Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Cerro Gordo 2018  (Read 24809 times)

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: Cerro Gordo 2018
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 06:05:44 AM »
I am alive and was not abducted by aliens.  Although, having just turned 62 I think I am due for a little probing!  ::)  I will be bringing at least 3 bundles of wood.  I would recommend that everyone bring at least two bundles (one for each night), and more if you have room.  I will check with Robert this week to confirm what he might need for us to bring up.  We are about two weeks out, so I will firm up the participant list by this weekend.  Now I'm off to find my tinfoil hat and Kevlar underwear.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 07:49:24 AM »
FYI on Monache Meadows.
From the Shell station on 395, it's like 4 hours minimum to camp.  From Black Rock (Bear?) ranger station, it's easily an hour + off road.
At least when we went there in 2014. 

Gorgeous place that deserves a trip all on it's own.

View from the privy. 
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/539/wC7xjK.jpg
Cerro Gordo 2018

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/537/xEDFx9.jpg
Cerro Gordo 2018

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/906/QXKD6M.jpg
Cerro Gordo 2018

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/904/WRhDRa.png
Cerro Gordo 2018

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/906/mBzzVK.jpg
Cerro Gordo 2018

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/674/gkCn8P.jpg
Cerro Gordo 2018

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/674/meD3cY.jpg
Cerro Gordo 2018

Sorry for the thread derail.
Thanks Steve... Makes me want to rethink going up for just one night...

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks Steve... Makes me want to rethink going up for just one night...

Just make sure you de-pressurize your porta-potty this time.....
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 08:19:06 PM »
In case anyone is interested:

For those of you spending the night in Lone Pine, Heather and were just there.  We had an excellent Chinese food dinner at the Merry Go Round.  It might look a bit hokey, but it was really very good.  As good if not better than all of the Chinese places we know in San Diego.  Portions were almost too big. They also have an American menu, in case not everyone in the group is up for Chinese.

For an expensive, but also good dinner, Seasons had a nice menu with a fair amount of variety.  I was surprised to find a place like that in a town that small.  It was a bit pricey though - but they did have a can of Guinness behind the bar (not on the menu) so at least I could have something other than water to drink.  It was crowded though, and they we were lucky to get a table without a reservation on Tuesday night.

Next door to the Dow Villa Motel there is The Grill.  It was okay, but nothing special.  The chicken fried steak dinner was huge.  Breakfast was just okay.  Neither were bad though, and they have a lot of seating if needed. Service was good too.

The Alabama Hills Cafe (just off Main on Post Street) had very good breakfast, and a lot of food for the money, and really nice people.  Sausage and eggs means four rather large and quite tasty sausage links along with the eggs and good hash browns.  We had breakfast there twice, and it was good both times.

By the way, the Dow Villa Motel is very nice too.  And, it's supposedly haunted, which adds to the adventure.  We did try my ghost hunting app briefly but didn't see anything.  It's in a great location too; walking distance from everything downtown.

Have fun everyone, sorry I can't make the trip.

FrankB

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
Just make sure you de-pressurize your porta-potty this time.....

Ordinarily a cryptic comment like this would cause to ask what was meant . . . but in this case I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 09:51:50 PM »
Here are the cliff notes...

-Prepared camp toilet at home in San Marcos
-Set up said toilet in our tent in Lone Pine, 3000+ feet elevation
-wife used toilet in middle of night, pressure built up and blew up in her face when flushing toilet
-laughter followed, including wife

Celt

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
Here are the cliff notes...

-Prepared camp toilet at home in San Marcos
-Set up said toilet in our tent in Lone Pine, 3000+ feet elevation
-wife used toilet in middle of night, pressure built up and blew up in her face when flushing toilet
-laughter followed, including wife

As much as I like to laugh that event truly had me feeling bad for Mrs. Scuba Dale, she's a sweet woman and I just cannot imagine the mess that ensued in the aftermath. There is a reason she handles the Winter Mojave without so much as a hiccup.

As a side note thanks for the tip on the Chinese place Frank. Last year we went to Lone Pine Pizza and I fear I must take the brunt of the hits on that one. Since I was last there it changed hands management and ownership and wasn't anything like I had experienced on some of my youthful forays up Mt. Whitney pre or post climbs. Mrs. Celt and I stopped by the BBQ place on our way back from the Rubicon last year and had a very disappointing experience as well (Lone Pine Smokehouse) worst customer service I have experienced anywhere. The girl behind the cash register stopped taking our order to start texting and was upset with my wife when she was asking about the menu. Afterwards my wife asked about where we could put our dishes to clear our table and she got mad while blurting out she would take care of it. I know there isn't a lot of job opportunities in places like that as I come from a very small town but I would love to point that young lady in the direction of digging a ditch or bucking hay in the fields during the summer as an alternative and see what her opinion might be?

The issue with many of these big tourist towns is they can get away with mediocre to bad food and service added with high prices because they know their clientele is a one stop shop and will probably never be back. That's how they stay in business and get away with the foolishness. As much as I absolutely despise the social media thing places like Yelp does help with this and can often times force business owners to either step up their game or go out of business. The way to get a great meal and fantastic service while avoiding the others is places like this on our local forums.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:54:47 PM by Celt »

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:08 AM »
The participant list has been revised. 
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 06:42:14 AM »
We're out too.
    Sorry Tony.

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 07:01:33 AM »
We're out too.
    Sorry Tony.

No worries.  List has been revised.

Celt

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 04:41:50 AM »
Hey Woody are you bringing the trailer this year too?

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 07:08:31 AM »
Hey Woody are you bringing the trailer this year too?
Yup.  It survived Death Valley with only a broken spring and I just bought a new tent to go on top, so I have to try it out. 

CANT WAIT!!! :D :D
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Celt

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »
Yup.  It survived Death Valley with only a broken spring and I just bought a new tent to go on top, so I have to try it out. 

CANT WAIT!!! :D :D

Nice....

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
anyone stayed at the Mt Whitney Inn before?  probably going to book a room for thurs/fri night and it looks....ok-ish LOL

FrankB

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »
anyone stayed at the Mt Whitney Inn before?  probably going to book a room for thurs/fri night and it looks....ok-ish LOL

We stayed at the Dow Villa Motel recently, and it was very nice.  We did walk past the Mt. Whitney, but did not look inside.  Definitely not at the same level. You might want to also check where their parking is, if your truck is going to be loaded.  The motel part of the Dow looks like it is either getting booked or pretty pricey for those days, but you might look at the "historic" rooms in the older Dow Hotel building that is part of the same complex.  It's the original hotel from the 1920's.  Not all of the rooms have private baths, but the rates are lower, the location is excellent, and the old building is said to be haunted, so it could be quite the adventure.