Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Mojave Road East to West 1-3 Oct, 2010  (Read 42580 times)

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Re: Mojave Road East to West 1-3 Oct, 2010
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
The next morning after Kyle cooked ziplok baggie omelets for every one we were off to the trail. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Whether was perfect and we did not see another vehicle on the trail all day. We stopped at all the usual spots except we could not find the road to the lava tubes. Road seemed a lot rougher than last year. The whoop de do's seems to go for ever. The water crossing was fun, probably about 2 1/2' deep. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Scott had to leave Sat. night so it was just Kyle, his dog Cutter and myself in the Afton Canyon campground. No one else, the place was deserted. The next morning when we left we found out why. The road coming in off of Hwy 15 was washed out. All in all it was a great weekend Kyle and Scott it was a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to doing it again sometime. 
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

NUBEX

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2010, 03:13:46 PM »
what a happy ending for at least 3 of the original group!  Very good!
My weekend was bad: I ended up going to work on Friday after 3 aleves and 3 espressos to reign in my headache; then work again on saturday, followed by dentist and a dance show (yeah, watched dudes dancing on the stage!).  Had to go... :(
I got the wrong winch: 8000lb rather than the 10000lb one.  Now I have to return the wrong one and get the right one.  Will I ever even need to use a winch?
Will I need to change the bumper to install it?
When is the next xcursion? 
the name is classified

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2010, 04:03:06 PM »
Thanks again Don for stepping up and Kyle for coming out. Turned out to work out in the end. It was a fun trip.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This should link to the route we took.

Here is the car that went under me when I was almost home.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:04:46 PM by scottmen »

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »
what a happy ending for at least 3 of the original group!  Very good!
My weekend was bad: I ended up going to work on Friday after 3 aleves and 3 espressos to reign in my headache; then work again on saturday, followed by dentist and a dance show (yeah, watched dudes dancing on the stage!).  Had to go... :(
I got the wrong winch: 8000lb rather than the 10000lb one.  Now I have to return the wrong one and get the right one.  Will I ever even need to use a winch?
Will I need to change the bumper to install it?
When is the next xcursion? 

Do you have sliders or skidplates yet? Way more important than a winch. If you do not have an aftermarket bumper for your winch it is going to require some serious ingenuity to get that thing mounted. And I would really not depend on a winch from Harbor Freight.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

NUBEX

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
I read the moab jeeper magazine review and i figured that, while it's not the most performant, for 240$+20tax i can't go wrong.  i can still take it back, if i discover a better or smarter option.  my wife is protesting anyway that she will not go anywhere where such a thing might be needed and that i take it back.  so i did not decide yet, nothing final.  i need good advice!  thanks already!  
I thought that if I ever get stuck somewhere by myself, i'd have to call somebody to get me out of the trouble; somebody to come means a few hours of somebody's time, times their hourly rate, plus me waiting for somebody for those few hours, it adds up; maybe even to as much as 240$ just for one rescue; vs. 15 minutes of pulling myself out with the winch from htf that i got on sale a while back and never used since i got (except to test it).  How does this sound?  
I only have the 4 stock Nissan skidplates that come with the off-road 2009 model.  
Aftermarket bumper vs. tricky custom install with stock Nissan bumper?  I heard that it takes 40 plus hours to mount on the original.  That is expensive enough timewise that an aftermarket one could make sense.  I wish we could talk about this kind of stuff, rather than me reading on the net and typing very slowly stupid questions.
So, when do we go somewhere? In november?
I'm going to try to start a new thread for an unidentified yet to be determined november xcursion

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:36:40 PM by NUBEX »
the name is classified

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »
Glad everything went good for those who made it!

I told you the road from the 15 to the Afton campground was rough - my 2WD Suburban almost got stuck! I was just about ready to back down the hill, air down, and take a second stab at it when I barely was able to crawl up the hill I was stuck on.

No love at work. I spent five hours Friday beating my head against the network and four more on Saturday. Spent today doing some research and trying to learn something that I must have missed in the last 20 years of working on networks ... didn't work. I've got something loose in my network and don't have the baselines nor tools to find it.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2010, 07:23:06 PM »
Here is the car that went under me when I was almost home.

:o

Oh no. How's the X?
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

scottmen

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »
I don't know for sure. Looks scratched but I will take it in to make sure nothing is bent.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
Don you and the guys rock. Glad to see someone had fun this weekend.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
That's the way to make the most of it  ;D

One of my all time favorite trails, want to run it before DST   

Kyle J. Thompson

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:27 AM »
This is a trip i wont forget. Had ups and downs, and was a great learning experience!

My story goes as follows:

I finally get the conformation the run is back on. That means I am getting ready to mobilize again. 20 mins later I am on the 15 Driving forward to Mitchell Caverns MOnitoring the 2meter big bear repeater and 146.52.

I hit many issolated storm cells and began to fear a wrech, sure enough a car hydroplanes, I stop and adminster assitance untill FD/PD/AMR shows up, back on the road and make camp at 7?

When i wake up this is my view

WE hit the trails after some great omletts!Next stop, Mailbox and frogs. continue on and begin a search for these lava tubes. after an hour search I began to doubt the exsitance of the tubes...

Stopped for lunch on the dry lake bed, where it had to be 105? or so it seemed.

The epic water crossing.

Camp for the night.

Album link
http://picasaweb.google.com/kylehasafiretruck/20101004MojaveTrail#

This was a great trip, Scott, Don you guys rock! haha great run and any time you guys wanna do another lets just plan it out some more! haha

scottmen

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
Forgot to mention that Cutter was a very cool dog too. Good co-pilot.

FrankB

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »
Kyle, is that your truck with the aerodynamic front license plate coming out of the water crossing?  Mine looked just about like that (maybe bent up even a bit more) when I went through there.

Great pics by the way. I'll have to check out the whole album later.

Kyle J. Thompson

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »
Kyle, is that your truck with the aerodynamic front license plate coming out of the water crossing?  Mine looked just about like that (maybe bent up even a bit more) when I went through there.

Nope! that is scott's (scottmen)

Don (goldfish) said the same thing, that his was like that too!

scottmen

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »

It's for the hydrodynamics. I was cutting through that water like a knife.