Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Hosting fees  (Read 16642 times)

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
Re: Hosting fees
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »
Jordan has done such a good job here I say we all double… no triple his service fee.

All in favor?!

The short answer is every year, we need to come up with a few hundred bucks to keep our clubhouse open.
Before the age of social media networks, where, if you're not paying for it, you are the product, we had quasi-social networks (forums) before the idea of social networks was even a thing.

To breakdown the cost.  (jordan, correct me if I'm off here)

You go to www.sccxterra.com.  (or sccx.com) we have to pay for that.  Probably $30-50 per year for the name of the website to be on the internet.
You come to the website, and you'd like to look at things.  It's all well in good for all the data that has ever been posted here to just be all together in one continuous line across the homepage, but it's hard for humans to make sense of that. 
So, we need software to make sense of Celt's nonsensical ramblings. $$s for forum software.  (all though, we may be using open source forum software, I can't remember)
Anyways, you probably would like to share a photo or two.  While you can pay for photo bucket, SCCX offers galleries that you can upload your melt mod photos to show the newbs how to do it.
SCCX has to pay for that.
And, any civilized forums don't want "free ps4 click here" spam across the site, so we have to pay for the tech that keeps those dickheads away.

The largest expense, by far, is our site admin Knightrider.  He manages the site, does all of the upgrades, moderates every reported post, deals with all drama (when there is any) and makes sure when I click my browser bookmark to go to SCCX, it's there and working reasonably well. 
The bastard charges us $0 an hour to do it! 

In long - our dumb, out of date, probably not that useful clubhouse need maintenance costs every year.  The guys that frequent the forum, post occasionally, and generally enjoy keeping this thing alive typically pitch in $20 or $30 bucks a year to keep it breathing. 

There are ads on the site to help offset that, but SCCX doesn't get a lot of traffic these days, so I'd imagine it's pennies.

Jordan, nuke my post if I got it wrong, but I imagine, that's how it works.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 11:09:00 PM »
Look at the first post.  There is an embedded link that reads "click here to donate".  It takes you to Jordan's PayPal.
Correction, that is Sccx paypal(I guess it is in my name but the government requires it), separate just for forum funds.  There is a thread in the BOD section to keep track of all transactions for transparency. 

I thank only those that post in here cause some prefer to remain anonymous so I don't want to out anyone. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 11:11:14 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 11:48:41 PM »
I don't want to out anyone.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 05:28:15 AM »
Look at the first post.  There is an embedded link that reads "click here to donate".  It takes you to Jordan's PayPal.

Just sayin..................
Isaiah 6:8

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
Doh!
Guess I should learn to read.
G.B.H.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »
Jordan has done such a good job here I say we all double… no triple his service fee.

All in favor?!

The motion is lost for want of a second.  I shall proceed with my current stipend. Thanks anyway Phil.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2021, 01:46:13 PM »
The motion is lost for want of a second.  I shall proceed with my current stipend. Thanks anyway Phil.

Back to the Gulag with you!
Isaiah 6:8