX for anything and that my personal time might be all that comes out of the emails we traded.

Again: I was inquiring as to what SCCX thought of this.  I did not and would not volunteer anyone else up without consent.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »
****Disclaimer: In spite of all the new stars next to my avatar, I am not speaking for the BOD here.****

If the W4H group is flexible enough to deal with individuals, I don't see why you couldn't post your own run here.  Something like: "Hey I'm going to Anza on the 15th with some Vets.  Anyone is welcome to come along, post here or just PM me."

Please Anyone let me know if this would cause trouble.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

panathrasher

• 4wd Pts: 13
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
Is there any news on this? It sounds like an awesome idea and I don't want it to die.
2011 Xterra PRO4X..... KJ6SRM

DocNasty

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
I love this idea and would be willing to go on a run SV.

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
I signed up just as an individual.....I will definitely post up the runs when they occur around us!!

Thanks for the interest!!

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
Thanks for keeping us posted Christiaan ;)
I'm in.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO