Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Area info  (Read 3696 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Area info
« on: December 11, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
 I was curious if anyone has had experience wheeling in the areas north of Salton City to the west of the Salton Sea. That area seems really large especially going north and skirting around west of the Rez that's out there. It looks like there might be a lot of places to get away from the crowds headed into the SVRA and Truckhaven areas.
Isaiah 6:8

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
Re: Area info
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
Are you talking Santa Rosa wilderness or just below (south)?
G.B.H.

Celt

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 07:54:18 PM »
Are you talking Santa Rosa wilderness or just below (south)?

Yes, that entire area and a bit north.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 08:35:39 PM »
Santa Rosa is pretty cool. It’s mountainous and overlooks the desert. There are campsites on the main trail marked with yellow posts and are free but if you go off on some of the other trails you can find some very solitary sites. We found one that was about half an hour drive through some dense brush and medium 4wding. Very beautiful spot. Improv rock fire ring and a two to three vehicle clearing/camp. Def worth checking out.
G.B.H.

Celt

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
Santa Rosa is pretty cool. It’s mountainous and overlooks the desert. There are campsites on the main trail marked with yellow posts and are free but if you go off on some of the other trails you can find some very solitary sites. We found one that was about half an hour drive through some dense brush and medium 4wding. Very beautiful spot. Improv rock fire ring and a two to three vehicle clearing/camp. Def worth checking out.

What's the best way to get into these areas or are there maps you find useful? Since you mentioned yellow post I assume it's all State Park land? I'm a little embarrassed saying I've never spent any time in those areas and know nothing of them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:10:27 PM by Celt »

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
This is a shot of the camp we found. I was told that there is only one way in to Santa Rosa but I have my doubts. We went up the Santa Rosa Truck trail (don't know the # off the top of my head) Fairly easy 2wd if the weather is good but faster and safer in 4wd. I could see it getting slick and rutted in the rain or even snow when you get near the top. Depending on how fast you drive it's about a half hour to 45 minute drive to the first yellow post. Peak has some cool camp spots (about another 15 minute drive from the first yellow post) but tend to be taken and you won't get the solitude you are seeking. There are lots of little side trails that lead to remote camp spots. Most people stick to the main yellow posts. We went on a weekend and none of the remote spots were occupied and some were a fun exploration to get to. I would say there was no one within at least a mile of the campsite pictured and as I mentioned it was a weekend. Weekday you might have the whole mountain mostly to yourself except for the coveted peak spots.
G.B.H.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
I guess my photo files are not compatible. It won't let me share.
G.B.H.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 12:01:31 PM »
Picture
G.B.H.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
I found an awkward way to post the pictures.
G.B.H.

Celt

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:51 PM »
Thanks a lot for the write up. I would like to try and get into those areas this winter for some camping. It's amazing the areas I still have not seen that are right here in our back yard.