Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: yet another tire thread  (Read 7199 times)

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
yet another tire thread
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:57:26 PM »
Hey folks!

I think the time for a tire upgrade is approaching. I have a couple in mind but I could use a bit of advice. I know that everyone and their mother has an opinion on tires and at the moment I am looking into the BFG K02's and the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/ kevlar. I have been going back and forth between the two and even a cooper or general grabber from time to time.

Really interested in hearing opinions and thoughts on tire sizes. I know I can run 33's with the melt mod, but with that I will lose some mpg and power. I don't mind a small hit to my mpg since I can pull about ~20 with my current configuration/driving, but this is my daily driver and I don't want to loose too much. Also with the increase in tire size comes an increase in cost which I am not crazy about since I wold already be at about a grand on 4 or 5 tires mounted. I am considering staying stock size which is about 30" if I am not mistaken, or going up only a size or two. I think I would like the look of the size up or two combined with the A/T tire since I have no plans on a lift or anything of that sort in the near future.

So what does everyone think? stay at stock size and keep everything the way it is and have an increase in capability, go up a size ( or 2?) and get a little more clearance and potentially better ascetic? 33's and FTW? I have been having a hell of a time making a decision here and would love some thoughts.

Thanks!

beedee

Re: yet another tire thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »
I was in your same position with my former Frontier (that I traded in last week)....even narrowed it down to the KO2s. I looked at the General Grabber AT2, Firestone Destinations, Coopers, and Goodyear Duratracs. I thought about doing 285's, and the melt mod and pinch weld mod, but then I ended up deciding that it would be best to not mess with cutting the pinch weld. 265's won out in the end, but in the end I never got the tires because I picked up my X last week.  :D  So my point is, for me it was a matter of not wanting to lose any MPG with the 285's (bigger/heavier) AND not wanting to cut the pinch weld to ensure clearance. Like my Frontier, my X is my daily driver and I drive 25 miles round trip to work along PCH. My X currently has the OEM tires on it, but when it comes time to replace them, I'm 99% sure I will be going with 265, KO2's.

CVXTERRA

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
Thanks! that is the direction I am leaning most in (I think. being pretty indecisive at the moment haha) I drive 40 miles round trip to school 4 days a week so I think the 33's are probably out. Really comes down to going up a size or so but for the extra price per tire and loss of mpg/power it may not be worth the gain in ascetics. Thank you for you input! anything in particular steer you away from the grabbers at2 and the duratracs and toward the KO2s?

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 07:59:03 PM »
I have 285/75/R16 (33's) Duratrac, love em. I didn't really lose MPG's, but the inch lift difference was nice.
The melt mod part was easy if you have a heat gun or blowdryer, and a small 2x4 for pushing.
It all depends on what you really want your rig for ??
For off-roading you can air down and still have clearance .
When you spend that much $$ on tires , you'll wish you did 33's with Melt Mod
IMO
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

CVXTERRA

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:19:11 PM »
It all depends on what you really want your rig for ??
When you spend that much $$ on tires , you'll wish you did 33's with Melt Mod
IMO

I really want a more overland-y/ camp machine. I know I am not a crawler being a 2wd x But I am still pretty damn capable. Just want to have fun and really enjoy my x and the outdoors.

This was a concern with going stock or even a 31", not going all the way and getting the 33". Like you said with that amount of money being thrown down any way, why not a couple more bucks/biggest possible tire.

did you notice any loss of power with the 33"? that and mpg seems to be the most common complaint 

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »

did you notice any loss of power with the 33"? that and mpg seems to be the most common complaint
Around town there was a little  difference in power , so now I'm mostly in 4th driving the streets, Highway no difference, IMO still has balls.
I'm mostly into Overland, so a wider and higher tire, if you air down?is nice
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »
I have an S model that came stock with 31" tires (265/70/16). At the time I upgraded, my Xterra was also my daily driver and I didn't go to a full 33", so I opted for a 32" instead (265/75/65). In the end, I'm glad I did it. I've never had an issue that a 33" tire would have made a difference in, and I easily saved $100 or more on the full set. Plus I was able to get a 32" spare for cheap, since it's the OEM size for the Pro-4X and Offroad models of Xterra (just bought one from another member on this forum that had upgraded to 33s).

Since that time, I've purchased a commuter car and no longer commute in my Xterra. That decision was made because I was bitten badly by the "mod bug," and decided to start going full retard with mods. I quickly saw my gas mileage go from 20-ish to 18-ish and now down into the 15-16ish range. So, for my next set of tires, I'll be upgrading to 33s, and that's mostly for asthetic reasons than it is functionality. As others have said, you'll get an extra 1/2" of lift out of a 33" vs a 32", but the extra cost/weight/decreased MPGs wasn't worth it for me. I actually noticed a difference even going from a 31 to a 32, but I'm also a lead foot and drive 80 mph on my commute, which has a lot to do with that.

So my official opinion is that, while you may eventually wish you had 33s, you won't regret getting a 32" as long as you get a high quality tire with an aggressive tread pattern. I have the Duratracs as well, and I LOVE them. You'll hear a lot of people say they're not good for the desert because they're a softer compound and get chewed up by rocks. Those same naysayers will tell you to get the KO2s for the same reason. While it's true - BFG does design those tires specifically for the types of desert running that most of this group does - it's also true that the harder compound means less grip on slick surfaces. That includes concrete, mud, and most of all, snow. So if you spend any time up in the mountains during the winter, you may be better off with the duratracs. Also, I've chewed my duratracs up pretty good on many rocky desert trips, and they're holding up very nicely with no issues a all. One member on this forum, Motorpig77, recently purchased new KO2s to repace his Duratracs, and he has said he notices a difference in traction when cornering and on slick surfaces. I believe he's planning to convert back to Duratracs.

But, whatever you end up with, I'm sure you'll be happy, as it'll be a huge improvement over OEM tires. One last note - I would highly recommend a load range E tire, regardless of what brand you end up going with. They're stiffer and won't ride quite as nice, but it'll make a big difference when you air them down in the desert, especially in regards to protecting your sidewalls from sharp rocks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:49:21 PM by JFanaselle »

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 01:22:45 AM »
I've run several different tires over the last years. My first real tire upgrade was to 33's with my Xterra but those were Toyo Open Country M/T's. They function flawlessly and I didn't notice a huge difference in fuel economy. Initially you will certainly notice your X is sitting higher. Since then, I have upgraded to 35's and still Toyo's as I'm really prefer them for everything I like to do. With the 35's, I have noticed the engine working a little harder going up long steep grades but it's still not shifting like crazy as some people I have read about might say. The RPM's stay around 1100 on flat ground to minor hills on the freeways. When it down shifts on the very steep long grades it hovers around 3k and stays there until it upshifts again back to a comfortable 2k range. I also do not drive fast, I'm in that 65 MPH on the freeway crowd. If I need to get on the gas I have no issues with plenty of power being distributed to the wheel.

My experience with BFG's are on my Jeeps. On one of them I'm running KO 32's and they perform just fine on and off road in rain adverse conditions. On the other I'm running the A/T KO2's in 35's. So far so good but I have not gone out for any serious rock crawling with them yet. As with the Toyo's or BFG's the road noise is certainly manageable. Thus far the KO2's have handled well on surface streets and freeways under wet and dry conditions. I have not had them in the snow as unfortunately snow has been elusive this year. To sum up my ideas is if you go out with lots of rocks and minor obstacles you might just thank yourself for buying the 33's. If you are primarily driving on roads with the occasional weekend trip every couple of months who is to say... As to the style of tire the only real way to know is to talk to guys that are running them and ask a lot of questions. Once you get them on is when you will really see if you like them or not. The easiest way to keep your MPG down is to stay off the skinny pedal and cruise control is your friend.
Isaiah 6:8

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 01:42:56 AM »
As far as what tire to get, I recently got the General Grabber AT2's.  Alot of good reviews can be found on this tire and the price was a huge selling point.  Tire Rack has them listed for $151 a tire and Discount Tire matched that price!!!  New 33's for about 750 out the door with the warranty that will cover anything that isn't repairable.  Also the Grabber does great in the rain and snow.  I'm sure whatever tire you decide on getting will do great.

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »
So my official opinion is that, while you may eventually wish you had 33s, you won't regret getting a 32" as long as you get a high quality tire with an aggressive tread pattern.

But, whatever you end up with, I'm sure you'll be happy, as it'll be a huge improvement over OEM tires. One last note - I would highly recommend a load range E tire, regardless of what brand you end up going with. They're stiffer and won't ride quite as nice, but it'll make a big difference when you air them down in the desert, especially in regards to protecting your sidewalls from sharp rocks.

Everybody has given really good advice on this thread, but Joe nailed a couple of things.....

KO2's vs Duratrac's is really a matter of preference, how you drive, and what you like to drive on - IMO.

Bottom line - size matters - especially off-road.

We almost went Joe's route (getting 32's) due to mpg - but I'm really glad we went with 33's.  My only issue was for the spare tire, on 33's you need a stock rim - spare rim is slightly too narrow to go up 2 sizes.  So if you want a spare tire that matches your other tires, on 33's, you will need to pick up an extra rim.  I know $$ is a factor, so wanted you to be aware of this.

The loss in mpg can be a little misleading - see tire calculator thread

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
yet another tire thread
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
Really, as everyone stated, it boils down the the driving you will be doing (on road vs off road) and budget.

Also, consider that tires typically last 40-50K miles, and you want to choose size carefully, because odds are your driving skills off road will (if you go out wheeling with SCCX) improve and you may have wished for a different size/tread configuration.

This is an off road biased group (obviously) that uses their rigs as DD's. (Daily drivers)

In my case, I ran 33's forever (285/75/16's) on my Xterra, and the mileage/budget hit was worth it, as my DD/Off road percentage was about 60/40.

IME...as I DD more now, (life, work, kids) I am very happy running 265's on my rig now, BFG AT K02's. Quiet on the road, easy on the mileage, and my last set of K01's ran over 60K miles.

I expect this new set will perform the same, if not better.

Good luck, I'm sure with all the feedback you'll make an excellent choice.

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

beedee

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »
Thanks! that is the direction I am leaning most in (I think. being pretty indecisive at the moment haha) I drive 40 miles round trip to school 4 days a week so I think the 33's are probably out. Really comes down to going up a size or so but for the extra price per tire and loss of mpg/power it may not be worth the gain in ascetics. Thank you for you input! anything in particular steer you away from the grabbers at2 and the duratracs and toward the KO2s?

This may sound shallow, but purely aesthetics. I love the aggressive look of the KO2, then Duratrac, then Grabber AT2. I should make a spread sheet that breaks down the weight, mileage, etc...

Tire Rack Pricing for 265/75/16:
KO2: $181.00
Duratrac: $193.00 $173.00 (when you add to cart)
Grabber AT2: $155.00

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:17:05 AM by beedee »

CVXTERRA

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 11:05:09 AM »
I CANNOT thank you all enough for your guidance and opinions, really helped me make a decision. I am going to go with the BFG's KO2's in 265/75/16. I think this will be the best size for the driving that I currently do and for the price at 181(thanks beedee). Thank you all for your input! This has been a tough decision that has been haunting me for months and I feel confident with my decision with your help!

hopefully I will be able to get this done soon!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:09:50 AM by CVXTERRA »

CVXTERRA

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
It is done! I purchased 4 KO2's from americas tire and had them installed today. I stuck with the 265/75/16 and could not be happier with the purchase. Thanks again to everyone who had a hand in helping this decision.

*also, any ideas on an asking price from stock long trails? they are in tremendous shape and I am hoping to sell em to recoup some cash for the tire purchase.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »
Congrats...you will love these tires.

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.