Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Memorial Weekend Run Sherman Pass/ Kennedy Meadows Seqouia Nat. Park!  (Read 9142 times)

mark1107

• 4wd Pts: -6
Everyone,

Nia and I would like to do Sherman Pass, Kennedy Meadows in the Sequoia National Park the weekend of Memorial Day. This is a corridor which cuts thru Domeland Wilderness & the South Sierra Wilderness. This route connects the Kern River (near Fairview) to Kennedy Meadows to the 395 all the way from Lake Isabella.

I called the Forest Ranger Station in Lake Isabella and they said there is still snow but that Sherman Pass is open!!!

This trip would include:

1. Saturday Morning meeting in Bakersfield. Driving up 178 Through Lake Isabella.
2. Take Mountain Highway 99 to Forest Road 22S05/Sherman Pass Road
3. Bald Mountain Fire Lookout that you can see for 10 or 15 miles up through the Pacific Crest Trail/Mountains of Light/Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park where there are antenneas and an elctricity shed that would be a great lunch spot.
4. Take Sherman Pass to Forest Route 21S31 or 21S41 or 21S36 to Fish Creek & camp.
5. In the morning take Sherman Pass to Kennedy Meadows and camp by one of the streams Sunday night. For those who want to take off then you can exit Sherman Pass/Kennedy Meadows/Old Rt 241 which turns into 9 Mile Canyon road which takes you to the 395.
6. Monday get up and explore Kennedy Meadows some more to Canebrake road to Chimney Basin Road.  and pick up Lake Isabella and leave or go out through 9 Mile Road.

The hardest part is entering Sherman Pass Rd from highway 99. I would rate it at a 4 out of 10 for difficulty. Stock Xterras can make it with help. Plus we have a winch and experience.

Is anyone interested? This would be a great two day run and Nia & I are ready.

Meet up Place: Saturday 10 AM Chevron Gas Station
357 Weedpatch HWY Bakersfield CA Which is actually the HWY 184 & 58.
There is a motel 6 and we are right down the street from the 178 which will take us into Lake Isabella and Kernville.

This will be a two day or a Three day excursion so I will bring a couple of 5 Gallon cans of gas. Also food and water is good for at least two days if not three days and we will gas up at the Chevron Station in Bakersfield Saturday Morning.

I called the Forest Ranger Station in Lake Isabella and they said there is still snow but that Sherman Pass is open!!!

So far Kent and his wife and Mark & Nia are going!

Please post up here if interested. I know this last minute but we can do this Run AGAIN for June too!! From Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon.

HellerX

• 4wd Pts: 0
We are stoked! Should be beautiful up there... :D
I love it when a plan comes together!

mark1107

• 4wd Pts: -6
Kent,

Nia and I had a blast with you and your wife. Even though the trails werent what we thought, it was still great camping in the high Sierras and exploring the area around Kennedy Meadows and Black Rock Ranger Station with both of you.

Mark

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
So wheres the pictures?
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
Yeah!  were are the pictures?!
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD