Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New Lava X in Orange County!  (Read 8645 times)

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
New Lava X in Orange County!
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
Hello SCCX.

I'm steve c from Yorba Linda

I recently purchased a 2012 lava red S 4x4.  This is my first 4 wheel drive vehicle. 

I posted a welcome page on thenewX and was referred here by GhostX for more of the local flavor.  I like it here so far!

My truck

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/1528/20130210171601.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/6698/img2304zy.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/4731/img2271w.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/6149/img2289td.jpg

I have been invited by a few friends to travel the Mojave Road in November.  I am trying to get my truck mod list put together in order of priority and importance.  If anyone has suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it 

So far I'm thinking

1.  Suspension
NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit
Definitely open to suggestions and opinions here

2.  Tires
Not sure yet - Some sort of 33" I would imagine

3.  Sliders
White knuckle or Hefty

4.  Rear bumper/tire carrier/highlift jack mount
Right now, I'm liking the Hefty, but open to anyone's suggestions

5.  Roof rack
Most likely going to go with Dephep

6.  Front bumper / winch
Hefty
Not sure on winch

7.  Skids
Most likely hefty

How does my order look?  What would you do differently? 
My ultimate goal right now is to create a capable overlanding / expedition rig.  As of now, I do not have the desire to climb crazy rock gardens or anything like that!

Thanks in advance for everyones help.
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
Re: New Lava X in Orange County!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
Welcome. I really like that color.

Those are some great mods you have in store.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
Welcome to SCCX Steve,
Great looking X and killer wheels on the bike!
You look like you will be a great mod-mad-man :)
You look pretty informed with your Mod list as well.  IMHO I went with sliders first to protect your investment, then your build up looks great.  Get a CB in there as soon as you can to get the full pleasure of being in a group as well.  
Check the boards, we are doing Mojave in April, your stock rig w/CB would be plenty qualified for this trip and there will be room for you for sure if you can make it.  We always have cancelations and such.  Great chance to meet most of the best folks in the club at once.
Good luck, see ya on the trail, Randy
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:30:48 PM by RBduffer »
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
Welcome from San Clemente!

Shrockworks for rear bumper w/ tire carrier option

Shrockworks for sliders

Shrockworks for front bumper

They're a bit more expensive than others, but their quality justifies their pricing...

Great mod list....I would suggest getting a CB and some recovery gear first, then work on armor, then tires/rims....but that's just me....

Hope to see you out on the trails!!

-Christiaan

aka xxSVxx

:)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:37:15 PM »
Welcome Steve...love the Xterra and that's a nice T2 bike rack!  BEAST of a bike BTW!!

Glad you made it over for the local "flavor."

There is a run to Truckhaven coming up the beginning of April...Mojave Road in late April...and more Adopt A Trail stuff upcoming in Big Bear for the summer.  Oh yeah...Moab in May!!
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

steve c

• 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
Welcome. I really like that color.

Those are some great mods you have in store.

Thanks!  I was going to get a white one and then I saw the red.  I fell in love

Welcome to SCCX Steve,
Great looking X and killer wheels on the bike!
You look like you will be a great mod-mad-man :)
You look pretty informed with your Mod list as well.  IMHO I went with sliders first to protect your investment, then your build up looks great.  Get a CB in there as soon as you can to get the full pleasure of being in a group as well. 
Check the boards, we are doing Mojave in April, your stock rig w/CB would be plenty qualified for this trip and there will be room for you for sure if you can make it.  We always have cancelations and such.  Great chance to meet most of the best folks in the club at once.
Good luck, see ya on the trail, Randy

That's a great point on the sliders, Randy.  I will rearrange the list accordingly. 
As far as the CB, just like everything else with this endeavor, I have no idea what I'm doing.  I will need to research.

Welcome from San Clemente!

Shrockworks for rear bumper w/ tire carrier option

Shrockworks for sliders

Shrockworks for front bumper

They're a bit more expensive than others, but their quality justifies their pricing...

Great mod list....I would suggest getting a CB and some recovery gear first, then work on armor, then tires/rims....but that's just me....

Hope to see you out on the trails!!

