Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Winter Mojave Rd 2019  (Read 25965 times)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Winter Mojave Rd 2019
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
With Celts out and Dale doing partial, will this open up 2 spots or only 1?

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2018, 06:27:02 PM »
With Celts out and Dale doing partial, will this open up 2 spots or only 1?

One spot.  I'll update the list this week.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »
I will take the spot if possible.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
What has the level at Afton been during past trips? This seems kind of high.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv?site_no=10263000

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »
Looks like it’s a foot higher. Usually around 3 - 3.5 ft

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 09:41:46 PM »
What has the level at Afton been during past trips? This seems kind of high.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv?site_no=10263000

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Just looked it up..it was around 4ft last year.  That's directly in the middle, I always hug the one side and have never had an issue.  Could be interesting!

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2019, 08:14:43 AM »
Just looked it up..it was around 4ft last year.  That's directly in the middle, I always hug the one side and have never had an issue.  Could be interesting!

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk
Yeah, we always stick to one side, but I don't think where we cross is exactly where the gauge is.  I've seen people go through recently and it wasn't that high.  4ft would be over the hood of many vehicles.
R. Long

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »

This was on 11/18
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2019, 08:41:13 AM »
I still don't understand why people go directly down the middle.
R. Long

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2019, 07:56:49 PM »
 If I can chime in here on some of this... Since the inception of the Winter Mojave Rd people have been super worried about the level of that water crossing. Each year we have gone through with no issues but it seems that most err on the side of caution (Smartly) and stick farther to the right side lifting the trucks up a bit. Our intakes are on the driver side and nobody has had any hydro-locking problems. The water level has been below that even on mostly stock vehicles with a comfortable level of comfort. In the winter it can get a little deeper but if you go slow with minimal wake people considering this run will be fine. If you really think about it creating a wake will help in keeping the water level lower around the engine compartment and our intakes. It also helps with some issues we can get with the electric fans.

The entire area is just a big level flood plane fed by the underground river. That area drains well above ground and would have a lot of difficulty sending enough pressure from below to make it impassable. That would come from a heavy continuous rain flooding the top soil and not from the ground water. As we experienced last year the "Not so dry Lakebed" should probably be avoided at all costs as many of us are still dealing with the aftermath and I still feel some level of responsibility to that. The water crossing is a totally different event and in my opinion shouldn't be avoided because it's a whole lot of fun at the beginning of an awesome trip. I wish all of you a fantastic trip on the WMJR 2019 and am really bummed that events took place to prevent me from doing this with all of you great people.
Isaiah 6:8

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
If I can chime in here on some of this... Since the inception of the Winter Mojave Rd people have been super worried about the level of that water crossing. Each year we have gone through with no issues but it seems that most err on the side of caution (Smartly) and stick farther to the right side lifting the trucks up a bit. Our intakes are on the driver side and nobody has had any hydro-locking problems. The water level has been below that even on mostly stock vehicles with a comfortable level of comfort. In the winter it can get a little deeper but if you go slow with minimal wake people considering this run will be fine. If you really think about it creating a wake will help in keeping the water level lower around the engine compartment and our intakes. It also helps with some issues we can get with the electric fans.

The entire area is just a big level flood plane fed by the underground river. That area drains well above ground and would have a lot of difficulty sending enough pressure from below to make it impassable. That would come from a heavy continuous rain flooding the top soil and not from the ground water. As we experienced last year the "Not so dry Lakebed" should probably be avoided at all costs as many of us are still dealing with the aftermath and I still feel some level of responsibility to that. The water crossing is a totally different event and in my opinion shouldn't be avoided because it's a whole lot of fun at the beginning of an awesome trip. I wish all of you a fantastic trip on the WMJR 2019 and am really bummed that events took place to prevent me from doing this with all of you great people.
Honestly, we all had fun on last year's trip.  Yes, it was messy, but it was something to remember.  You shouldn't stress over what happened, we can all care less and we're all grown adults and could've bypassed the lake ourself if we didn't want to go through it.

On to this year...

Who all is camping in Afton Friday night?  Normal roll-out time, 9ish, on Saturday?
R. Long

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
I will be at Afton Canyon campground starting Thursday night.  Any excuse to leave work!
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
My family band will be there Friday to camp at Afton.

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
Ok, here's the latest update on the trip.  I sent in the permit request, however I'm a little worried that we might not get the official document in time due to the government shutdown.  If that's the case, we can still make it work, might just have to split the group up in to 2 if the need arises.  Here is the updated list of attendees.  If you can't make it, please send me a direct message and we will move to the next standby.

I know it was discussed before, but since we are planning on driving directly to the New York Mountain camp, we will need to be ready to hit the trail as early as possible, since it does add a few more hours.  Let's make it 8:30am.  If you are planning on driving up the day of, please plan accordingly.  If I missed anything, please let me know!

1: Edwin
2: Carlos Moreno
3: Fire Ninja
4: #2
5: Bumble Bee
6: Jayrat
7: Sage Bromax
8: Scuba Dale
9: Rik Rong
10: UltraPC40
11: Duffman
12: PR & FIG.

Standby:

1:
2: Pyrofox79
3: TurboChris
4: JVR
5: Gunslinger2N
6: SocalTerraX

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »
Have fun guys!!!! Take lots of good pictures!

Miss you!!!!       :'(
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC