Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Arizona Expedition w/ Rogue Overland - 1/25/19 - 1/28/19  (Read 26934 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Arizona Expedition w/ Rogue Overland - 1/25/19 - 1/28/19
« on: February 02, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »
Last weekend, Jayrat, CAWoody and myself traveled to Wickenburg Arizona to meet up with a larger group and embark on the Rogue Overland Winter Expedition. We met early Friday morning at "Vulture City," which is an old town surrounding a (still active) gold mine south of Wickenburg. We were treated to a private tour of the grounds, complete with visits to all of the awesome buildings on the property (including the old town brothel) and even more amazing stories from our tour guide.

We departed and took a convoy of 28 rigs through Wickenburg and north into Box Canyon, which was a really awesome trail that basically ran through a semi-dry riverbed. We camped for the night near Constellation, AZ and had an awesome pot luck dinner.

Saturday morning, we departed camp as a group and took the Wickenburg Mountains trail east toward Lake Pleasant. It was a long but very fun day of wheeling amidst some amazing Arizona scenery. We even paid a visit to Isaac Bradshaw's grave, who was one of the two brothers behind the infamous Bradshaw Trail (the gold road to La Paz). We camped on the north side of Lake Pleasant, and enjoyed a raffle of goodies donated by many sponsors. I am happy to say that I won the grand prize - a Yeti 20 cooler!

The next morning, we broke camp and did a little pavement driving around the south end of Lake Pleasant and then northeast until we caught I-17. From there, we headed into the little town of Rock Springs and stopped for some amazing pie and cinnamon rolls. Jayrat said his goodbyes to the group and departed for home to ensure he'd make it before sundown, and a few others departed for home from this location as well. The remainder of the vehicles proceeded a bit more north to the start of the Turkey Creek Trail. This was one of the coolest trails I've ever been on! It was technical and challenging with some rock crawling sections, but was full of epic scenery and crossed over a river about 8 or 9 times. The one main obstacle on the trail was gnarly (the photos do not do it justice), with a major curved and off-camber tilt over a rock garden, right next to a 15 foot drop off down into the creek. It ended up taking over one hour to spot the entire group of rigs through the obstacle, but everyone made it through OK with no mishaps (even this massive Chevy 2500 Duramax rig that was part of the group).

We ended the day in Cleator AZ at the Cleator Bar and "Yacht Club." We were originally supposed to stop here for a drink, but continued on because we had spent several hours longer on the trail than anyone had expected. We aired back up and the group was supposed to take highways down to Apache Junction and camp for the night, but because of the loss of time, they pulled an audible and decided to head north toward Sedona instead. Several more folks (including Woody and myself) said our goodbyes and departed from the group, taking I-17 back through Phoenix and catching I-10 toward home We all got home late Sunday evening (I think I pulled in around 10:40 pm), while others arrived back at their respective destinations of Vegas and beyond. The remainder of the group camped Sunday night and spent Monday morning running the Broken Arrow trail before departing back to their respective destinations.

It was an amazing trip, and I am so honored to have been part of it. There were a few hiccups each day (a broken steering box on a rig on day 1, an overturned trailer and Woody's rig briefly becoming stuck on day 2, and a flat tire on day 3), but the group was so prepared and overcame each challenge pretty quickly. If you're unfamiliar with Rogue Overland, I'd recommend that you follow their social media pages and check out their YouTube channel, which is full of awesome videos. Such a classy group of folks that know how to put on a hell of a trip! Here are some photos from day one:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:48:50 PM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Arizona Expedition w/ Rogue Overland - 1/25/19 - 1/28/19
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
Some shots from day 2 along the Wickenburg Mountains trail

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
A couple more photos from day 2 once we got to camp. Those Arizona sunsets are so amazing!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:53:11 PM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:47:04 PM »
Photos from day 3 along the Turkey Creek trail:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:52:37 PM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
Great write up and pictures Joe.  Looks like it was a lot of fun.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »
awesome report! heard about the over turned trailer... bummer

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »
What can I say Joe.
 Excellent  bla bla bla beautiful bla bla bla awesome bla bla bla wish I bla bla bla you da man bla bla bla  bla bla bla.
 Thanks Joe.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
There were a few hiccups each day (a broken steering box on a rig on day 1.

Was that by chance one of the Jeeps? Did you happen to notice what they did to fix it?
Isaiah 6:8

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »
Stunning pictures as usual and great write up..... You had me at BROTHEL!!!!   LOL
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Celt

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 06:07:01 PM »
You had me at BROTHEL!!!!   LOL

Quick somebody needs to let the mods know CHUSA has hacked Gunslinger2N's account and is now posting....

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »
  Was that by chance one of the Jeeps? Did you happen to notice what they did to fix it?

Yes, it was the red XJ. The bolts holding the steering box simply sheared off and the box became detached from the frame. It happened during a fairly steep incline when all of the rigs were in a row on a very narrow stretch of the trail, and no one could get around the broken vehicle (which was very close to the front of the pack). They reattached the box to the frame temporarily (I think using a strap or clamp) and were able to get it a few hundred feet further where there was a location to get it off of the trail and let the group through. A couple of the Rogue guys stayed behind while one went back into town and got new bolts. The remainder of the group went on to camp, and the others (including the now-fixed XJ) came rolling into camp a couple of hours later.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:51 AM »

They couldn't find the bolt with same thread pattern so they ended up enlarging the holes on the steering box and added nuts to the bolts.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Celt

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
Yes, it was the red XJ. The bolts holding the steering box simply sheared off and the box became detached from the frame. It happened during a fairly steep incline when all of the rigs were in a row on a very narrow stretch of the trail, and no one could get around the broken vehicle (which was very close to the front of the pack). They reattached the box to the frame temporarily (I think using a strap or clamp) and were able to get it a few hundred feet further where there was a location to get it off of the trail and let the group through. A couple of the Rogue guys stayed behind while one went back into town and got new bolts. The remainder of the group went on to camp, and the others (including the now-fixed XJ) came rolling into camp a couple of hours later.

I thought it was probably a Jeep as that's a common break on the rocks with them. I bet that owner buys a steering gear box skid housing after that trip. It's cheap insurance.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
Impressive...Nick & Alex managing 28 trucks overland and through some serious rock sections.  My trail leader brain is reeling...

Fantastic pics Joe, thank you for sharing.

@Celt...CHUSA doesn't visit brothels...he orders "room service."  ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.