Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: JustRuns - Sunday October 21, 2018 - EAGLE MOUNTAIN OLD RAILROAD TRESTLE  (Read 2495 times)

zaphos

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
We get a two-fer this weekend. I have a conflict Saturday but I am going to try and make this one...

Red Canyon - Summit Road and Bradshaw Trail- Salt Creek Railroad Trestle

Most of the old railroad line has been removed recently and this may be the last chance to see this historic structure before it is demolished (500 foot long, 50 foot tall railroad trestle).

Difficulty Rating 1+ and 2  Click Here   www.justruns.com/files/dif.htm    Day time run suitable for any 4x4 vehicle: a lot of sandy areas, a few steep hills, some tight spots and some rough/rocky road sections.

Meet at TA Travel Center at I-10 and Dillon 46155 Dillon Rd, Coachella, CA 92236. There is a restaurant at this location.

Meet Time: 9 AM 

Departure Time: 9:15 AM

(Distance/Time): 36 miles on I-10 and 60+ miles on trial. Approx. 7 hours.

Communication Ham Radio Required- Frequency 146.550

Lunch on the Trail

Please arrive On Time with full fuel tanks

Participants need to have all the Required Equipment:

Click Here       www.justruns.com/files/reqeq.htm

Description: The Summit Road follows the route of the old Eagle Mountain Rail Road and Salt Creek between the Orocopia and Chuckwalla Mountains to the Bradshaw Trail. We take a spur to the old Orocopia mine and back to the Bradshaw Trail to the old Eagle Mountain Railroad Trestle. Return route will be Red Canyon back to I-10.

Limited to 15 vehicles and then a wail list.

RSVP to Scott C.:

ScottDesert at gmail dot com

The Eagle Mountain Railroad, built by Kaiser Steel Corporation, is a 51-mile branch line that serves the iron mines in and around Eagle Mountain, near California's Salton Sea. It branches from the Union Pacific's transcontinental route (ex-Southern Pacific) near Niland, CA, at a location named "Ferrum", at which a small 5-track staging yard and turning wye are also located.

Construction on the line started in August of 1947 and was completed the following year. At first, the iron mines produce great quantities of iron ore, all of which were hauled away in Southern Pacific gondolas twice daily. As demand for the iron ore declined, so did the freight traffic, until the 1980s, when the line saw only one train a week. The last revenue train ran over the rails in 1986.

The railroad right of way has reverted back to BLM.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/justruns/conversations/messages/14157

Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