Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Alabama Hills - Lone Pine, CA  (Read 2984 times)

FrankB

Alabama Hills - Lone Pine, CA
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:14:52 PM »
Just got back from 3 nights at Mammoth Lakes and 1 night in Lone Pine.  We made a very brief stop in the Alabama Hills early this morning before leaving Lone Pine for San Diego.  After last night's monsoon rains it was starting to clear up nicely.  Still sorting through pics from the trip, but here are a few from this morning.

When we passed through here on Monday afternoon the smoke from the Georges Fire was so bad you could not see Mt. Whitney at all.

Here's one last shot, to keep it Xterra related.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Alabama Hills - Lone Pine, CA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »
What I want to know is how is Burt doing?
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »
What I want to know is how is Burt doing?

Unfortunately we didn't stay long enough to find out.  Rolled into Lone Pine around 5:30pm on Thursday in a torrential monsoon downpour. Once it let up we walked over to our favorite Chinese restaurant (the Merry Go Round), had an excellent dinner, and that was it after a long day of driving.  We needed to leave Lone Pine early, but the light on the mountains was so good that I had to make a quick stop in the Alabama Hills before hitting the road.  I want to go back and spend more time exploring in the Alabama Hills.  I have the book that shows where a lot of the movies were filmed.  I'm also thinking that at least one of the functions of the ghost hunting app I have on my phone would also work for sensing Graboids.  It measures vibration - I've tested it and it does work.

Celt

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »
I have heard there is some good wheeling in them thar hills but don't know for sure. I wonder if an Xcursion might not be in order for a couple days out there? Since you have the Graboid App you should be ok but the Ass Blasters are another story.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
Alabama hills excursion has Rick written all over it. I always been fascinated about that place but never had the cajones to go by myself.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
Alabama hills excursion has Rick written all over it. I always been fascinated about that place but never had the cajones to go by myself.
I've never been up there, but I'd definitely like to check it out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »

No cajones needed.  It's all really easy driving on graded dirt roads; and you must know that the Graboids are not real (well, except for the one I got a selfie standing next to in the Film Museum in Lone Pine, that one is real).

Seriously, you don't even need 4WD to wander around out there, unless maybe on some of the smaller tracks if the sand gets deep.  It's not really a wheeling trip as much as it is a wandering around looking at very cool scenery sort of trip.  Some nice hiking too.  The main road through the hills, Movie Road, is very wide and fairly smooth (but washboarded).  It has to be, since it still gets used for camera vehicles.  The side trails are also fairly well graded but not as wide.  There are lots of good camping spots, some climbing areas, and just a whole bunch of places to wander on foot.  You can pick up a guide book that shows where a lot of the old movies and TV shows were filmed.  All the sets are cleaned off immediately after filming of course, but the rock formations don't change, and you can recognize them with a bit of imagination (and guidance from the book).

The town of Lone Pine is just a few miles away.  We like to stay right in town at the Dow Villa Motel, which is probably the best place in town.  Rates are reasonable and you can't beat the location.  It was built in 1957 but the interiors of the rooms have been modernized and it is quite nice.  The older Dow Villa Hotel that is at the same location was built in 1923.  It's rooms are smaller and may not have the same amenities, but it can be a bit less price too.  It's also considered historic, and said to be haunted.  Lots of movie history here too.

We spent 3 nights in Lone Pine at the beginning of May, and could have stayed longer.  There is a lot to see within 50 miles of town, including Cerro Gordo, Alabama Hills, Whitney Portal, Manzanar, the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery at Independence, and Star Wars Canyon in Death Valley.  You could even get up to Bristlecone Pines and back in a day if you didn't mind more driving.  There are several good restaurants in town, more good ones I think than Bishop even.

Celt

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »
 "You must know that the Graboids are not real".......... I beg to differ and have some actual factual footage of their carnage. May I present to you Lumbricus Horribilius: