Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CraigBos - 2014 Pro-4X - Nessie  (Read 11672 times)

CraigBos

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
CraigBos - 2014 Pro-4X - Nessie
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
Joined SCCX:  11 August 2017
Username:  CraigBos
Year:  2014
Make:  Nissan
Model: Xterra
Trim:  Pro-4X
Color:  Silver
Mods:
  • Hood struts from clixyautoparts on eBay
  • Pioneer AVH-2330NEX head unit (with good hookup to Rockford Fosgate amp and subwoofer, factory steering wheel controls, rear camera, aux port, and USB)
  • Kenwood TM-281 2 meter mobile ham radio
  • Anderson Power Pole 12V power pigtail from behind the front grill (mainly for the air compressor)
  • Not really a mod, but I replaced the factory battery with a Bosch platinum AGP (for better deep cycle performance)
  • Update 12 Sep 2017:  P&P Engineering rear recovery points, front recovery points on order
  • Update 16 Sep 2017:  Dezert Runner Offroad rock sliders
  • Update 7 Nov 2017:  Gobi ladder, thanks beedee for instigating the group puy and RickRong for the tip
  • Upgraded liftgate struts, 175 lb. models like in this how-to.
  • Required equipment:  Recovery strap (not snatch strap, alas), shackles, ARB knockoff deflator, Viair 88P air compressor, fire extinguisher
  • Pending:  Tires (factory rubber for as long as it lasts, then, ???)

Comments:  Overall, I'm looking to make my Xterra safe and capable for a stock vehicle.  Also, Mrs. CraigBos named the vehicle Nessie.  Some women you just can't reason with.

Photos: 

Hood struts.  These went in easy.  So convenient!

Head unit.  Sounds great.  It was somewhat PITA to get in and working right.  I'll gather info and post separately some day, maybe.  UPDATE:  Saga posted here.

Two meter mobile.  I did a trunk lip mount on the hood and a fairly small antenna.  Got it's maiden workout today going up Otay.  Worked well.

Power pigtail out the front, so I don't have to pop the hood to air up.

Battery.  AGP technology, for hopefully better deep cycle performance.  And a four year replacement deal out of Pep Boys.

Rear recovery points from P&P Engineering.  I wasn't too happy with their powder coat finish, but they are solid little beasties.

Dezert Runner Offroad rock sliders.  Not strong enough to drop right on top of a rock, but OK to take minor hits and scrapes.

Gobi ladder.

How I'm stowing some of the required equipment.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:32:08 PM by CraigBos »
K6BOS - Craig

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: CraigBos - 2014 Pro-4X - Nessie
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
Nice build thread...and recovery/air kit.

Well done sir.  8)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
Very clean Craig, and I like the 2 meter (I have the exact same one) ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
Great build thread. I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on the growth of your rig. :)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
I was gonna comment as well about that 2M, super nice little radio....
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
I'd be interested in the radio install, I have an older pioneer from the Appradio days which is no longer supported in Android so I would be interested in upgrading to a new Android Auto head unit.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:20:54 PM »
Wow, guys, thanks.  You're too kind.

I was gonna comment as well about that 2M, super nice little radio....

Yep, love how solid the thing looks and feels.  The mic is good and the radio works well, even with the little antenna.  Icom has a similar unit for a similar price.  So I asked the HRO guy, what is there to choose between the two units.  He says, well the off-road guys tend to pick the Kenwood because it has a more rugged mic.  Sold.

Very clean Craig, and I like the 2 meter (I have the exact same one) ;)

I did notice that, while slyly eyeing your rig.  :)
K6BOS - Craig

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
I'd be interested in the radio install, I have an older pioneer from the Appradio days which is no longer supported in Android so I would be interested in upgrading to a new Android Auto head unit.

OK, yeah.  My main issue was conflicting or missing info as to which adapter harnesses are compatible.  I ended up adding pins to one of the connectors to get the steering wheel controller to work simultaneously with the backup camera and aux port.  Pretty sure the solution will be unique to Pro-4X and/or Rockford Fosgate models.

If only it were this simple:

I'll do a post.  Promise.
K6BOS - Craig

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
P&P Engineering rear recovery points
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:04 AM »
Well my P&P Engineering rear recovery points came in today.  I know there are some sets of similar items floating around from a prior group buy.  But I already had these on order when I heard about the group buy ones.  Alas.

Took about 2.5 hours for this novice to get them in. 

The powdercoat was pretty banged up when I unpacked them from the box, so that didn't make me happy.  Also, the templates for cutting the holes in the bumper were inexact.  And the replacement bolts were about .002" larger outside diameter than stock (but same thread pitch).  This made it quite worrisome getting them in.  I'm still not sure if I've got one of them crossthreaded.

However, I'm pleased with how they came out.  The weatherstripping makes for a very clean look.

What came in the box (and the instructions and template I printed), weather stripping not pictured:

Left side bumper before:

Where the bumper mounts to the frame.  These recovery points only use two bolts, so the third bolt kept the bumper in place throughout.

Marking where the hole (supposedly) goes:

Drilling corners, and cutting the hole:

Peekaboo bumper bolts:

Working through fit checking, I found that I needed to expand the right side of the hole quite a bit.  This was an inconvenience, but not a problem.

I also had a lot of trouble threading the new bolts into the frame.  I found the new bolts are .002" larger in outer diameter, but have the same thread pitch. 

I figured my anxiety was due to lack of experience and pressed on.

Fit check complete!

The gaps look pretty terrible, but the weather stripping compensates nicely:

The right side was similar to the left, and voila, done!

Shackles on, ready for action:

Slightly more subtle, for suburbia:

Obligatory shot of sparks flying:

Glad that's done.  I don't actually care much for cutting holes in my cars, turns out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:18:04 AM by CraigBos »
K6BOS - Craig

Celt

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 04:37:21 AM »
Prior to getting a completely new rear bumper I had very similar recovery points. I believe mine had room for all three bolts but I can't remember who made them. They worked out really nicely. I like to take a small zip tie and thread it through the screw and the shackle so they don't work themselves out over time. Looks like you did a good job installing them.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:13 AM »
Nice write up and photos Craig!  :)

Love the sparky shots...ACTION.  :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

richie

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 07 Xterra
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
I would remove the split spring washer from those new grade 8 bolts. They aren't being used properly for this application. The Clamping load isnt whats taking the load when recovering your vehicle its the sheer load of the surface area on the bolt. I study mechanical engineering. All that split washer is doing is increasing the chance of failure. Plus in industry you'll hear people say split washers do Exactly nothing.

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »
I would remove the split spring washer from those new grade 8 bolts.

Thanks for that -- I'll consider it.  But let me tell you, I have no desire to take those bolts out again!
K6BOS - Craig

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
Dezert Runner Offroad rock sliders
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »
Today I went up to Yucaipa to pick up my rock sliders from Nathan at Dezert Runner Offroad.  So excited!

Nathan is a really nice guy, great to spend a few minutes talking with.  And the sliders came out looking great.

The sliders come with required mounting hardware. 

The old step rails weigh just under 12 lb. each, and the sliders weigh just over 31 lb. each.  So we're adding about 40 lb to the vehicle.

Hi, Luke!

The sliders mount through existing holes in the frame rails, with one bolt toward the top of the mounting flange and a backing plate on the opposite side of the frame rail.

Most of the mounting points bolted right up, but the drivers side rear was tougher.  There is little clearance between the gas tank and the frame rail, so Nathan welds a nut directly into the backing plate.  It was pretty tricky for me and Luke to get that bolt threaded in, but we got there without any audible cursing.

From left to right, you're looking at gas tank - backing plate with nut welded in - frame rail.

Done!

The sliders look great on the vehicle, and feel solid.  However, when I attempted to jack the vehicle by one of the sliders, it started to flex up toward the rocker panel in a way I don't like.  I believe this is due to the way they are mounted with a single bolt at the top of the plate.  I'm not terribly concerned about this, since I don't ever intend to take any significant risk of dropping the vehicle hard on a rock. 

I may consider ways to beef the attachment up at some point.

Overall, the sliders are stronger and more functional than the factory step rails, and they look much better. 

K6BOS - Craig

Celt

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »
I have mine welded on so I do not have to worry about anything ever coming loose. I was going to suggest you posting up for some upcoming winter desert runs and I'd be more than happy to assist you in "testing" those sliders out to make sure they meet your standards.