Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Xterra Camping Kitchen Ideas  (Read 24972 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Xterra Camping Kitchen Ideas
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
Okay guys and gals...I am looking to outfit my camp kitchen set up a little better.

I have a Coleman white gas stove that I really like, and a nice coffee pot for boiling water and french press for coffee.

My questions are:

-What type of table set up do you use for your stoves?  Folding table from Costco is where I am headed, but I have also looked at Cabelas camp kitchen for this.  Thoughts?

-What type of pans/skillets/flat skillets do you use/have you purchased for cooking, (basic breakfast/dinner options) and what do you like/dislike about your stuff?

-What type of travel barbecues do you use/like and why?

-How do you pack your gear for the most rattle free/safest logistical packing method?

Thanks in advance!

John/GhostX
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
Re: Xterra Camping Kitchen Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »
I recently got this MSR cooking set. Only used it twice and so far so good.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Quick-System-Cook-Set/dp/B008NOP21C/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1365096273&sr=8-15&keywords=msr+cooking

When I pack I try and stuff sleeping bag into plastic tub if I can, that seems to limit movement inside some of camping supplies. The problem area for me is always the cooler, especially if I have glass bottle beers. Usually second day ice has started to melt and stuff moves around a little more.

For table, I just have an aluminum Coleman table. It's non folding and only about 3 feet long, maybe a bit shorter.

Odinson

• 4wd Pts: 6
  • 2009 Xterra 4x4
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
I was well into backpacking before off roading, so I've always been a heavy advocate for JetBoil systems. They'll boil a couple cups of water in mere minutes, or sustain a great flame for cooking on cast iron.

http://www.amazon.com/Jetboil-1824329-JetBoil-Flash-CookingSystem/dp/B004R9YT9S/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1365109270&sr=1-1&keywords=jetboil

The water boiler on the top comes off and lets it become a standard stove. Still small & extremely reliable - I've used these things in rain, snow and once even dropped it in the river - left it in the sun to dry, cooked on it an hour later.

Otherwise, fires & cast iron cookware! I honestly keep all mine as it sits, in my backpacking pack, snug and safe from flying into / cracking one of my windows.

Having a card table / folding table is always a great plus. May even fit on the roof.  ::)
- "Let us live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
Jetboils are amazing; they're small, but wow they work so well...especially for hiking/backpacking...when you don't have much room

glamisdude72000

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
This is what I have in the way of cooking supplies: http://www.amazon.com/GSI-44216-Outdoors-Bugaboo-Camper/dp/B001LF3HYY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365186014&sr=8-2&keywords=gsi+bugaboo
Works great so far, used it about 4 times now and works great if your cooking for a group of people. Although the wash basin is pretty small for trying to wash the largest pot....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:47:09 PM by glamisdude72000 »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »
Guys...thanks for all the feedback on this.

Much appreciated with personal experiences. Keep em' coming...I'd like to use this thread as a tool to direct new site members to and have as a great search destination.

I use mostly paper/plastic products for dining options when camping.  Easier cleanup and saves on water hassles.

I am looking at a couple of folding tables for the stove/prep area.  Hardrock had a nice Coleman fold up unit that I liked.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 02:19:30 AM »
The Lifetime Tailgate Table - 5'6" long and comes with a heavy-duty grill rack.  $59.98 + tax.

Sam's Club

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:03:13 AM »
The Lifetime Tailgate Table - 5'6" long and comes with a heavy-duty grill rack.  $59.98 + tax.

Sam's Club

Hm.  Like minds Marshann.   That is exactly what I picked up for Superstition Mountain.  Thing I liked about this table was how flat it folds up.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »
when i roll minimalist, i rock a biolite campstove with grill attachment with a GSI pinnacle dualist cookset.
great for 2 people and the stove burns anything you can find like sticks and twigs. charges phones too :D

for big camps i have an rei camp kitchen with a 2 burner propane stove/oven in addition to a campfire grate.   16" dutch oven and cast iron cookware for coal cooking and steel for the stove/oven.
most of the time for the big camps, we will bag up meals so cooking is easy and streamlined, all ingredients in a single bag for single meal. pull out a bag, cook it up.

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »
For  trips with the fam. We need a kitchen.
http://amzn.com/B00363WZSS

This is a life saver. Grill and stove. I run an older version, but it's similar.
http://amzn.com/B000BPEE4M

I also have a table like this. Rolls up and packs like a camp chair.
http://amzn.com/B001V7B2OY

We wash and reuse all dishes. Cuts on waist and the amount of stuff we carry.
http://amzn.com/B0042BZGV6

We carry water in a Jerry can and fill bottles to generate less trash.
http://amzn.com/B001IV8IYA
     We can wash dishes and drink with this much.

For longer camping trips, we'll carry an EZ-Up and a large rug to set up outside our tent. Nothing beats walking out of your tent bare foot and sitting on your chair.

desertman93555

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 06:52:13 PM »
I believe in K.I.S.S. my camp kitchen consists of a cast iron skillet paper plates plastic silverware cooking grates a grill fork and tongs i use 2 liter bottles for water and a wicked coleman extreme cooler it kept ice from Kansas to California a week long trip moving was in the back of the moving truck the whole trip

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 10:14:01 AM »
I believe in K.I.S.S. my camp kitchen consists of a cast iron skillet paper plates plastic silverware cooking grates a grill fork and tongs i use 2 liter bottles for water and a wicked coleman extreme cooler it kept ice from Kansas to California a week long trip moving was in the back of the moving truck the whole trip

Sounds good...personally, we've moved away from the paper plate/plasticware mode of camp consumption.

We bought a nice set of MSR plates and a few sporks, as well as a camp dishwashing station. 

With appropriate water rationing, this has proven to lighten our load of trash on the way out of camp.  I like this option more and more as we camp in places that won't take a huge bag of trash on disposal. 

It does take a little more time washing and drying, but so far we pack in and trash out a lot less stuff.
KD6DCI

desertman93555

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 07:53:26 PM »
yeah but i always camp in places where i can have a fire so all paper trash gets burned and if anything i have cheap dollar store plastic plates for my kids that i can take i try to pack in minimally as much as possible so as to have room if i end up picking up trash from others as i usually do find some way too many irresponsible people out there. Although i have not been out camping with my X yet money has been tight with making payments on it just finally getting all caught up on things after trading in our moneypit windstar for this X