Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Pro4X Off Road Light Switch For Light Bar  (Read 6373 times)

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
Pro4X Off Road Light Switch For Light Bar
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:23:55 AM »
Hey Pros,

How hard would it be to use the switch that turns on the roof mounted lights on my Pro4x to control a light bar?  I like the stock ones, but they don't put out enough light in my opinion.  Another option would be to gut the stock lights and put in aftermarket LED lights.  Anyone ever do that?

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Pro4X Off Road Light Switch For Light Bar
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »
Hey Pros,

How hard would it be to use the switch that turns on the roof mounted lights on my Pro4x to control a light bar?  I like the stock ones, but they don't put out enough light in my opinion.  Another option would be to gut the stock lights and put in aftermarket LED lights.  Anyone ever do that?

Paging knightrider... :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »
Scroll through this build thread...knightrider did an HID conversion for the Pro-4X roof lights and it came out pretty damn cool...he's moved on since to aftermarket lighting, but it was an OEM exercise in premium retrofit:

Jordan Likes Lights more than Joe

:D :D :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »
Nice.  I tried pulling up the photos, but the site that he uploaded them to doesn't seem to be working(probably since it was a few years ago).  I did a cheap HID conversion, maybe that's why I'm not super happy with the results.  I do a few night runs in Ocotillo Wells, so having a light bar would probably be better for me.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »
The main question here is whether or not you want to be able to control your light bar, separate from your high-beams.  If that's the case, you might just be better off putting a light bar on a separate switch in the blank next to your OEM overhead light switch.  There is a bypass out there, that allows use of the roof lights without high beams, but I'm not sure if you've done that or not.  I'm also not willing to do some of the hacking required for the bypass.  If you want the light bar to operate exactly as the OEM lights, I'm pretty sure you can find a blank harness that can be wired to fit into the plug on the roof.  Just figure out what wire does what and it should be easy to wire in.  When I was looking at possibly running fogs in my aftermarket bumper, I was able to find plugs that could be wired and could fit the OEM fog light plugs. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
Unfortunately, the stock wiring isn't big enough to handle most 40" light bars. The wiring (and fuse) are rated for 15 amps. Most 40" LED bars are going to use approximately 20 amps (19ish, usually). Please don't be that person who says "well I won't have any issues" and just hooks it up to the factory wiring. Trust me, stretching electrical systems beyond their capacity is nothing to play around with. And a stretch like that (33% above the designed capacity) is just asking for a major meltdown. The last thing you'd want is a burned up rig in the middle of the desert.

So you'd need to run larger wiring to the roof no matter what, unless you get your hands on a smaller light bar that uses less than 15 amps (maybe a 30" or something?). 40" really is the ideal size for our rigs, and if you can get your hands on a set of those Offroad Gorilla mounting "devil horns" mounting brackets, it's a perfect setup. If you still want to run it off of your factory switch (to keep a clean factory look inside the rig, etc.), you can just install a relay along the factory circuit that acts as the "on" switch for the light bar when you engage the factory switch.

The quick way to calculate the amperage draw of a light bar is to divide the wattage by the operating voltage. For example - a 40" light bar with 80 LED bulbs that are 3 watts each would be 240 watts total (this is a very common configuration for a 40" light bar). 240 watts / 13.4ish volts (typical operating voltage of a stock alternator) is 17.9 amps. If your alternator is putting out less (or you're running other accessories that are dropping the voltage), or you shut the car down and the light bar is running straight off of the battery, it would be more like 19.7 amps (240 watts / 12.2 volts). So if you keep your eyes open for a light bar that will draw less than 15 amps at 12 volts, you'd be good to simply wire it right to the factory circuit. Otherwise, you will need to run larger wiring to the roof.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:40:49 PM by JFanaselle »

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »
I still have 3 40 inch light bar for sell with wire harness.

Interested?

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 02:56:30 PM »
Unfortunately, the stock wiring isn't big enough to handle most 40" light bars. The wiring (and fuse) are rated for 15 amps. Most 40" LED bars are going to use approximately 20 amps (19ish, usually). Please don't be that person who says "well I won't have any issues" and just hooks it up to the factory wiring. Trust me, stretching electrical systems beyond their capacity is nothing to play around with. And a stretch like that (33% above the designed capacity) is just asking for a major meltdown. The last thing you'd want is a burned up rig in the middle of the desert.

So you'd need to run larger wiring to the roof no matter what, unless you get your hands on a smaller light bar that uses less than 15 amps (maybe a 30" or something?). 40" really is the ideal size for our rigs, and if you can get your hands on a set of those Offroad Gorilla mounting "devil horns" mounting brackets, it's a perfect setup. If you still want to run it off of your factory switch (to keep a clean factory look inside the rig, etc.), you can just install a relay along the factory circuit that acts as the "on" switch for the light bar when you engage the factory switch.

The quick way to calculate the amperage draw of a light bar is to divide the wattage by the operating voltage. For example - a 40" light bar with 80 LED bulbs that are 3 watts each would be 240 watts total (this is a very common configuration for a 40" light bar). 240 watts / 13.4ish volts (typical operating voltage of a stock alternator) is 17.9 amps. If your alternator is putting out less (or you're running other accessories that are dropping the voltage), or you shut the car down and the light bar is running straight off of the battery, it would be more like 19.7 amps (240 watts / 12.2 volts). So if you keep your eyes open for a light bar that will draw less than 15 amps at 12 volts, you'd be good to simply wire it right to the factory circuit. Otherwise, you will need to run larger wiring to the roof.
I'm glad you chimed in because I hadn't even considered that in my response.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:45:09 AM »
Sorry, I will need to reupload my pictures to my new host, my old host died. 

So I went with Morimoto HID's in my stock off road lights and I was quite happy, they had good spread and good light down the trail.  The glare was pretty bad (even the stock lights were bad IMO) but I managed to make some glare shields that eliminated the glare on the dash and windshield.

Now onto your question.  the factory switch is nothing more than a momentary switch that is latching a relay, that relay is buried inside the IDPM(IPDM? The integrated relay thingy) but you could piggy back another relay on that signal to control a light bar if you wanted.

My current lighting setup is 5 KC Pro-Sport 6" 35w HID mounted on the front of my Ghost Xoskel roof rack.  I had tried out a 40" curved LED light bar with 5w Osram LED's(now mounted on Toro's rig) but I missed my long throw HID's.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit