Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Cerro Gordo 2018  (Read 24819 times)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Cerro Gordo 2018
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2018, 09:59:02 PM »
What ever happened at Cerro Gordo run, stays in the run....  >:D >:D >:D

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2018, 11:15:05 PM »
I'm really beginning to think that this trip DID NOT HAPPEN.  No pics, no stories, not even some whining.  WTH. 

Did you guys find a dead body... Or create a dead body... Who hasn't come home yet?? 

UFOs, Satanic pact.  The silence is killing me.  Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!!!
What?
Dead Body ?
 Bury ?
Why wasn't I invited  >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2018, 06:07:49 AM »
What?
Dead Body ?
 Bury ?
Why wasn't I invited  >:D
You were.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2018, 09:53:52 AM »
A quick reminder for those who participated to top off their power steering fluid....I just remembered last night

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
Good Call!!!  As some of you may be wondering about the power steering fluid, one of the vehicles with us, Toyota cough cough, had a power steering issue while climbing the technical rock section heading to the first camp site on day one.  Half way through the climb he lost his power steering and luckily still made it to the top where we could check it out.  After initial troubleshooting, it was found that his mechanical linkage was good to go, but his power steering fluid reservoir was empty.  We checked under the vehicle and couldn't see any leaks, so we figured that since his reservoir was empty one of the sensors picked up on this and cut his power steering as a safety measure.  Dale had a booger sucker, small turkey baster for kids, that we all used to suck some power steering fluid from our reservoirs into a Solo Red Cup to collectively fill the reservoir of the Toyota.  Celt luckily had a half bottle of power steering fluid stop leak that ultimately filled the reservoir to the operating limit.  After cycling the steering wheel a couple times to re-introduce fluid back into the rack and pinion gears and expel the air out, the pump quieted down and we were good to go.  About 10 minutes after getting everything buttoned back up and ready to go, the passenger side of his rack and pinion pissed out all the fluid we just put back in.  One of the seals must have gave out.  He ran the rest of the trail with sore fore arms as his power steering was gone.  Have not heard any updates but I hope he got it all fixed and taken care of.   

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2018, 12:51:33 AM »
Fyi, nissans do not use power steering fluid.   Nissan has always used ATF for the power steering.  The FSM says to use "nissan power steering fluid" and in the notes that Dextron VI aka ATF is also suitable.   Alot of PS leaks are caused by people using the wrong fluid.  Power steering fluid is much thinner than ATF.

Your Toyota buddy will probably want to make sure to use power steering fluid with whatever it is supposed to use, probably normal power steering fluid.  Thicker fluid could overwork the pump and kill it after he replaces the rack.

/nerd
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:54:21 AM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2018, 12:05:59 PM »
So to get technical, yes all the fluid removed from the power steering reservoirs was ATF, therefore making the ATF, the power steering fluid  :P.  The guy that broke down made an appointment with Toyota to get it fixed under warranty so I am sure they will put an approved fluid back in.