Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Repainting recommendations  (Read 5278 times)

pmkroger5

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2001 Xterra XE
Repainting recommendations
« on: October 23, 2021, 02:43:10 PM »
Thinking about repainting my 01 Xterra.  Does anyone have a recommendation for an LA/OC area shop?  Nothing fancy, just restore the original factory color.

Thanks,

Peter
2001 Xterra XE, auto, V6. Alpine Green
331000 Miles

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
Re: Repainting recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »
If you wheel your Xterra and are a DIY type person, Do it yourself. I knew nothing about painting cars but had a compressor so thought why not. Did a little research and bought the necessary supplies. Any decent auto paint supplier can match your color. I painted My IH Scout in a little over a day. It was a great experience. Not going to say it was show quality in the end but it looked a lot better than before. Kept the rust out and covered the old pin striping. If you need your X to look like show quality then ignore this post.
G.B.H.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:56:38 AM »
Another route, if suffer from trail stripes, is to use Monstaliner or similar.  I did the lower half of mine and it was an easy roll-on job.  They have great colors too.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 08:06:08 AM »
Original paint is a 2-stage paint (but in reality 3 steps).  Primer, paint, clear coat.  90% of the quality will be the amount of prep work done before the paintjob itself.  The sanding, bondo, masking, etc.
Stay away from cheap "specials" that mix the clear coat with the paint itself.  It will look good for about 1-1½ yrs, then start fading & you'll rralize why it was a bad idea.  A decent 2-stage paint will not be cheap.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD