Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Rear swing arm bumper  (Read 7740 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Rear swing arm bumper
« on: November 28, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
OK so my question, is to all you aftermarket bumper owners.

Pros vs Cons

1: Single swing arm tire mount w/gas rack

2: Dual swing arm tire mount w/gas rack

3:Gas rack , No rack, there is always the roof

Thank you for your time >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
Re: Rear swing arm bumper
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
Single swing. With gas can.. Still need to get mine welded.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »
Buy maxterra.  Whatever he will make you.

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »
My vote is the single swing arm with two fuel holders. Some disadvantages are depending upon your tire size there will be more limited rear view so you will have to rely more on your side mirrors. Weighted down with the tire and fuel cans increases the weight in the back so there is some additional sway on the roadways depending upon your specific suspension setup. You may wish to get a tire cover to help protect the tire from being stationary and having the sun damage it.

The pro's are you can easily stow an oversized tire that's a lot more accessible than underneath. It also opens up some more travel space for obstacles because the tire isn't there any longer. It's easy to get the tire on/off if you need to change them vs. crawling under the X. Having the extra fuel stored outside is always a plus for me because I do not like fuels inside the vehicle at all if I can help it. You can use one for fuel and the other for water and they will be tied down securely. You won't have to worry about them flopping all over the place and they are very easy to re-fuel in the holders. Some of the double swing out arms look nice to me but I prefer the single arm simply because it's less moving parts if nothing else.  There are a lot of ideas out there and what you can do is limited to your own mind. I'm really happy I went with a fabricator and built it up from scratch. Just make sure the fuel holders are spaced properly enough apart to accommodate the largest tire you can foresee yourself running or you will have to keep it aired down and stuffed in there without modifications. It's also much easier to run a Trasharoo and keep your smelly trash out of your vehicle.
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
IMO Jay...

-Mount Roto Pax gas cans on your roof rack, save the weight on the rear bumper for your spare tire/hi lift jack/propane mounts.

-Single swing is fine, double is nice too (but usually double the $$$), just make sure there is an option to lock the arm in the "open" position.  This helps when you are unbuttoning on uneven ground or in a parking lot and prevents "swing arm" crush of human occupants.

-As Erik mentioned, mounting your spare on the bumper does make it easier to change a flat...but, it does put a lot of weight hanging off of the rear of your rig.  Total personal preference here, but IMO, if you are changing a tire you're gonna get dirty anywhoo...whether it's hanging off the back or tucked under the rig.  One thought here, is the option to "double spare" with both areas.  More weight, but back up in the inevitable worst case scenario of a double sidewall puncture in the sticks.  Rare...but see Mojave Road Trip from 2014/LupinOneDrivesLikeIvanStewart thread.  Double sparing also approaches Chinese Trailer Land, so YMMV.  ;)

-Trasharoo is a consideration, and tire carriers make nice hangers.  Overlanding/Off Roading is like a domino effect...one mod just prepares you for another dollar sucking scenario...but you already knew that (nice suspension upgrade BTW, saw the photos  :) )

-No one talks about this in the Nissan world, but worth mentioning.  Tacomas have weaker rear frames, and many overland Taco guys weld plates to strengthen the rear frame area.  Thinking about the additional weight you are incurring...tire = 50-65 lbs. bumper = 80/100 lbs. hi lift = 30/40 lbs.  Trasharoo w/PBR cans = 20 lbs...you get the idea, it adds up quickly.  Don't even mention the upgraded leaf springs/bump stops you will need... :D :D

Hope this helps, but its probably more like a stir stick in the muddy water of your decision.  ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
Also...all of the single swings I have seen (Hefty, Schrockworks, etc.) eventually get hinge play in the bushing.  I think MAXterra solved this issue, but that is one area I would research heavily when choosing a fabricator/vendor.  Think about the open/close reps that part of the bumper gets over its lifetime, and it is easily the highest area of failure.

Talk to Motorpig77...I know he did extensive research before pulling the trigger on a double swing/fuel/tire carrier that was custom fabbed by Kenny Lauter/aka Kenny The King.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 03:16:37 PM »
Talk to Motorpig77...I know he did extensive research before pulling the trigger on a double swing/fuel/tire carrier that was custom fabbed by Kenny Lauter/aka Kenny The King.
^^This^^  ;)

My .02 :
1. Dual Swing arm w/ tire and gas- love ours, couldn't be happier with that decision
2. If you plan on both tire and gas - single swing arm is not a good option (IMO) due to weight on arm/hinge - and I'm pretty sure Maxterra only does a (gas/tire) dual swing arm for this reason.....

Pros:
*Easy access to gas and spare
*Trashroo is awesome accessory for your spare and holds more than just trash
*I like having the dual swing arm for camping - it gives more opportunities for hanging things off it when they are open
*Armor - Less damage if hit (car accident)

Con:
Additional weight = need for beefier suspension (shouldn't be an issue for you)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »
Additional cons that PainRoller didn't mention:

1) Decreased rear visibility (although Celt did mention that one)
2) Rig becoming longer overall - this can be an issue if you park in tight/short parking spaces or in a garage often
3) The "pain in the ass factor" with having to open the swing arm every time you need to get into your cargo area

In a nutshell, I can sum it up like this: you're trading everyday/street ability for overland/off-road ability. You need to decide which is more important to you, based on how you use your rig. Then you can narrow down the features/options/designs that are most important to you and choose the right bumper for your needs and budget.

Most of the time, I regret getting mine. I have "no ragrets" on my choice of brand or the build quality, despite some horror stories I've heard about previous versions of the Hefty rear swing arm bumpers. My arm and latch don't rattle at all, my tire sits at a nice height, and the bumper is solid and perfectly functional. For me, # 2 and # 3 above are the two biggest issues. Every time I'm flinging that swing arm open to grab a camera or other equipment at the scene of an incident I'm trying to shoot, or every time I can't open my hatch in a parking lot of a grocery store or in my garage because the arm can't open wide enough, or every time I get dirt and grime on my shirt from brushing up against the tire while trying to squeeze between the back of my rig and the back wall in my garage (or even worse, when it happens to my wife and she gets mad at me for it!), I regret it. But then when I'm off-roading, I love it! I love the easier access to the spare (although, thankfully I haven't had to use it), the mounting point for my trasharoo, and the overall "more serious off-roading" look it gives my rig.

Despite the fact that my rig is no longer my commuting/every-day vehicle, it's still my "work truck" when I'm shooting news stories, and I think that's when I dislike the bumper the most. The reasons I stated may not be an issue for you. And some can be overcome with a different design or features - like double arms to open easier in parking lots or tight spaces (although that also means you now need to have space on BOTH sides instead of just one, so there's even a trade-off there). I've seriously been contemplating finding a new loving home for mine and replacing it with a non tire-carrier bumper and putting my spare back underneath, so I can still have the recovery points, strength and integrated hitch of an aftermarket rear bumper without the hassle of moving a tire out of my way all the time. It may sound dumb, the trasharoo mounting to the tire is the one thing that's kept me from removing the bumper at this point.

If someone could design a bumper with an EASILY removable swing arm that would allow you to move the tire back under the rig for "everyday" use, they'd get my business in a second. As with all other reviews, YMMV.  8)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:50:43 PM by JFanaselle »

GreenAcres

• 4wd Pts: 9
    • 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 06:48:43 PM »
On a side note, with reference to the idea of filling a gas can while it is still in the rack, this is dangerous.

A static charge can build up while fueling and ignite, setting the whole thing on fire. The gas can must be placed on the ground while fueling in order to avoid this risk.

If you want a visual of how this can go wrong check out any number of youtube videos, like this

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
First off ,thank you for the awesome and detailed responses , yes my brain is mush after reading all the information
I have more to think about now,than I thought I did . before jumping the gun.
I keep thinking do I need a $1000+ Trasharoo holder.
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 11:20:34 PM »
First off ,thank you for the awesome and detailed responses , yes my brain is mush after reading all the information
I have more to think about now,than I thought I did . before jumping the gun.
I keep thinking do I need a $1000+ Trasharoo holder.

I get what you are saying Jay, in the end I'm really glad I got mine. I get in and out of my hatch all the time but I have a quick release handle that's easy to loose the swing arm and in truth don't even notice it anymore as a inconvenience. I think with a double swing arm it would be more of a PITA although they are very nice in design and function as P.R. chimed in with (She does need to post more these days...). In a perfect world I would rather have a double swing arm setup but it wouldn't work well for me. I have an automatic pin that springs into place to hold the arm open when extended which is very nice to have. I needed the extra armor in the back so that's the main reason I got the bumper fabricated. Prior to that my rear armor/sliders were two recovery hooks ran from the frame rearward and extending a little below the rear bumper. They worked very well believe it or not but I needed more coverage. The other reason is I'm on 35's and the spare won't fit below. Although I can manhandle a 35 onto the roof by myself it's not super easy since I'm something of a delicate flower. I couldn't leave it reliably mounted on the roof and it would take up too much interior room so that created new issues.

Since I wanted to have the spare 24/7 because in truth I'm more worried about a flat on our ridikillis roadways with all these contractors who refuse to secure their loads who daily dump screws, bolts and nails all over the place. One of the nicer things about the swing arm I have is the dual fuel carrier cargo rack is one piece. I can remove it at will leaving the spare where it is as it fits into the tire carrier using a 2" hitch receiver. It locks in place with a pin, if you would like on the next food truck I can put it on and show you how it works to get some ideas of what may or may not work for you. That cargo carrier works great for firewood or a cooler as I hate putting firewood inside as it always fills the inside with friendly spiders and the like. Since I get awesome fuel economy much like FrankB's touring model Prius, I like the piece of mind having the option of easily carrying 10 gallons that's not all the way up on the roof and not inside the X. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:24:57 PM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
Joe's comments resonate the most IMO.

Had the Shrockworks tire carrier for 5+ years, and the convenience vs. DD inconvenience were about 20/80.

Also...it was not the optimal ham/cb mount for the best tx/rx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
Joe's comments resonate the most IMO.

Had the Shrockworks tire carrier for 5+ years, and the convenience vs. DD inconvenience were about 20/80.

Also...it was not the optimal ham/cb mount for the best tx/rx.

That's funny you say that,
 it was Joe's comments that got me triple thinking my reasons and priorities
OBA should be the top of my list at this point 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:01:05 PM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
And then I had to go and screw with your mind. You're welcome  >:D

Just for transparency sake - I have decided that with Jay in the market for a new rear bumper, and me in the "most of the time wishing I had a non-tire carrier version" camp, it's a perfect match.  O0 I've been waiting for an opportunity to send this bumper to a nice new home, so hopefully Jay will give it the love it so desperately needs.  O0

Now to order myself a non-tire carrier bumper...  ???

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
Now I have room for the OBA tank to go , where the spare used to be

:o$$$$$$$ :o