Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: AAT Trail Report Link - Yahoo Groups Adopt A Trail SBNF 2/19  (Read 6217 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
AAT Trail Report Link - Yahoo Groups Adopt A Trail SBNF 2/19
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »
For those of you who attended, and for others who want the official link to check out the Yahoo Groups postings, here you go:

Yahoo Groups Adopt A Trail SBNF
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:07:12 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
Re: AAT Trail Report Link - Yahoo Groups Adopt A Trail SBNF 2/19
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
Tried to join the yahoo group and "membership is awaiting approval by the group owner".    Do we have to contact Greg to identify ourselves as SCCX or anything?
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
For those of you who have not been able to login to Yahoo Groups Adopt A Trail SBNF, below is the excellent report that John posted.  

BTW, I completed the registration form yesterday and received an automatically generated email response today notifying me of my approval and providing me with various links to the site.  I had stated in the comment section of the registration form that I was a member of SCCX who is the designated 2N02 AAT volunteer group.  You may want to check your spam/junk email folder if you don't receive the notification.  

We left San Diego on Friday (2/15) evening and spent the night in the Lake Arrowhead area. The plan was to meet Ranger Greg Hoffman and 10 other members on Saturday morning and drive and develop a trail maintenance plan for the Burns Canyon/Trail 2N02 route.

Saturday morning dawned a beautiful but chilly sunrise. We left Lake Arrowhead around 7am and headed for a quick breakfast in Running Springs.  Nothing like a little biscuits and gravy to get the blood flowing! Meeting everyone at the BB Discovery Center at 8:30, we shared hellos and introductions. The group was pretty excited, and we handed out the club's AAT stickers to all present. We had a couple of extra people show, so the vehicle count was 9 with 12 people accounted for. Greg arrived and gave a quick talk on the AAT program, then it was off to the vehicles and a tour of the Ranger Station. Everyone in the club came away very impressed, from the greenhouse with the native plant project, to the wood collection area and tool shed, a lot of opportunity to get involved.

Finally, off to the trail! I was excited, as I got to ride with Greg in his Jeep (not too tough for an Xterra owner) and spend the day writing the clubs annual trail maintenance plan. We stopped and reset to odometer for the day.  All told, we would drive 13 miles from 10am to 3pm and I would take five pages of notes. Stopping at the Johnson Valley overlook we took photos of the group with the club banner for our Facebook page, and Greg spoke about how to block and provide slashing for illegally cut trails. The next exciting stop was for a vehicle over the side of the trail, near Pontiac Sluice. Interestingly enough, after hiking carefully down the slope, it was identified as an Oldsmobile, mid-60's vintage. Well rusted and shot up, we discussed a plan for extrication.

Farther down the trail we noted the locations of some drainage need maintenance, and stopped for lunch after the Rose Mine area of the trail. Lunch was great, and the mood around the folding chairs was that of excitement. Everyone had lots to talk about, as the CB chatter and history provided were fuel for much discussion. We broke for lunch and prepared to complete our day.

The final big project, after removing/winching a downed Joshua Tree from the trail, was the removal and slashing of an illegal fire pit area just off the trail around mile 11. Three Xterras headed down the spur and we all spent a good 30 minutes dispersing large ringed rocks, burnt ash, glass, removing litter, and shoveling down the mound of debris. We placed branches and a large downed Joshua Tree limb over the fire ring area, hopefully dissuading others from using this area again illegally. However I marked it for monitoring, as it looks like other areas along 2N02, very popular for camping. We drove on for another two miles, and at the intersection of the Rattlesnake Canyon/2N02 turn off we completed our day. Greg was gracious enough to approve the trail plan, pose for a few pictures, and the lead a group out to Highway 38.

Our group headed back up the mountain the way we came, and stopped at a few more areas to make more notes on the trail maintenance plan. A big THANKS to Greg for helping make the day both fun and educational, and the 12 club members of SCCX who participated! We will be back soon for another day of AAT maintenance.

Cheers,

John
Southern California Club Xterra
Club hours: 91

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:53:05 PM by RockinX »

Pro4X-Gremlin

• 4wd Pts: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:46:45 PM »
For those of you who have not been able to login to Yahoo Groups Adopt A Trail SBNF, below is the excellent report that John posted. 

BTW, I completed the registration form yesterday and received an automatically generated email response today notifying me of my approval and providing me with various links to the site.  I had stated in the comment section of the registration form that I was a member of SCCX who is the designated 2N02 AAT volunteer group.  You may want to check your spam/junk email folder if you don't receive the notification. 

Thanks for sharing. I was notified today of approval. I too referenced SCCX and trail.  :)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:41:30 AM »
Tried to join the yahoo group and "membership is awaiting approval by the group owner".    Do we have to contact Greg to identify ourselves as SCCX or anything?

Just be patient...it get's approved in a couple of days.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »
Updated post from Greg today:

Hello Adopt-a-Trail Volunteers!  Only one month until Spring!  It will be time to start writing our Adopt-a-Trail road and trail maintenance plans for 2013.

Here are some items.  PLEASE share with your clubs:

TRAINING: Please contact Don Alexander @ don@offroadbigbear.com
- First Aid CPR Certification Training 3/16/13 (San Bernardino)- (One person per club is required to hold a current Red Cross Card) Instructor: Jeff Bolt.

- Chainsaw Training- Currently under contract, pending date will be posted a.s.a.p.  Instructor: U.S.F.S

- Map and GPS Training- pending date will be posted a.s.a.p.  Instructor: Doug Guimond

- March 9, 2013: Adopt-a-Trail Junior Ranger 4x4 Educational Forest Field Trip 0900 Big Bear Discovery Center.  Contact ghoffman@fs.fed.us for more information.

- Mandatory Workplace Conduct Training- PDF document and course completion sign off sheet-Every Volunteer needs to get this done.

PROJECTS: Please contact Greg Hoffman @ ghoffman@fs.fed.us
- March 2: Baldy Mesa OHV Trail Construction Project review Open House @ Mormon Rocks Fire Station 1000-1200.

- April 20: Earth Day Project pending type and location, will be posted a.s.a.p.

MAINTENANCE PLANS: Please contact Ted Kalil @ tskalil@msn.net

- Every Adopt-a-Trail Club please complete writing your road and trail maintenance plans by June 1, 2013.

- Please advise Greg Hoffman of any equipment (bulldozer, front loader, chainsaws etc.) is needed.

NEWS:.
- In order to support your Adopt-a-Trail projects, reserve a USFS private group camp (one per club/year) contact: ghoffman@fs.fed.us

- Adopt-a-Trail Awards Ceremony/BBQ Cook-Off September 28, 2013 (11-3 PM) Big Bear Discovery Center

- HELP! Forest Road NEEDS to be adopted; 2N49 (Monument Peak Road) is located off of Palm Avenue (Freeway-215) in Devore.  This road is easy to moderate in difficulty and extends 14 miles to Silverwood Lake please contact ghoffman@fs.fed.us if your club is interested.

- We
KD6DCI

Pro4X-Gremlin

• 4wd Pts: 11
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
Does anyone here hold the Red Cross Cert in this group club? James and I could sign up for the CPR. It's local drive to us. It says one person per group is required   ???   However, if the ONE person can't make it to any particular outing...what does that mean... SOL ? Drop dead?   Or is the requirement just a fulfillment as a group participation thingy.  I have a medical backgound, but it's been more than a few years...

BikersCage

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
I have to check for myself.  It is required for us in the military.  I just have to confirm that mine is still valid.  If its not ill make sure to get our doc to re validate it.