Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Make your bed! (M̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ car camping (plus other stuff album))  (Read 16407 times)

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
Hey guys and gals! I have just finished the first round of camp mods on the X. This is my still kinda new to me 2005, Canteen Green, 6spd. M/T "S". I recently ordered a 4 inch mattress topper that is 1.5 memory foam and  2.5 high density foam which is plenty enough to keep 200lb me and my 120lb fiance' from sinking through at any point on the bed. this includes laying on your side. My Father in law was kind enough to help me cut up the foam and give some camping pointers.
Also purchased the action packers to gain the extra bit of space and storage and increase the sleeping footprint.
For privacy/light I strung up some curtains I had in the garage with paracord tied from the from oh S*** handle through the back seats' to the cargo hooks and back around. I am also using the sun shade windshield blockers placed just behind the pillows to block out the front. This isn't the ideal set up but it didn't cost any money. The purpose of this was to keep it simple, light weight, and cheap.  In the near future I'd like to just use window inserts for the rear 3 windows and a small stand alone curtain for the two back doors.
this design will surely be improved upon and I am open to any suggestions you more experienced lot may have. The fiance' and I will be taking the rig out this week for an overnight to test it out and enjoy the end of a long and stressful quarter at Cal Poly.

When I get back I will comment and post pictures of our little adventure.
Thanks for looking

folded up for quick transport. when long term storage is needed it is wrapped with tie downs and rolled up night and snug. both ways keep it below the line of sight which is a pretty nice coincidence.

seats out and action packers in, fair bit of room left for camp gear.

yea thats right.. polk-a-dot sheets...but they are flannel... and free...

couple shots from the back

shot from the inside out. much more space than it seems since the curtains hang away from the windows quite a few inches. still has the space when you are in it. just looks smaller.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:01:42 PM by CVXTERRA »

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Make your bed! (my first attempt at car camping)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
Nice, looks good!

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:53:18 PM »
I love sleeping in the back of the X
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:02:40 AM »
Looks good, now get out there and do some camping in it to smooth out your setup. I've been sleeping in the back of my X for years now but I still don't have the fancy setups you guys do. I still go redneck and throw down a air mattress and a folded up Carhart for my pillow. Maybe one day I'll join the cool guys club and get some curtains or some such.
Isaiah 6:8

CVXTERRA

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »
Thanks everyone! I like to think the fancy set up is for the lady, but the truth is she is probably more rugged than myself. Just gotta get through finals and Im gone! only 3 left! and in one day.... >:(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:34:35 AM by CVXTERRA »

CVXTERRA

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 10:37:05 AM »
Alrighty! Drove the X through Cleghorn to Silverwood lake campground and stayed overnight. The X is absolutely brilliant in terms of storage and sleeping capability (also in just bad assery). We had plenty of space to sit up and read for a while and keep some of the more important gear in the front seats. Curtains and shades kept out all light and made it comfortable to sleep. I was able to fit most of the camp gear within the action packer (stoves, and lanterns and the such). Also, before we left I ran to the Home Depot and purchased a roll of screen that I used to make window screens as well as a screen for my rear hatch.
Overall this was an awesome experience and I had a blast.
Just a side note, Silverwood lake campground was quite nice. running water, showers, laundry tubs and lots of activities. however, not for the quick overnight I was looking for at a steep $45 a night. got there late in the day since we were driving all around Cleghorn so didn't really have much time to get the full experience out of the camp site. mostly just a place to sleep, make dinner/breakfast, and have a fire. Ill be back but I'd make more time to use all of the things you gain access to.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
Awesome, looks like a great trip (sans the $45 camp fee... ouch!). I absolutely love your in-rig sleeping setup. I wish I could convince my wife to take a minimalist approach to camping... sure would make things easier to sleep in the rig like that. :)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »
JF, I struggle with that minimalist approach myself on the runs if I have She that bosses me around along.
Isaiah 6:8

CVXTERRA

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
Thanks! it is actually more comfortable and spacious than it appears. It is pretty great to have a self contained rig.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:12 PM »
That's a comfy looking set up. Nice work.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 08:25:17 PM »
Definitely makes me want to step up my game a little.  I love sleeping in the back of the X.  The only thing I would like to figure out is how to make it a little warmer.  The Mojave Winter Run was pretty freaking cold in the car at night.  Felt more like I was in a fridge than a truck.

CVXTERRA

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »
I actually just got back from out in Johnson Valley area last weekend and we stayed in the X. Friday was pretty mild out but Saturday night was frigid outside and was insanely windy. Even with that we had a comfortable nights sleep. And with both windows cracked about 4"s each. I think that the curtains help a lot in keeping the warm in and also having the flannel sheets and using a comforter and quilt makes quite a difference.

What is your set up?

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:06 AM »
Full size matress pad x3
blanket overtop of that
covered up with a mexican blanket and sleeping bag

I might have to get the flannel sheets...that might do the trick

CVXTERRA

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Yeah I do think they make a difference

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
I like the Action Packer setup to gain a little more leg room.  How far did you move the seats up, and did you cut your mattress to fit around the center console?