Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Sandstone Canyon 11-20-10  (Read 23065 times)

ArchX

• 4wd Pts: 7
Re: Sandstone Canyon 11-20-10
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
Frank - thanks again for the trail run.. It was a great time, your guidance appreciated..  I may add the photos I have from My blackberry but I think you guys captured the better shots by far..

As for the evening run through the desert..   here are a few vids..They are not long as I was solo in my truck so any vid meant one hand on the wheel.. Check out the sky before it got dark..

Hey, nice driving Zach..  we both got a little squirley at least once..  Sorry for the dated soundtrack on last 3 but at 40-50 mph through the desert at dusk had me fumbling through music files..  enjoy.. 

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:43:04 PM by ArchX »

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »
Great pics everyone. Zach, I dig the last two photos you have from Ocotillo.
Bruce, no prob: whenever we meet again is fine. I'll send you a PM.

FrankB

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »
Mark, cool videos.  What did you shoot those with?

As I was watching those I got to thinking that I should apologize for driving so slowly on the way out to Split Mountain Road. You guys that were heading for Calcite Mine must have been going nuts thinking it was getting dark fast and he's just plodding along.  Oh, by the way, just so you know - that is the fastest I've ever driven down Fish Creek, and with the fewest stops. It could have been a lot worse.

XterraDude

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 09:00:52 PM »
Hey Everyone. I can't express enough how much fun I had on this trip. It was wonderful seeing everyone and making new friends. Out of the probably 10-15 times I have been out to Anza Borrego this trip was defiantly up in my top three favorite. Hugeee thanks to Frank for putting this trip together, leading it, and picking up the Pies for everyone it defiantly wouldn't have been the same without you. To everyone that decided to go on the second part of the trip with me through Ocotillo wells and run Calcite thanks again, that was a BLAST we defiantly made veryyyy good time through Ocotillo Wells  ;D Alex again great job on the Calcite trail, to everyone that says that's a four wheel drive only trail you just proved them wrong with flying colors. For everyone else that wasn't there Bruce and I ended up running coyote canyon after dinner in Borrego Springs. I have never done that trail at night, and was a whole new experience, Mitch I wish you could have stuck around for that one, you would have LOVED it. Anyway I look forward to doing another trip with all of you again real soon.

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
Beautiful picts guys! Sorry I missed it

boomer818

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • Dirty White Knight
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:22 AM »
Belive me when I say I'm kicking my self in the ass for having to miss this run. Work is work and it had to be done. It really looks like you all had fun.
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

zachbiz

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
hey that all rhymes. ;)

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »
Hey Frank - You said to remind you about posting a link for more information on those metal creations we saw.

Thanks,
Scott

NateDawgG

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 12:01:58 PM »
Man, I really enjoyed those pictures. Makes me wish I'd gone. Thanks for posting them up!

FrankB

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
Hey Frank - You said to remind you about posting a link for more information on those metal creations we saw.

Thanks,
Scott

Here is a link to the official website of Galleta Meadows. This tells the whole story, and there is a good map of the various installations.

I've set up a few trips out there just to see these, and would be happy to organize another one. A couple of times we combined some offroading, other times when I was with the photo club from San Diego we just stuck with the sculptures since not everyone had offroad vehicles.

Here are some links to my photo galleries of the sculptures. These were taken over a long period of time. You can see how the rust patina has formed on some of them as they get older. They are designed to get a rust patina as the final surface, but when they are set up you can still see some bare metal.

http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Explorations-Day/Borrego-Springs-Sculptures/

http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Explorations-Day/Borrego-Springs-Sculptures-II/

http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Explorations-Day/Anza-Borrego-More-030710/

There are more on my website, but this should be enough to put you to sleep.

ArchX

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
Frank, I would not have enjoyed the day as much if not for the first part of the trail run..  Your pace and narration (and Pie) was the reason I was out there in the first place.  Your leading an example on how to absorb and enjoy the desert experience.  . 
My fault for the time pressure as I was thinking we needed to run Calcite in the light, my apologies for speeding it up   ......  so again a big thanks, and i look forwad to the next run..  ..
Jake, thanks for leading the 2nd half of the run....  that was icing on a good day already..
A day to remember.. 

ArchX

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 09:29:28 PM »
oh yea..  vid shot 100% from my Blackberry..  lost a little in translation to youtube but good enough for a remembering que..  We had some fast sections I tried to record but had to drop it to drive safely..  thinking up some ways to improve.. 

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »
I am terrible with names, but Matt or Mark was asking about bottoming out. Saw this post on another forum

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36554

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
Marc, great vids, and the Sublime was a perfect soundtrack.

I too am sorry for missing this run, a great kick off to the 2010-2011 desert season.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
oh yea..  vid shot 100% from my Blackberry..  lost a little in translation to youtube but good enough for a remembering que..  We had some fast sections I tried to record but had to drop it to drive safely..  thinking up some ways to improve..  

Marc, you should invest in a GoPro camera.  A few of the guys will be taking those along with them to Moab next year.

As a matter of fact, OZ has a thread somewhere here on SCCX that shows his GoPro during the SQB run.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.