Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CANVAZ VIII 2018 (Official Thread)  (Read 62109 times)

jvr

• 4wd Pts: 3
Re: CANVAZ VIII 2018 (Official Thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
I'm in for black on Saturday blue on sunday
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:10:15 AM by jvr »

beedee

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 09:37:29 AM »
Put me down as a 'maybe'. I'll see if my wife can close her books for that Saturday so we can actually join a weekend SCCX event!

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
We're in for Friday night and a Saturday green run. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

S4ad0w10

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2010 Frontier Pro4x
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »
Hey guys. LeLan here. I’m with Silver State Nissans (ssn). I’m gonna push for some more attendance from our members this year. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Looking forward to meeting you guys.
SILVER STATE NISSANS:

FACEBOOK- https://www.facebook.com/groups/SilverStateNissans/
INSTAGRAM-silverstateNissans

Syberia

• 2005 Off Road
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
Anza Borrego is a favorite place for my wife and I to visit anyways, and we just bought a 2005 Off Road X.  That's our first 4WD/Off Road vehicle and we have no experience; hopefully there's at least something that's easy enough for us to handle?

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
Anza Borrego is a favorite place for my wife and I to visit anyways, and we just bought a 2005 Off Road X.  That's our first 4WD/Off Road vehicle and we have no experience; hopefully there's at least something that's easy enough for us to handle?

I can tell you with 100% assuredness there will be plenty of trails to accommodate you. You will also be able to gain lots of knowledge about wheeling if you want on those trails and build lots of confidence.
Isaiah 6:8

Syberia

• 2005 Off Road
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
We will be there then.  And you can put us down for chicken strips for the potluck. Also can bring a projector and movie screen if that interests anyone.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 10:23:02 PM »
We will be there then.  And you can put us down for chicken strips for the potluck. Also can bring a projector and movie screen if that interests anyone.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

YAAASSSS!

Can we watch 'Stripes"?
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Syberia

• 2005 Off Road
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »
I don't see why not

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
Welcome to the page Syberia! I'm just right up the road in Murrieta. Feel free to post up in the welcome thread and tell us a little about yourself and your rig. :)

Adam12SD

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
Hi guys! I’m a super newb beginner to off-roading as well. Any prerequisites for me to join you guys on the trip?

Celt

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 05:47:23 AM »
Hi guys! I’m a super newb beginner to off-roading as well. Any prerequisites for me to join you guys on the trip?

Have a licensed off road capable vehicle. 4WD is good but not a pre-requisite. Have camping gear and be able to bring your food and water along with some firewood. The rest is up to you as were planning to run several different types of trails. This is planned to be a family/dog friendly event. If you want to sharpen off road skills this is a good event as there should be lots of knowledge there.

Adam12SD

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »
  Have a licensed off road capable vehicle. 4WD is good but not a pre-requisite. Have camping gear and be able to bring your food and water along with some firewood. The rest is up to you as were planning to run several different types of trails. This is planned to be a family/dog friendly event. If you want to sharpen off road skills this is a good event as there should be lots of knowledge there.
Awesome! Thanks for the information. I wouldn’t want to hold anyone up from having a good time, but as for just getting my feet wet off roading, I WOULD feel more comfortable with some seasoned people there.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
Adam12SD - this would be a great first run with the group. Just bring a great attitude and your sense of adventure, along with enough gear and supplies to be self sufficient. Just the basics would get you by:

*Some shelter for camping (a tent, or some people just sleep in their rig, plus a sleeping bag, etc)
*Food for yourself and anyone in your group, both on the trail and back at camp. Days on the trail usually result in lunch on the trail, so plan accordingly. Having some extra food is also a good idea, in the event of an emergency.
*Water. Again, have enough for an emergency. The absolute least you should have in the desert is 1 gallon per day per person in your group. More is always good.
*Fuel for your rig. Most folks show up with as full of a tank as possible (aka - filling up at the closest gas station), and bring at least a few extra gallons.
*Firewood for the group fire. Specific amount will be defined as we get closer to the event, but usually one or two bundles per attending rig ends up giving us plenty for a few good nights' fires.
*Anything else that is an "essential" for you or anyone in your group. Think: heaters, portable bathrooms (and toilet paper), air mattress, etc. For example, we will likely be staying where there is no bathrooms. Some people don't mind hiking a distance from camp with a shovel and squatting over a hole. Others prefer to "go" in a more comfortable setting, especially if you have family members in your group. If you know that certain amenities are important to you or anyone in your group, plan accordingly to have them with you. Remember, we'll be in the open desert with pretty much nothing around but ourselves and whatever we bring.

If you don't have a lot of experience dry camping, you'll learn a lot from this group quickly in just a single outing. The key is to not be a burden on the group while you're learning, and that's easily accomplished by bringing the few things I listed above. It's one thing to forget ketchup and ask if anyone in the group has some for your hot dog, but it's another thing to run out of gas on the trail because you were the only one who didn't bring extra fuel. Feel free to ask tons of questions, as everyone here has their own style and their own essentials for trips like this. For example, I prefer to bring a big kitchen setup and cook great food for myself and my family. Celt usually likes to throw some scraps into a piece of foil and set it in the campfire for a few minutes and call it dinner lol (or he's been known to pull an MRE out from under his seat during the middle of a day on the trail).

As far as the actual trails and offroading, don't worry, we won't get you into any situations you aren't comfortable with. If you're still learning the capabilities of your rig and yourself, you can stick with the group on the green trails, which are basically dirt fire roads. The last thing you should consider is some kind of communications capability. Most of our group runs Ham radios, but it requires a license before you can operate on one. Getting the license isn't difficult, there are free or cheap study guides that will help you pass the test for the most basic license, but it does take a little bit of a time investment to study and be ready (some people just buckle down and get it done in a day or two, others will study for a few minutes a day for a few weeks before they're ready). There are very inexpensive handheld Ham radio options from China (see: Baofeng). Even if you don't obtain a license before this trip, you can purchase one of the radios for $30 or less and be able to at least monitor the communications taking place within the group you're in. CB is a secondary option, but less and less folks in our group are running CBs these days, so you're far better off with the HAM if you can swing it.

Look forward to seeing you out there!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:20:43 PM by JFanaselle »

Celt

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
+10 for the MRE's!!!