-Christiaan

aka xxSVxx

:)

Thanks for the suggestions!  On the Shrockworks front bumper, is there trimming envolved?  I like the look of the Shrockworks better than the Hefty, but the Hefty accounts for my gen 2.5s buck tooth (teeth?) 

As far as the recovery gear, where is a good place to learn about that?  Again, I have no idea what I'm doing, yet.  If you or anyone could point me in the direction of where to get started I could drastically reduce the number of stupid and redundant questions. 

Welcome Steve...love the Xterra and that's a nice T2 bike rack!  BEAST of a bike BTW!!

Glad you made it over for the local "flavor."

There is a run to Truckhaven coming up the beginning of April...Mojave Road in late April...and more Adopt A Trail stuff upcoming in Big Bear for the summer.  Oh yeah...Moab in May!!
Steve - KK6OFL

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
Thanks!  I was going to get a white one and then I saw the red.  I fell in love

That's a great point on the sliders, Randy.  I will rearrange the list accordingly. 
As far as the CB, just like everything else with this endeavor, I have no idea what I'm doing.  I will need to research.

Thanks for the suggestions!  On the Shrockworks front bumper, is there trimming envolved?  I like the look of the Shrockworks better than the Hefty, but the Hefty accounts for my gen 2.5s buck tooth (teeth?) 

As far as the recovery gear, where is a good place to learn about that?  Again, I have no idea what I'm doing, yet.  If you or anyone could point me in the direction of where to get started I could drastically reduce the number of stupid and redundant questions. 

-Snatch Strap <ARB/Smittybuilt/etc.>

-recovery trail hitch <Smittybuilt>

those two will help you get out of just about any trouble you might find yourself in; I used amazon, but if you can afford it, local places like Off Road Performance Parts (local vendor) or Rugged Rocks (another local vendor) will have most if not all of that stuff

just keep asking and people will help; this is the most helpful group of people I have ever encountered.....even if they're a little....um.....strange.......*see GHOSTX and his affinity for the color purple*  ;)

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
Welcome from Aliso Viejo!! Amytime you want to ride, let me know.
I love it when a plan comes together

Loki

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:43:34 PM »
Welcome to the club  ;D

Odinson

• 4wd Pts: 6
  • 2009 Xterra 4x4
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:47:15 PM »
Hail from Culver City! Got my X about six months ago - first 4x4 as well. I've been nothing but impressed with Nissan's four wheel drive system so far. Very capable, and with those mods you'll be conquering mountains soon. And SCCX have all been extremely helpful along the way. ;D I'm sure I'll catch ya on the trails soon. Congrats on the new Xterra!
- "Let us live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
Welcome from Orange.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

steve c

• 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes! 

Question.  Should I continue to post my xterra related questions in my welcome thread? 
What is the protocol on SCCX?

Also, (lol more questions) where does everyone have large items shipped?  I have a UPS store mailbox but I don't believe they will accept larger items.  Bumpers, sliders, roof racks, tires, lift kits ect. 
Steve - KK6OFL

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
Here's what I think;

poke around; check out other's build threads, check out the different forums....we're much nicer here than on TNX, but that site also has us dominated as far as info goes; we're much more social w/ a side of info...

Can't help ya with the shipping stuff; a shop you regularly use might be one suggestion...

And don't be afraid to ask anything; there's no such thing as a dumb question, and I'd say 90% of whatever you're going to ask has already been asked and we're happy to help!!

-Christiaan

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »
Welcome from Pasadena.
     The people you buy from will ship to a hub near you. It could be a FedEx, UPS or Saia hub. You tell them where you live, they'll ship it near you.
      As far as a CB goes, I run a Uniden 520 and a Lil Wil antenna. This setup has served me well years.
      Sliders- take a look at white-knuckleoffroad.com. John builds them quick and he's in AppleValley.
      This is a nice group to roll with. You'll find a small group of guys willing to do most terrain. From crazy nasty trails to scenic fire roads.

Adio.

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »
What a coincidence, I live in Anaheim Hills and have a 2011 S 4x4. Everytime I'm on the road I'm always looking out for other Xterras.