Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Mojave Road in late Jan/early Feb 2022  (Read 5996 times)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
Mojave Road in late Jan/early Feb 2022
« on: December 26, 2021, 09:08:02 AM »
Good morning everyone.  It's been a while since I've been on an SCCX Xcursion, but I have decided to Lead a run to the Mojave Trail from West to East. I have several co-workers who have never done this trail, but everyone is welcome, as always.
I've done the trail myself but it seems I have missed a couple of the highlight spots so I'm wondering if anyone has a map or GPS locations of the highlights along the route.  I also have a few questions.  Where to start?  Where to camp.  The Rock pile & the Lava Tubes are a given.  Frog/gnome garden?  Mojave Cross?  Mojave Mailbox?  Abandoned mines?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 12:59:49 AM by SuperSlideStyle »
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: Mojave Road in late Jan/early Feb 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 10:41:08 AM »
Avoid Soda Lake like the Plague it has been extremely sloppy the past few years, Still dealing with the rust from it.
Usually camp night before in Afton Canyon, then cross the river and take the RR tracks to jackass canyon (I think) then meet up with the Mojave Rd,
Normal camp spots are Beale Mtn (very windy) New York Mtns (can be cold)
Not sure of the coordinates
Wish I could join you.

Kelso Depot pretty neat to see if you haven't
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 01:01:53 PM »
I'm supposed to be out there around that time. Waiting for my friend to tell me the dates he can get off so we can finalize the time. He just said late Jan early Feb. I will follow this thread and post dates when I will be there when I know. Planning to run it east to west though but could be cool to meet a convoy in the middle if it works out.
As for GPS coordinates, get the new Mojave Road Guide by Dennis Casebier. It has GPS coordinates and maps. Unfortunately, none to the GPS coordinates are to the attractions off the road but the maps tell you where to turn to get to them. I'll ask my friend if he has the lava tube co-ordinates for you. He marks stuff like that. Rock pile is on the road and in the book and Tea Kettle Junction is in Death Valley. Which is where I i'll probably be coming from to meet my friend in Bullhead City to start the Mojave.
G.B.H.

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »
He didn't have the coordinates to the lava tubes but said that you turn left on Aiken Cinder Mine Rd. (If going west to east). It intersects with the Mojave Rd. Go not too far north and you will find the trailhead. If you get the book I mentioned you can find the tubes and the intersection on page 118.
G.B.H.

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 09:36:20 PM »
I got the Lava Tubes because it has signs to it.  What about the Mailbox?  I confued Tea Kettle junction with the Frog/Gnome Garden?  Anything else I'm missing
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 11:58:43 PM »
If I remember correctly, the Gnome garden was removed, as well as the bus.  Are you using any sort of navigation software?

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 12:01:16 AM »
Not really.  Paper maps, a basic 3.5" Garmin GPS, OEM Rockford Fosgate Navigation from Nissan and my smartphone.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 06:47:34 PM »
Jayrat is giving you really good advice. The Tom Harrison maps are very accurate and easy to read. The entire road is very straightforward. Do your research for areas off the trail you want to explore and your fuel/water consumption as it plays a factor in the end. The road is not technical by any means. Carry enough water and food for unexpected extended campouts. Prepare for some very strong extended winds matched with very cold temperatures. Pick your campsites in protected areas and be prepared to change them depending upon the prevailing winds. I have gone on three winter trips out there and have had a great time each and every one of them. In truth the winter is the best time to be out there for the sheer beauty of the desert.
Isaiah 6:8