Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Hey guys!  (Read 12811 times)

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
Hey guys!
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »
Marshann (xterrah) here.  I ran across Don (Goldfish) today and Oz a while back.  It reminded me of how much I miss being a part of the club.  I work in the evenings so those early morning meet times became too tough.  I ended up bowing out of the club because I am better on the trail than I am on the boards.  I still work in the evenings but now get off earlier than before.  Instead of hitting the trails on 3-4 hours sleep it will be more like 5-6 hours, which is more doable. 

February is historically the start of the active time of the club and I have been working hard toward getting my vehicle in order so I can join the Xcursions.  I just got my 100k maintenance done (a little early) so I am mostly in good shape  However, one of the main reasons for not hitting the trails with you guys is backspacing issues.  I recently traded my Rockcrawler 16s for AR767s, 33 x 10.5 x 15.  I really thought that would do the trick.  But if I turn my wheel all the way it rubs, even with a 3" SL, the TBs cranked all the way, and lots of trimming done.  I suppose it's time to get the sawzall out, although I am not sure if that will do the trick.  I am also waiting on an idler arm and some TRE bushings from Calmini and am trying to locate some polyurethane front sway bar bushings, but those are minor things.  I love talking shop even if I am not that knowledgeable!

This is not an official "I'm back" post because I would rather participate in runs and then you will know I am back.  But I wanted to at least send a shout out to Don who I saw today and belatedly to Oz.  As Fred would say

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
Re: Hey guys!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
Hey Marshann!  Good to hear from you.

Good to hear the X is getting shipshape.  Part of the big problem with front tire clearance is wheel backspacing, but there are ways to trim away metal and still have it look decent.  But bear in mind it still might rub the lower control arms, on mine the bolts in the back of the LCAs are super shiny.  If it might help, I can snap a pic of what/where I cut (both inner metal lip behind the black plastic and the outer fender, which is super easy to reshape a lip into so it has strength and doesn't look like a hack job.  Gained me plenty of clearance for 33s with no body lift.

As far as the poly sway bar bushings, I found them at Pep Boys for cheap. If you get the ones with the bolts and spacers, don't go too long or they'll smack the LCA when you droop it out.

Good times indeed!
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:05 AM »
Mod Day for Marshann?
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:29 AM »
Marshann (xterrah) here.  I ran across Don (Goldfish) today and Oz a while back. 

[ snipped for brevity ]

This is not an official "I'm back" post because I would rather participate in runs and then you will know I am back.  But I wanted to at least send a shout out to Don who I saw today and belatedly to Oz.  As Fred would say

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
Welcome back.  I don't know if we've met, unless maybe that was you on the huge Bradshaw Trail run a fews years back, and had large black dog with you.

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »
Glad to see you here. It is such a rarity to see a modified Xterra that I almost crashed into the parking arm thingy when you pulled up. You have one of the nicest first gens I have ever seen. If one of your co workers tells you some guy was eye balling your truck, don't worry it will probably be me. Hope to see you on an xcurrsion some time.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

Kyle J. Thompson

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
I have to talk to Jason still. But a most is in the works....

RockinX

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
If it might help, I can snap a pic of what/where I cut (both inner metal lip behind the black plastic and the outer fender, which is super easy to reshape a lip into so it has strength and doesn't look like a hack job. 

As far as the poly sway bar bushings, I found them at Pep Boys for cheap. If you get the ones with the bolts and spacers, don't go too long or they'll smack the LCA when you droop it out.

Hi Bobby!  If you could post a picture of what and where you cut, that would be great!  I mean, like super great!  I have had backspacing issues for way too long.  I have no problem if it still rubs and can deal with that.  Just anything but having to put the stock wheels back on. 

Haha, I was told when I got my recent service done that I would need to get the sway bar bushings from Calmini.  Calmini said they are not a part of their suspension kit.  Summit Racing said I needed to give them the diameter of the sway bar, and the droop dimension.  I got those measurements and when I called back, Spencer in his usual dour manner, said he needed more measurements but whatever he sent me probably wouldn't fit anyways.  I saw your message earlier this morning and quickly ran out to Pep Boys before work.  The guy checked out my vehicle, went to a shelf, handed me the bushings and said here you go.  I can't believe it was that simple.  He said it looked like I only needed the bushings since they were squashed.  You really helped me out big time with the backspacing and bushing problems.  I really, really appreciate it!

RockinX

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »
Mod Day for Marshann?

Hi Mitch.  Wow, it's seems like a really long time since I've seen you.  It looks like I just missed a mod day and I sure could have kept them busy.  Preparing to get back on the trail feels like when I first started moding my truck.  It is kind of fun and exciting.  I just got a winch and the lo pro front and rear light bars.  I also recently replaced my upper control arm bushings and fitted them with some zerk fittings.  Seems strange driving around without any squeaks, moans and groans.  I hope to get everything squared away soon and look forward to seeing you out on the trail again.

RockinX

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:03 PM »
Hey are you the gal that I accosted in Target's PL? Hope I didn't scare you!

Yup, that was me.  I think I did give you a funny look when you first stopped me.  But as soon as you said the word Xterra, I broke into a big smile.  I had to drive around for a while until I was able to park near your truck.  Fortunately I wasn't right next to you because mine would have looked totally stock in comparison to yours.  Yours is a beast! 

RockinX

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »
Welcome back.  I don't know if we've met, unless maybe that was you on the huge Bradshaw Trail run a few years back, and had large black dog with you.

That was a great run!  Even the night climb up and back down the hill of doom was a blast.  That was the first trip that my dog (Ruger) went on with the club.  He did okay, although he had a tendency to get a little too friendly with the other dogs.  He's a big boy at 138 lbs.  I think that was even his first time sleeping in a tent.  Here is a picture of him getting in the wrong X.  I suppose to a dog they all look the same.  I got a ramp for him this week because it is getting harder for him to jump into the truck after a day of chasing rabbits.  I haven't tried it out yet to see if he will use it, but if he has a choice of staying home or going somewhere fun, I think he will go for it.

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
We'll have to do that Bradshaw Trail run again this year, it is a great trip.  Here's a shot of Ruger that I took on that trip - really a nice dog.

By the way, is that your SmugMug site at the bottom of your post? There are some great shots in there.

RockinX

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »
Glad to see you here. It is such a rarity to see a modified Xterra that I almost crashed into the parking arm thingy when you pulled up. You have one of the nicest first gens I have ever seen. If one of your co workers tells you some guy was eye balling your truck, don't worry it will probably be me. Hope to see you on an xcursion some time.

That was quite a surprise running across a SCCX member.... and of all places, in the loading dock parking entrance of where I work.  I enter there because my vehicle is too high to go in the normal entrances.  Eh, I've seen a lot of nicer first gens than mine.  I guess they are getting more scarce now that they've run their course or people have traded in for a newer model.  But it really feels good you saying so.  I hope to have my truck ready in the event you are able to set up a Big Bear run.  I called Calmini today to find out when I should expect the idler arm I ordered.  They said in about 3-4 weeks.  That's the same thing they told me two weeks ago.  Ah well.  They also said it wouldn't be safe to abuse my X until I get that replaced.  But I suspect the timing will work out fine.

I hope I didn't make everyone crazy with all these posts.  I probably should have combined them into one but you know .... got to get my post count up.   ;D

RockinX

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:26 PM »
We'll have to do that Bradshaw Trail run again this year, it is a great trip.  Here's a shot of Ruger that I took on that trip - really a nice dog.

By the way, is that your SmugMug site at the bottom of your post? There are some great shots in there.

Thanks for the picture or Ruger!  Yes, those are pictures I took a while ago.  I just added another link in my signature to my fototime site.  Fred (XterracerX) had put in comments on those pics for me.  I started transferring them over to my other account, but it is very time consuming.  I had more fun reading what he had to say than looking at the pictures.  He's got great humor.

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
OMG... MARSHANN!!! Where have you been all my life?!?!?! Hahaha! Welcome back!!!

Look at you sounding all technical with all these bushing measurements and backspacing and other stuff... quite impressive! I'm still trying to figure out which button to press to lock and unlock my Xterra since the image has rubbed off from years of use and abuse... LOL!

We definitely have to have another meet and greet... or wheel and deal... or meet at Hooters or something. We have a lot of catching up to do Ms. Costco Lady!

Definitely good times! And more to follow!
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!