Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: First Contact... Woohoo!  (Read 2649 times)

sevenhelmet

• 4wd Pts: 1
First Contact... Woohoo!
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »
Today was a slow day at work, so I finally wired up my Yaesu FT-7900R in the XTerra (first HAM radio, got my license 3 months ago.)  I could see it was receiving fine, so when I got in the truck to come home, I made a CQ on 146.52 and had my first HAM contact ever before I started the motor :)

Talked to a guy a few miles away who was more than happy to talk to a first time HAM, and gave me a couple of pointers for the local area as well as some repeaters near where I live.  I've already gotten so much information from this one contact- special thanks to "Bob", AF6WN, of Ridgecrest, CA.  I can see information sharing is going to be a big part of the fun in this hobby.

It's nice to have made first contact so quickly after trying- I was worried I'd have trouble finding the local network of HAMs, but Bob gave me a ton of useful info.  I need to keep a pen and paper in the X, as I was writing stuff on the back of my hand so I'd have it for later!

Happy to be involved in another means of communication and meeting people.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:25:55 PM by sevenhelmet »
KK6AEL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: First Contact... Woohoo!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
Hams are cool folk...love to help one another.

Congrats on the first contact, one you will always remember.

Look forward to our first QSO on the trail...

73's!  :)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Re: First Contact... Woohoo!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »
Hams are like Xterra off-roaders in spades.  They love to share info.  But be careful when you meet them in person though, then you can't shut them up ;D  Well done!!
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO