Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Day Drive Dec 7th into the lower Big Bear mountains  (Read 22962 times)

xperienced

• 4wd Pts: 0
  • Glamis wall ride- all stock
Day Drive Dec 7th into the lower Big Bear mountains
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:40:45 PM »
This excursion is intended for anyone interested in a LA / SB area day drive.[/size]

I am planning on rompin a trail located off Highway 38 (Mill Creek Road) just outside of Mentone and Yukaipa.  Its a rutted out fire road with spectacular views of LA, SB, and the back of 7 Oaks Dam.  There are steep inclines with rocks and small rainwater runoff streams at the lower section of the trail.

I am very familiar with the trail and have done it numerous times.  When dry, it is 2wd accessible but I DO NOT recommend it.  I drove the trail 3 weeks ago on a solo night excursion with my girlfriend and had a blast looking at the stars.  There might be snow on the ground at higher elevations so 4x4 is a must.  A California Adventure Pass is required for the trail ($30 annual, $5 a day) but there is no gate or check point.  I have never been stopped and checked for a pass. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/

When: December 7th at 9:00 am.

Meeting Spot: The Forest Service Station at the intersection of Mill Creek Road (Highway 38) and Bryant Street (34 04' 45" N, 117 02' 50" W) at 9:00 am. Passes can be purchased at the station, but please check the hours of operation.

Trip: Head up Highway 38 for about 4 miles on pavement and then hit the dirt (34 06' 06" N, 117 01' 25" W) at Warm Spring Truck Road.  We will follow Warm Springs up the hill past Morton Ridge Trail (gate always closed) and continue straight through the clearing onto Thomas Hunting Ground Trail.

At the "T" (34 07' 24" N, 117 02' 04" W) we will turn left onto Crystal Creek Heliport Access Road and have lunch at the end.  This is where you can see the back of 7 Oaks Dam, LA, SB, and even the Pacific on a clear day. 

After lunch, we will turn around on Crystal Creek and follow Angelus Oaks Line until it dumps out on Highway 38 at the Country Store (34 09' N, 116 58' 50" W.

The entire trail should take about 4 hours of driving. 

What to Bring: Water, Food, plenty of blankets and warm clothes, chains (if you have them), air compressor (if you are going to air down), tools, spare tire, and radio.  As always, we will use the Channel of the month (12 for Dec) and subchannel 24. 

Notes: Heavy snow/rain will extend the drive or even cancel it.  I will check weather conditions and if there are any closed trails.  The beginning and end of the drive will be through burnt areas of the Big Bear Mountains.  Heavy moisture may cause landslides resulting from a lack of vegitation and the weight of a vehicle. 

If anyone is skeptical, we can drive Holcomb Valley but that is at a higher elevation and requires a much longer drive to get there.  Let me know if you are interested.

Google Maps is the easiest way to reference the trails.

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
Re: Day Drive Dec 7th into the lower Big Bear mountains
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
This excursion is intended for anyone interested in a LA / SB area day drive.[/size]

I am planning on rompin a trail located off Highway 38 (Mill Creek Road)

I am totally there man!

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »
Hey Gavin, I just told the wife about this and she said "sounds like fun". I will check the calendar and let you know.
Don
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

strikedistance

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel 4x4
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »
Sorry i didn't email you back. Ill have to get back to you on this run but it sounds fun.

Goldfish

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:46:40 PM »
In less the weather takes a turn for the worst we are IN. Keep us posted if anything changes.
Don

chad

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »
Sunday December 7, I am there ;D weather permitting >:(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:53:12 PM by chad »
Hey don't get me wrong or anything, I have been in the outdoors but... is it always this dusty????

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 01:11:14 AM »
I wish I could join you on this one... 

Maybe, if plans change.
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

Goldfish

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 06:58:20 PM »
Gavin, when I input the cordinates you gave into Google Earth search it comes up different than what is on your directions. It seems like your cordinates are missing some digits????
Don

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »
Gavin, when I input the cordinates you gave into Google Earth search it comes up different than what is on your directions. It seems like your cordinates are missing some digits????

Hereya go dude: Map

r6ryder

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 03:33:41 AM »
This sounds like fun.  I would love to join but I'm worried about slowing you guys down.  My off-road experience is limited to Cleghorn and Sugarpine trails in Wrightwood, would I be ok to join you guys?

Bobby

2008 S 4x4
with some Destination MTs

xperienced

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46:50 AM »
I was using Google earth with the coordinates.  Try to copy and paste them from my first post into the Search "Fly To" area field for Google Earth.

Bobby- I drove 25% of the trail a few weeks ago in a stock gen one X.  I have not driven the Cleghorn trails, but expect those to be very similar.  The muddy area will have less inclines and will be rutted out with tracks.  You can see from my first post the end of the trail follows the ridge.  This is the area of convern because ground clearance and water.  If my stock X can do it, your gen 2 can do it as well.  It depends on how comfortable you are with driving it and how far you want to push it.  The forestry department monitors the roads occasionally.

Goldfish

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. Oz, look forward to meeting you and seeing your legendary machine in person. Ryder, this will be only my second time out so don't worry about holding anyone up.
Don

chad

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 09:23:46 AM »
Are we still on this weekend?
My son Came down with a cold I'm not sure if i could make it.
could some one post a caontact number so i could let you know?
Hey don't get me wrong or anything, I have been in the outdoors but... is it always this dusty????

xperienced

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »
Chad, we are still on for the weekend drive.  I checked the weather (for Angelus Oaks) and there is a 10% chance of parcipitation for Sunday.  This is down from a 40% prediction listed last week.

Here is the link for day passes http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/

Oz, I am also looking forward to seeing your rig.
Bobby, this would be a good trip to see what your X can do.  I hope to see you there.

If we get done early, there are a few more play grounds (rompin areas) located between highway 38 and the 10 freeway.  Both are in Yukaipa and are rutted out steep hill climbs.  Coordinates: 34 02' 17.51" N, 117 06' 50.24" W  ;  34 01' 56.73" N, 117 07' 37.04" W.  This is where I blew up a 12 bolt chevy rearend with limited slip. (Don't tell my dad  :-[)

I will see all of you bright and early Sunday morning.  Please remember to bring water, food, blankets, tools, a radio, and a full size spare tire. 

chad

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »
i'm in unless my son still has a cold.
please post or pm me a contact number in case i am not going or i am running late