Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: The Pinch in Apple Valley...  (Read 9694 times)

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
The Pinch in Apple Valley...
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »
This is a secret little passage way our crew had dubbed "The Pinch"  in a secret little Off-roading and motorcycle riding place I've been going for the last 15 years.

Last year, around this time I took the X though this tough tight little spot for the first time and smashed my doors.  This time, doors came out just fine.

Part 1

Part 2
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

DWphoto

• 4wd Pts: 1
Re: The Pinch in Apple Valley...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
sweet little bonus line!

Your truck is a beast with that SAS.

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
It's a really fun area to do some minor rock crawling, steep canyons, long rocky hills, open desert, ravine crossings, and more.  The guys and I have been talking over the last couple years and we're debating documenting the trails (we've named them all :-)) and sharing them w/ the rest of the world too.  My family has been riding out in this area for about 20 years now and the trails are well develop and range from easy to insane for motorcycles, ATV, & wheelers.  But this trail system has not documented anywhere or on any sites I've ever seen in the last 7 years I've been driving and hitting the trails of CA.

Here's a link to "The Pinch"

The best camping spots, in my opinion, are closer to the dry lake a few miles to the east.  There's plenty of nice primitive sites that have been developed by locals.  Unfortunately a few have been trashed over the years too by the young partying folk.  We're pretty sure the land is part BLM and part private that was once owned by mining companies.  We've never been approached or harassed by anyone in all the years we've been going out there.

W/ a guide this area could make for a nice SCCX trip.  Lots to do, lots of trails, good places to camp, away from people but close enough to get back, sheltered well from desert winds, and it's fairly close.

DW - thanks for the comment on the X.  Just installed a custom set of Alcan springs in the rear and pulled the front axle a few weeks before that and rotated turned the knuckles 12 degrees to rotate the pinon up.  Now getting ready to do differential gears (5.89's), lockers, and roll up to 37's on a set of converted double beadlock hummer wheels.  Gears, wheels, and lockers are all scheduled for Feb if I'm able to keep enough work until then.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:51:12 PM by onewaysoldier »

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »
Great footage! Looks like a really nice area! Thanks for sharing Matt!
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

DWphoto

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »
DW - thanks for the comment on the X.  Just installed a custom set of Alcan springs in the rear and pulled the front axle a few weeks before that and rotated turned the knuckles 12 degrees to rotate the pinon up.  Now getting ready to do differential gears (5.89's), lockers, and roll up to 37's on a set of converted double beadlock hummer wheels.  Gears, wheels, and lockers are all scheduled for Feb if I'm able to keep enough work until then.

It looks like its kinda close to the bell mountain area.I did a poker run out there last year cool area.. Looks like a good time.
Might have to take the rover out next time you guys go out see if i can add a little more character to my driver side doors

The upgrades makes it sound like its going to be even more of a beast...

what tires are on it now 35s?

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
It looks like its kinda close to the bell mountain area.I did a poker run out there last year cool area.. Looks like a good time.
Might have to take the rover out next time you guys go out see if i can add a little more character to my driver side doors

The upgrades makes it sound like its going to be even more of a beast...

what tires are on it now 35s?

Have a set of 35x12.5 R15s - BFG AT's.  Picked them up used w/ about 70% tread about 9-10 months ago.

Going w/ a set of wheels from trail worth fab
http://www.trailworthyfab.com/124-Dollar-8-Bolt-Hummer-Wheel-Special.html

And 37" tires for $100 each locally here.  Thinking this might be more cost efficient long term method.  I like tires that only cost $100.
http://100dollarman.com/tires.html

SteeevO

• 4wd Pts: 23
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
I've never wheeled out there.
Looks like something i'd like to go check out sometime.

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
I've never wheeled out there.
Looks like something i'd like to go check out sometime.

SteeevO - There's a lot of fun and challenging trails out there.  Definitely worth exploring.  Let me know if you'd like a trail guide or camp site recommendations.

SteeevO

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »
yeah next time there is a group going out, don't hesitate to give me a call.
I try to keep up on the boards but it's not always possible.

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »
yeah next time there is a group going out, don't hesitate to give me a call.
I try to keep up on the boards but it's not always possible.

Sure thing.  We're looking at a spring trip out there at this point in time.  I'll keep you posted.

SteeevO

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »
OK Cool. Thanks!