Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Long weekend  (Read 6398 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Long weekend
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
If I had to guess, I'd say the reason you aren't getting much traction here is because most people who are free this weekend are going on the Cerro Gordo / Salt Trams run that Sage Bromax has been planning for months. The other "active" members who are not going on the run are likely tied up with other obligations this weekend - work, family, etc. Not trying to harp on you, but in general, it's pretty tough to get a good turnout for a run that you put together just a few days before the intended date, especially when you don't have any details in place like date/time/location/rig requirements, and especially over a weekend when people are likely to have made other plans well in advance. That said, it's not uncommon to see people slap together a trip to the desert or the mountains at the last minute, so if you pick a trail and a date and some other details, you might get a few people to show up. :) If you don't get any commitments, you can always change it up at the last minute and join that SCXF run. Those guys are very inviting and laid back, and you can probably just just show up at the trailhead before they're ready to get started. They do a potluck style picnic at the end of each run, which I think they usually do in the Silverwood Lake area when they run Cleghorn. Cleghorn is a very fun area and suited for all skill levels and rig capabilities. Plus you'll get out there with a bunch of other Xterra and Frontier owners.

beedee

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
You'd have to check out their Facebook page.  Honestly, they don't set a lot of requirements and there are 13 people signed up.  Last year, they had a lot more trucks out there for this run.

We had about 15 Xterras and Frontiers. Most of us were noobs, including myself. The Trail Boss took us down some hairy stuff (after saying we wouldn't go down anything too crazy), I don't know how we managed to escape damage free. The San Diego Jeep Club were also out there with over 40 Jeeps, made for a pretty long day.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Ps I am a 2wd and my cb is not hooked up

This might have something to do with it too... ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
We had about 15 Xterras and Frontiers. Most of us were noobs, including myself. The Trail Boss took us down some hairy stuff (after saying we wouldn't go down anything too crazy), I don't know how we managed to escape damage free. The San Diego Jeep Club were also out there with over 40 Jeeps, made for a pretty long day.
The two things I was worried about and you confirmed both.  I figured the Jeep club would be out there again.  The thing that worries me more, though, is leading people through stuff they might not ready for.  They should've split the group and let the crazy people do the crazy stuff.  We didn't run into this issue too much on our joint run at Big Bear, but we did run into it when we ran Pontiac Sluice.  That's all I'll say about it, for now. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »
The Trail Boss took us down some hairy stuff (after saying we wouldn't go down anything too crazy), I don't know how we managed to escape damage free.

This concerns me most...not cool.

This is where spontaneity loses its appeal real quick IMO...
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »
beedee's comment was on 5/25, so I presume he's talking about last year's run (the first run SCXF ever did). Most of us saw the issues with the jeep club on FB, but this is the first I had heard of anyone being uncomfortable with what they were being taken through on the trail. That's definitely not cool. It's a very easy trail if you stay on the fire road. My guess is that the trail hadn't been pre-run to know where the hairy spots were, and therefore no "warnings" were being issued to keep people from following others into the tougher side chutes if you weren't comfortable with the difficulty level.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »
beedee's comment was on 5/25, so I presume he's talking about last year's run (the first run SCXF ever did). Most of us saw the issues with the jeep club on FB, but this is the first I had heard of anyone being uncomfortable with what they were being taken through on the trail. That's definitely not cool. It's a very easy trail if you stay on the fire road. My guess is that the trail hadn't been pre-run to know where the hairy spots were, and therefore no "warnings" were being issued to keep people from following others into the tougher side chutes if you weren't comfortable with the difficulty level.

Off topic/threadjack....but did you notice that goneMOAB conducted a technical inspection of all vehicles during the meet n greet this year?

How cool is that??
KD6DCI

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
That's very cool

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »
Crap, I didn't even pay attention the date.  Well, I saw it but didn't put it into context with the date of this year's run.  Whoops.  lol

Beedee's comments aren't the first I've heard of this nature, but moving on...
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

beedee

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
For those that mentioned my comment, I was referring to last May's run, 2016. I didn't go to this years so I have no clue on how it went.

JCX

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
I did Cleghorn with the SCXF group last Sunday. We had two groups. One 4WD and one 2WD. We just met each other back on the fire road. Everyone seemed to have fun.