Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Lift Kit  (Read 8480 times)

PanmassacreX

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2012 Xterra X
Lift Kit
« on: May 08, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the world of Xterras! I recently purchased a 2012 X model and I'm looking to lift it so I can fit an A/T 285/75R16 tires on it. My question is to all that's familiar, whats the best height lift that I should be looking at to install front and back in order to clear the bigger tires with no rubbing? Second question is, what are the different type of lift kits did you guys decide to use for this application? And of course, please share some badass photos of your rigs with this application. Thanks!

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: Lift Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:11:29 PM »
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:21:06 PM by Jayrat »
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 07:30:27 AM »
Even more of a cheaper and basic lift is to Bilstein Adjustable 5100s in the front, perhaps with a 1 in setting and a 1 inch spacer lift, or just the Bilsteins set to at least 1.5in.  Then do a double add a leaf in the rear.  This gets you about 2 inches.  When you go above that height you start needing much more like longer shocks in the rear, longer brake lines, shims, etc.  No matter what you will need to do the melt mod but that is 5 minutes per side and only needs a heat gun or blow dryer and a piece of wood to push on the plastic.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 08:26:58 AM »
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the world of Xterras! I recently purchased a 2012 X model and I'm looking to lift it so I can fit an A/T 285/75R16 tires on it. My question is to all that's familiar, whats the best height lift that I should be looking at to install front and back in order to clear the bigger tires with no rubbing? Second question is, what are the different type of lift kits did you guys decide to use for this application? And of course, please share some badass photos of your rigs with this application. Thanks!
Both Jeff and Jay hit it on the head with their suggestions.  As Jay mentioned, you can fit 285s on stock height, you'll just need to work the fenders.  What lift you go with will depend on what you really want to do with your X.  If your goal is go out on desert trips and do a fair amount of off-road driving, you won't be able to beat the PRG kit Jay posted. If you just want a mild lift to clear the tires a little better, go with the 5100s Jeff suggested. 

Below are a couple of pictures of my X.  The first pic is from the first lift I installed, the Nisstec brand coilover kit.  I was siting at about 2.0" of lift and the pic will give you a good representation of 2.0" with 285s.  The second is after I Titan swapped, still with 285s.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

PanmassacreX

• 2012 Xterra X
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »
You can fit 285 75 R16's by doing a simple Melt Mod
https://www.xterranation.org/index.php?threads/how-to-the-melt-mod-33-tires-on-2nd-gen.2992/
If you want more lift  the basic lift a lot of us have gone with is
https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/xterra-advanced-coilover-package-w-prg-upper-a-arms

Thanks so much for taking your time to reply. Its certainly Helpful!

PanmassacreX

• 2012 Xterra X
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
Even more of a cheaper and basic lift is to Bilstein Adjustable 5100s in the front, perhaps with a 1 in setting and a 1 inch spacer lift, or just the Bilsteins set to at least 1.5in.  Then do a double add a leaf in the rear.  This gets you about 2 inches.  When you go above that height you start needing much more like longer shocks in the rear, longer brake lines, shims, etc.  No matter what you will need to do the melt mod but that is 5 minutes per side and only needs a heat gun or blow dryer and a piece of wood to push on the plastic.

Hey JeffBett, I actually contacted Nisstec and they told me about going this route, just doing as much research as I can to see what I would need to retain a good ride and nothing that's too stiff or to soft.

PanmassacreX

• 2012 Xterra X
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:38:12 AM »
Both Jeff and Jay hit it on the head with their suggestions.  As Jay mentioned, you can fit 285s on stock height, you'll just need to work the fenders.  What lift you go with will depend on what you really want to do with your X.  If your goal is go out on desert trips and do a fair amount of off-road driving, you won't be able to beat the PRG kit Jay posted. If you just want a mild lift to clear the tires a little better, go with the 5100s Jeff suggested. 

Below are a couple of pictures of my X.  The first pic is from the first lift I installed, the Nisstec brand coilover kit.  I was siting at about 2.0" of lift and the pic will give you a good representation of 2.0" with 285s.  The second is after I Titan swapped, still with 285s.

Nice rig RikRong! thanks for the response, I will definitely look into both setups. I'm an avid mountain biker so I just have to figure out whats more feasible for me between the two. That titan swap looks so good!

PanmassacreX

• 2012 Xterra X
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:42:44 AM »
One more thing I have to ask though, I've heard some negative press about PRG and Nisstec about shipments being late? I'm currently in Chicago but will be in SD in a couple of months for good. Anybody else have had any experience ordering through them?

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
One more thing I have to ask though, I've heard some negative press about PRG and Nisstec about shipments being late? I'm currently in Chicago but will be in SD in a couple of months for good. Anybody else have had any experience ordering through them?
Personally, I never had a problem with PRG, but the writing is on the wall, other people definitely have issues with PRG.  I actually had more problems with Nisstec when I ordered my Radflos.  I received misquoted shipping times and it took about 2 months for the order to come, after a quoted 3-4 week lead time.  Another option for you is CJD Racing, a newer company coming into the X and Frontier scene.  They are quite experienced with Nissan Titans, but just recently moved into the smaller trucks.  You can get Radflos through them or directly through Radflo, which is also in SoCal.  Another consideration, if you want the 5100s is to source them yourself from RockAuto, Amazon, or something similar. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

PanmassacreX

• 2012 Xterra X
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
Personally, I never had a problem with PRG, but the writing is on the wall, other people definitely have issues with PRG.  I actually had more problems with Nisstec when I ordered my Radflos.  I received misquoted shipping times and it took about 2 months for the order to come, after a quoted 3-4 week lead time.  Another option for you is CJD Racing, a newer company coming into the X and Frontier scene.  They are quite experienced with Nissan Titans, but just recently moved into the smaller trucks.  You can get Radflos through them or directly through Radflo, which is also in SoCal.  Another consideration, if you want the 5100s is to source them yourself from RockAuto, Amazon, or something similar.

You're right, thanks for the advice!

PanmassacreX

• 2012 Xterra X
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »

By the way, do you know if anything else extra is needed for those lifts mentioned above? extras such as sway bar relocation brackets?

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »

By the way, do you know if anything else extra is needed for those lifts mentioned above? extras such as sway bar relocation brackets?

What is a sway bar??
Isaiah 6:8

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 09:16:48 PM »
I started off small
With the Rough Country lift kit from amazon with 285s and the melt mod.

After about a year and saving a bit like the guys said switched over to prg kit with some radflos. I had a bit of shipping issues but think it was greg was overall good and informative and hooked it up when stuff was delayed longer and through in a small upgrade to what i got.
This group will help you out though
Pic 1 out the stealership
Pic2 how it stands now with the help of these guys

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
  What is a sway bar??

This is true! You won't need either, RSB for sure (no handling issues), FSB once you've upgraded to heavier springs, i.e. 600+ lbs. 

I'm on the PRG SPC Advanced kit, Radflo coilovers at 650s, no handling issues, just get used to a little more front end sway and adapt to how the truck works. But helps a lot when wheeling esp. with articulation!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:45:57 AM by x4dblduty »

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 11:47:46 AM »
*Self serving comment incoming*

You could also look at used stuff.
For example, I'm going to be getting new titan length radflos here pretty soon.
I'm going to have a pair of xterra length 2.5" extended radflo's with 650# springs on them for sale. (the ones that came in my PRG advanced kit when I bought that)
They will definitely need a rebuild, but that's a week turn around opposed to 1-2 months waiting for new ones.
I also have Radflo rear resi shocks that would work well for a 2-3" lift that I use to run before I got longer shocks when I titan swapped. 

Welcome to the group BTW. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)