Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - Borrego Mountain Wash and Buttes Pass Area - April 30, 2011  (Read 22053 times)

FrankB

It was a really nice day out in Anza Borrego today. The temps were low 80's, with some wind, but not howling like the last time we were there. Four of us met in San Diego (Chris, Mark, Hennie & Ilda, and me) and we met Brian #2 as we passed through Ramona.  Of course we stopped at the Julian Pie Company bakery in Santa Ysabel to pick up a pie to go with lunch, then it was on to Butttes Pass Road.

Our first stop was Hawk Canyon, where we did spot several large nests and birds way up in the rocks.  Here we are lined up in Hawk Canyon, 4 Xterras and a Frontier.

From Hawk Canyon we got back on to Buttes Pass Road heading north, then turned west in San Felipe Wash until we got to Borrego Mountain Wash, where we turned back south again. Here's Brian #2 coming up the little rock waterfall area partway through Borrego Mountain Wash.

We drove until it got too narrow for a vehicle, then headed up The Slot on foot. I'm still amazed that this leaning spire of fractured rock is still up there.

It's a really interesting walk, the shot above is actually one of the wider spots in the trail. At some points it was too narrow for some of us (well, only one really) to walk.

Heading back north in Borrego Mountain Wash. Mark's Frontier is so new it doesn't even have plates yet.

Next it was east in San Felipe Wash, then south in Blow Sand Canyon, which is an uphill very sandy stretch of trail that leads up to the Goat Trail.

While Blow Sand Canyon is really deep sand, the Goat Trail is hard packed, but with lots of ruts and loose little rocks on the surface. It runs along a ridgeline, with some spectacular views along the way. Many of the crests are so sharp that all you can see over the hood is sky.

We drove out to the top of of the Borrego Mountain Drop Off, and along the way stopped to look down into the Slot, where we had been earlier in the day.

We crossed Hwy 78 and took the little unnamed road just across from Buttes Pass down to Old Kane Springs Road, then took Harper Canyon to almost the end. Lots of fun little rocky sections in Harper Canyon.

There were very few flowers left, although the ocotillo in many spots were in bloom. We did spot a few lizards and lots of small furry animals along the way.  We had to really look to find any cactus flowers, even in the Cactus Garden up Harper Canyon.

All in all it was a pretty good day.  I've got a few more pictures in this gallery.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:18:44 PM by FrankB »

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Nice! Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing your pics and adventures Frank!
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Great pictures Frank. I would of been there if it wasn't for that little fun killer called work.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

KickinTires

• 4wd Pts: 9
Yup, I agree with the rest of the group, this was a fun outing...  It was nice to meet Brian#2, Chris, Hennie and Ilda as well.  Thanks again Frank - looking forward to more trips and thanks for letting a close cousin (Frontier Pro-4X) join in the Fun!

"Slot Canyon" Overlook and the group enjoying the view
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:52:37 PM by Kramer »
Mark

Club Frontier Member "KickinTires"

Brian (#2)

• 4wd Pts: 2
Blow Sand canyon and Goat Trail were fun rides up to see above the Slot.  I will try that one-way down hill section one of these days.

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
Thanks Frank for a great day out.  Goat Trail had me worried there for awhile, but I'm really impressed with what this stock station wagon can do!  I might even have to stop calling it 'station wagon'....
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
Looks like you all had a really nice day!  And those were some nice rocks you ran across.  I loved the pictures.  This guy cracked me up.

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
Yup, I agree with the rest of the group, this was a fun outing...  It was nice to meet Brian#2, Chris, Hennie and Ilda as well.  Thanks again Frank - looking forward to more trips and thanks for letting a close cousin (Frontier Pro-4X) join in the Fun!

"Slot Canyon" Overlook and the group enjoying the view

wow that shot really came out......

FrankB

That really is a nice shot.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's pics too.

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
 I give up , I wasdted like three hours last night trying to post up some of the pics from the weekend. It keep timing out.

GUANO

• 4wd Pts: 4
Wow, a Desert Iguana, quite a find actually...   Those make great pets!  I had one for years before I let it go... It eats veg's and insects.

I'm going to have to make my way up there for some reptile hunting for sure!