Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: OBA setup  (Read 11803 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
OBA setup
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae195/DzrtX/The%20GhostX/GhostX%20Mods/53C3BE80-B477-49B2-9197-A353B0252927-13362-00000E6CC998AB27.jpg
OBA setup

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: OBA setup
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
Jay, take a look at my setup tonight, might give you some ideas.
All this OBA talk , so many ideas, Eric (Celt) has an awesome set up, now I have to look at Jordan"s (Knightrider)
then get my ass in gear and install
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »
Puma
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/marinecorpwife8/compressor.jpg
OBA setup
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
Well the pressure switch FINALLY arrived in the mail today and I was able to get the OBA setup finished. Just in time for Bradshaw.

The teflon tape I used must have been low quality or something, because I have some tiny leaks around the brass "t" fittings. They're very small leaks, but with no tank, it's making the compressor turn on and off about every 10 or 15 seconds. Turns off when it hits 110 PSI, and turns back on in about 15 seconds when it leaks back down to 90 PSI and runs for about 2 seconds until it hits 110 again.

I'll get around to fixing it after the trip. But I did test it out earlier and was able to air up one of my tires from 20 to 35 PSI in about a minute and a half. That's good enough for me. :)

The more I thought about it, the more I was worried about the compressor running hot in that crammed little space (thanks a lot, Ghost! :)). I decided I'd sleep a little better at night if I hooked up some kind of fan to at least push a little bit of air into the space where it's mounted. I shopped around and found a small 12v blower for ventelating electronics on eBay for $20. Turned out the seller was right here in Murrieta and I picked it up from him the same day. I fabricated a little bracket and mounted it in a way to blow air straight down onto the piston housing, which also circulates down into the area where the compressor is mounted to cool the motor a little. I wired it to the switch that controls the relay BEFORE the pressure switch. So, when I switch on the whole system, the fan runs the entire time and the compressor kicks on and off as the lines are pressurized or when pressure drops. This way, the fan will continue to cool the compressor as I move from tire to tire and it's switching off. Overall, I'm very happy with how it all came out!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:08:50 AM by JFanaselle »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 12:08:26 AM »
Yea I will be using my little red mv50 for this trip, I wasn't able to source a piece of braided hose to connect my new pump to my tank, hello 20 minute fillup on Sunday :(
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re:
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »
Yea I will be using my little red mv50 for this trip, I wasn't able to source a piece of braided hose to connect my new pump to my tank, hello 20 minute fillup on Sunday :(

Bummer. :( What do you normally air down to? I'm always afraid to go too far below 20 PSI. Makes for a quicker fill-up at the end of the day, too.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 12:16:19 AM »
Bummer. :( What do you normally air down to? I'm always afraid to go too far below 20 PSI. Makes for a quicker fill-up at the end of the day, too.

20 psi? Gesh man that's near roadway pressures. 8-12 psi is where it's at my friend!
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 12:44:58 AM »
yea my normal air down is around 12, 8 if theres deep sand, 18 if im running the washes at 60+mph.  my puma pump/5gal tank would go from 10psi to 40psi in 6 minutes doing 2 tires at a time, hoping my air zenith ob2 will be even faster, plus i will have more reserve in the tank since it goes to 200psi vs the 120psi of the puma.  40psi hot works out to about 35-37psi cold. 
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »
I got you covered
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/27/71ced52395ad2a1dbbf4efbdcd6df0d1.jpg
OBA setup

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
Danny, can you just tell me....any issues with it overheating or reaching boiling temp back there?  It's not that exposed to fresh air, and I assume that means longer to cool down...

Now, it's definitely not getting submerged or eating a ton of dust, which makes it the more attractive option especially if I'm gonna do it right the first time...

Is that the whole thing?  Where's the tank itself? Are the 2 blue things tanks?

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
It does get pretty warm in there, especially with the fridge now right in front of it. Phases 2.0 is going to be installing a small fan onto it.
   The blue cylinders you see are the actual pumps. There are two of them working together with the outlet right near the middle. This is what gives this compressor its high ouput.
    There is currently no tank with this. Everything runs right off the pump with out a problem. I have a 5 gallon tank that will be going in during the next major upgrade.

scott307

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
Here is my setup - ARB Dual with 2 gallon tank. The unit doesn't seem to get real hot in the cabinet, but If I'm running for a longer period of time, I open the drawer and let it get some air (I have to open the drawer anyway to get my air chuck.)
Guage and Switches
Rear Cabinet
Top View
Side View
Tank
Locker
Quick Disconnects

I used to have a Viair mounted upside down near the tank (in the empty spare tire space.) It worked great and never had any problems with the dirt or water - I rerouted the intake to a place inside the cab so it would get fresh air (Note - If you extend the intake line, get a larger diameter hose.) I upgraded to the ARB only for speed.
Scott - KK6UGK

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »
That ARB compressor is fast, especially for its compact size. I'd like to upgrade to one eventually.
WE6DGR

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
So I have questions....  :o

1. I like the idea of installing the tank where the spare tire goes and the compressor in the storage compartment. Especially for water/mud crossings.. ::)
Any issues with this setup?

2.  I think KnightRider is running this system Air Zenith OB2.  Can you run Air Tools off this setup?  My Google understanding is Airtools require 3-6 CFM at 90psi to run correctly.  Is this true? The AZOB2 runs 2.66 CFM at 90psi

This is our max price point for OBA at this time (aka no ARB system).  If the AZOB2 can't realistically run air tools - we are looking maybe at this option...... VIAIR 200 PSI Ultra Duty Onboard Air System which only runs 1.13 CFM at 90psi

3. I do like the Stainless Steel Braided Air Hose vs. the VIAIR 30' coil hose.  And I notice the AZOB2 has 1/2" NPT Air Tank Fitting vs. the VIAIR 3/8" NPT Intake Port.
But are these differences significant?

4. Anything else I need to consider?

As always, I appreciate all input and help with spending more money...... O0

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
1.  No problem, just know the comp. does get hot.

2.  Air tools vary greatly on requirements.  Mr, Jordan?

3.  No.

4.  I think that you can get more for your $ by piecing together your own system.  I got about $200 into my dual comp. set-up.

We'll talk :-*
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO